Why can't I use the sethealth 0 command on Brynjolf?

Guest deleted2027229

Guest deleted2027229

I want to kill him with the console when I enter Riften to avoid him forcing a quest, but this command which works fine for other NPCs doesn't work on Brynjolf? Note: I have disabled essential NPCs from the Skyrim.ini, so how can I simply remove him from the game before he forced his quest on me?

When I want to wipe them out, I usually do setessential then just kill them with weapons. That works for Maul, Maven, etc., but not for Brynjolf. He's also invulnerable. For him, I do the setessential 0 command, then I click on him with the console pointer and type damageav health 10000 and down he goes.

*edit - I don't use the .ini, so if you're not familiar, the setessential command goes like this. Use the help command to find the refid (we'll use Maul for example 3be26). Then setessential with 1 or non-essential with 0.

help maul

setessential 3be26 0

Edited by thumbincubation

Guest deleted2027229

He's Invulnerable. Best to click on him and type: tai

PS. Killing him would stop the quest: "A Cornered Rat" from starting.

Can you explain how the tai command would make him killable? As mentioned I have already disabled essential NPC from the ini. And I couldn't care less about being locked out of the quest.

Guest deleted2027229

PS. Essential and Invulnerable aren't the same thing.

I didn't know that, how does this work engine-wise? Can I disable Brynjolfs immortal status via the Creation Kit?

I guess it works the same as the Child flag, blocking damage.

Check his flags in either the CK or TES5Edit and you'll see that he has been set to Essential and Invulnerable. Removing the latter will... well, you know what it'll let you do.

Edited by SatansComrade