Game engines like the "Creation Engine"?

Good evening everybody!

I love FO4 and working on custom worldspace mods for FO4 but the worldspace size limit is just so annoying.

I'm honestly afraid to ask but: How big are your worldspaces? It took Bethesda years to finish the Commonwealth worldspace with a whole team and it's quite large imho. So I assume that you're going for like super large projects?
What other years? ) It took ~6 months from the end of work on the new engine in 2015 to the release of fo4. Bethesda made fo4 in 6 months.

Could you please elaborate on that. I don't quite get what you're saying. Do you mean that they did the whole worldspace and all of its interiors plus all of the quests and testing in just 6 months?

Yeah. Most likely, packages ... Models, animations, textures, sounds, etc., were prepared before, and by the end of work on the engine, or in the process, they were exported to fo4 formats. But the assembly of the whole game itself: the world, interiors, main and minor quests, was done in about 6 months. It is also known that the game was mercilessly cut, just to be in time for the release. The script was simplified 3 times. Remained concept art from the original plot. There is nothing left of the intended game.

I honestly highly doubt that. Why would you need a final build of the game to be able to run it or for the CK to function? Why not just use "WIP" builds of the game as soon as they become available? This makes no sense from a game design(especially Bethesda's approach) and programming point of few. Bethesda uses an iterative design process and they, afaik, want to get to a playable state asap. E.g.: Do the layout of a level, throw in some test navmesh and test it immediately - which obviously requires them to have at least something to run as soon as they start LD work in any capacity, even if it's just a super early version of the game they're currently working on. And then they just add things as they become available or upgrade things along the way.

You don't need an executable or even the CK to create assets anyway. All you need is the measurements of a given object and the position of pivot points to start work on the core kits for the modular LD system or pretty much any other object for that matter. But even if you can theoretically build them before you start working on the game, you want to actually test them ingame asap to iron out any potential bugs and to get feedback and obviously also to put your level designers to work. Additionally, I highly doubt that they did all of the level design, quest implementation and testing in just six month. While the guys at Bethesda may be fast, this is just way too little time, especially considering that the core team that worked on F4 was actually fairly small when compared to other companies in the industry who work on similar games in terms of size and complexity.

Good evening everybody!

I love FO4 and working on custom worldspace mods for FO4 but the worldspace size limit is just so annoying.

I'm honestly afraid to ask but: How big are your worldspaces? It took Bethesda years to finish the Commonwealth worldspace with a whole team and it's quite large imho. So I assume that you're going for like super large projects?
What other years? ) It took ~6 months from the end of work on the new engine in 2015 to the release of fo4. Bethesda made fo4 in 6 months.

Could you please elaborate on that. I don't quite get what you're saying. Do you mean that they did the whole worldspace and all of its interiors plus all of the quests and testing in just 6 months?

Yeah. Most likely, packages ... Models, animations, textures, sounds, etc., were prepared before, and by the end of work on the engine, or in the process, they were exported to fo4 formats. But the assembly of the whole game itself: the world, interiors, main and minor quests, was done in about 6 months. It is also known that the game was mercilessly cut, just to be in time for the release. The script was simplified 3 times. Remained concept art from the original plot. There is nothing left of the intended game.

I honestly highly doubt that. Why would you need a final build of the game to be able to run it or for the CK to function? Why not just use "WIP" builds of the game as soon as they become available? This makes no sense from a game design(especially Bethesda's approach) and programming point of few. Bethesda uses an iterative design process and they, afaik, want to get to a playable state asap. E.g.: Do the layout of a level, throw in some test navmesh and test it immediately - which obviously requires them to have at least something to run as soon as they start LD work in any capacity, even if it's just a super early version of the game they're currently working on. And then they just add things as they become available or upgrade things along the way.

You don't need an executable or even the CK to create assets anyway. All you need is the measurements of a given object and the position of pivot points to start work on the core kits for the modular LD system or pretty much any other object for that matter. But even if you can theoretically build them before you start working on the game, you want to actually test them ingame asap to iron out any potential bugs and to get feedback and obviously also to put your level designers to work. Additionally, I highly doubt that they did all of the level design, quest implementation and testing in just six month. While the guys at Bethesda may be fast, this is just way too little time, especially considering that the core team that worked on F4 was actually fairly small when compared to other companies in the industry who work on similar games in terms of size and complexity.

Well, it turns out that way, if you believe the dates that were announced. In 13 they started working on the engine, only at 15 they announced that the work on the engine was finished, after 6 months they released the game. ) I don't know if it's possible to edit levels without a ready-made engine? At the same time, according to Todd Howard, the actors began recording future dialogues / monologues right in 13. ) Bethesda released an album of concept art by their artists from '14 where we can't recognize anything other than what looks like Sanctuary Hills.

You don't need to "finish" the work on the engine in order to start production. As I've stated before: an early build, even if it's lackluster, is completely enough. You just need something that you can run or that can be used for the CK.

You don't need to "finish" the work on the engine in order to start production. As I've stated before: an early build, even if it's lackluster, is completely enough. You just need something that you can run or that can be used for the CK.

ck is a tool for moders. bethesda doesn't make in ck games. ck was compiled from new and old tools by bethesda itself and ck for Skyrim in 2016. As far as it's been discussed in some threads, bethesda workstations don't even have Windows. The level editor itself is a game engine with a bunch of additional libraries with bgs tools. This allows you to build in real time. Those, they can add the resource in real time, in game rendering, and see how it behaves. Customize it, make changes during the execution of the game scenario. Edited by South8028

ck is a tool for moders. bethesda doesn't make in ck games. ck was compiled from new and old tools by bethesda itself and ck for Skyrim in 2016. As far as it's been discussed in some threads, bethesda workstations don't even have Windows. The level editor itself is a game engine with a bunch of additional libraries with bgs tools. This allows you to build in real time. Those, they can add the resource in real time, in game rendering, and see how it behaves. Customize it, make changes during the execution of the game scenario.

They make their games in the CK, whether it's a version that is slightly different to the one that is released to the public doesn't matter. The name also doesn't matter. The CK has been around since Morrowind, altough it was named differently back then. It's their tool to build the world and implement the quests. You can literally see this by watching all the documentaries about their games and it has been explicitly stated by BGS themselves. The CK somehow using/loading parts of the engine is also given, but this doesn't contradict the fact that you can just use an early build of the engine as long as it's compatible with the CK/running properly to start building, which was the point that I made.

Just watch a making of of one of their games or listen to their GDC talks. You'll see what I mean and get a better understanding of how they actually make their games.

ck is a tool for moders. bethesda doesn't make in ck games. ck was compiled from new and old tools by bethesda itself and ck for Skyrim in 2016. As far as it's been discussed in some threads, bethesda workstations don't even have Windows. The level editor itself is a game engine with a bunch of additional libraries with bgs tools. This allows you to build in real time. Those, they can add the resource in real time, in game rendering, and see how it behaves. Customize it, make changes during the execution of the game scenario.

They make their games in the CK, whether it's a version that is slightly different to the one that is released to the public doesn't matter. The name also doesn't matter. The CK has been around since Morrowind, altough it was named differently back then. It's their tool to build the world and implement the quests. You can literally see this by watching all the documentaries about their games and it has been explicitly stated by BGS themselves. The CK somehow using/loading parts of the engine is also given, but this doesn't contradict the fact that you can just use an early build of the engine as long as it's compatible with the CK/running properly to start building, which was the point that I made.

Just watch a making of of one of their games or listen to their GDC talks. You'll see what I mean and get a better understanding of how they actually make their games.

Bethesda's internal tool like ck doesn't have to be ck. ) This topic has already been discussed several times on ll, and no one knows anything exactly how the bethesda station works. People build hypotheses and nothing more. Someone from the Beth reps said something about the fact that they work on something similar to ck - I don't care about this, because I myself have not seen their internal tool. Anything can be said. I personally believe that Beth has a tool many times more powerful than ck. Logically, this is most likely a virtual machine based on ce itself. The game is made directly in the engine itself, simply because it is hundreds of times faster than doing it in primitive ck.