Okay, so how DOES one create a custom race with a head?

Asterra

This needs to be a FAQ. At least half of the headaches I have encountered over the last week have stemmed from the fact that I could not create a custom race with a custom head. I was following this otherwise thorough guide: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/15265/? But when it got to the point where it basically said "Custom head? No can do. Moving on." I started looking elsewhere for my solution, and thought I found it with Mojave Delight (by basically sabotaging one of its built-in races). Unfortunately, when it came time to add Lings to my "custom race" (aka Mojave Delight) per the guide, well, FONV sure didn't like me adding that flag to that mod, because it crashes. I can only assume that Mojave Delight's inherent differences from just a single custom race .esp are to blame, which brings me right back to square one.

A lot of people have hinted to me that adding a custom head is not difficult at all, once you know what you need to do. That's what makes the procedure's absence from any guide so conspicuous. Anyone willing to take a crack at this, or point me to where the how-to was already laid down? I'd appreciate it.

Yeah, u can make custom head east with blender there is a tric to it.

It is not easy but it is alot easier than making a real custom head.

The thing is that if u dont have same vertex count and vertex order the facegen system will destroy the mesh cause its not compatible with existing morph files those are the tris and mtl or something.

been like over 2 years so i haved to jog the memory a bit, hope im remembering it right.

Import the head mesh on blender. u got head mesh and u can modify it but no removing or adding vertices . now u cannot export this as nif or it will change vertex order and mess it all up, also keep the object center at the same spot it was before. then u move the head to xyz000 with ur 3d cursor. The reason for moving it to xyz000 is so that the obj will contain its proper location so u can nifskope it bakc on without having eyes that fall on the ground in the game and stuff.

export it as obj file and nifskope it back onto the head nif. U gota use translation control to replace the head where its supposed to be high enough to rest on the body. note that eyes,teeth etc are not included with your head mesh and u gota mod those separately if u gota. i dont know the details about it tho but its probly just like making hairs so, u know the drill with those.

good luck on ur project.

I have learned, belatedly. but the recent version of nifskopes breaking uv maps when u obj import. its not good u might try selecting the destination nitrishape node prior to import and see if ur uv is not munged or missing, or maybe just use older version of nifskope cause it works on older version.

You should go ahead tho and make sure that since there is new version try export as nif and see if it still meses up ur morphing before trying the other stuff.

Edited by baduk