the nifskope

StahlPunk

well i've finally figured out what i wanted. i added three "prop" weapons to my sword mesh. but now, one weapon stays on my back like its supposed to, but the other two swing around with my true weapon.... any ideas on what i did wrong with it?

heres the images:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8497/screenshot51v.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9394/screenshot52z.jpg

A Nif-Skope tutorial can be found by clicking the "Help" tab, but what I want to know is what program do you use to edit DDS texture files? :confused:

i use paint.net and gimp. there are dds plugins for both. However gimp is the only one with normal map plugins. I like paint.net because the interface is smoother and i feel more comfortable using its tools. However, you cannot do without gimp. Also, i found when saving on these programs use dxt3 setting and check the create minimaps. Without it you texture will not work properly. Or you can simple use the dds convertor.

A Nif-Skope tutorial can be found by clicking the "Help" tab, but what I want to know is what program do you use to edit DDS texture files? :confused:

unfortunately things like my problem aren't covered by the tutorials i've watched, but i've also found out my problem is going to have to be solved by means of 3dsmax or blender.

as far as texture files, i think GIMP is wonderful.

Slightly OT, but anyone interested in making new textures should check out MapZone, which creates both textures and true normal maps of those textures (Gimp's normal map tool is very useful but it's a development of the emboss function that other image progs have, and doesn't produce true normal maps in the strictest sense of the term).

MapZone usefully comes with a bunch of ready-made textures (that can be modified as much as you like), and its a free download.

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/

roquefort.... that program is sheer awesome mixed with batman.

Now, I have been creating my textures with remotely but similar methods - creating maps in a vector program first and then mixing it up on tens of layers in photoshop.

Needles to say - it was both time consuming and cumbersome. This little program does the same, just better and for less wow. Amazing.

Kudos.

Then again I started meddling with it in the middle of writing my CV, that means that I must hate you now.

Ok, not really ;D.

roquefort.... that program is sheer awesome mixed with batman.

Now, I have been creating my textures with remotely but similar methods - creating maps in a vector program first and then mixing it up on tens of layers in photoshop.

Needles to say - it was both time consuming and cumbersome. This little program does the same, just better and for less wow. Amazing.

Kudos.

Then again I started meddling with it in the middle of writing my CV, that means that I must hate you now.

Ok, not really ;D.

Hah :D Yes it does get very absorbing, especially since it isn't the most intuitive prog around, at least initially. I'm still exploring its possibilities and I've had it for months..

i use paint.net and gimp. there are dds plugins for both. However gimp is the only one with normal map plugins. I like paint.net because the interface is smoother and i feel more comfortable using its tools. However, you cannot do without gimp. Also, i found when saving on these programs use dxt3 setting and check the create minimaps. Without it you texture will not work properly. Or you can simple use the dds convertor.

There are actually quite a few normal map plugins for paint.net, at least 5 different ones if I remember correctly (i have 2 of them) as well as tools for altering several different channels of your image of extracting channels altogether. Do a search on their forums :)

• 5 months later...

Hey worm82075 can you model me a good looking set of sharks and fish?

I want Great White Sharks, Bull Sharks, Crabs, tons of fish(as many as possible fro ecosystem mod), greenland shark, whale shark, blue shark, mako shark, prianna, eels, deep water fish. I hope to have them by the end of this year.

I need a biodiversity of 25, for the first release, that is just for the under water ecosystem. I am hoping to have some one if they choose to make a musket for land farmers. Along with 19 differnt animals for land then my next patch is to make a economy, and a new country, made of 4 colonies. Complete with very own quests and dialogue.

If this is unresonable can worm82075 you tell me who i can ask or if i should change my plans a bit?