Megaton Upgraded

darkus37

I recently decided to replay F3 and while doing so, I realized that a huge disappointment Megaton turned out to be. This is supposed to be the only real city other than Rivet City? Honestly, I felt that there was so much more that could be added to Megaton to really make it feel like the actions you took during the game had some payoff at the end (I'm not getting started on the lame ending that had no real payoff i.e. what the quests you did resulted in). Megaton had a quest to repair the pipe systems and then to bring back scrap metal. This never ending quest seemed like the perfect opportunity to change how Megaton worked and to have it become more like Vault City.

My first visual example would be that after brining back a certain amount of metal, the megaton bomb could be moved so that it is no longer in a radiated crater, but actually on top of a pedestal that the has the bomb as a sort of statue (and placed upright). Further enhancements could be the removal of all the dirt and have a sort of multi-level metal crater instead - this would allow underground chambers to be excavated that could contain all sorts of new vendors and rooms. The internal city could be straightened out and placed in orderly patterns like a real city. Further changes would be reinforced walls with turrets (added after bringing back sufficient scrap metal, fission batteries, and conductors). The militia of Megaton could be upgraded from Deputy Weld and a sniper to an additional 4 roving guys that you could upgrade with better weapons and armor (from leather armor to power armor/pistols to plasma rifles). As the city expands and gets stronger and more powerful, you get elected mayor and get a steady cut of the profits (I was thinking about the Canterbury Commons and how there could be a quest to forge a trade route). Caravans back and forth could also be upgraded and expanded from two guys and a brahmin to six guys and two brahmin. Canterbury Commons could have an upgradeable building as well, going from a run down building with refuse everywhere into a nice, repaired, and reinforced outpost for the caravan to visit and then return back to Megaton.

I get that this would take a lot of work and that it's probably impossible but I've seen a lot of cool mods on this site and I really think someone can do it - but just imagining the navmesh makes me think it's gonna be a long time before this could be a reality :).

Archived