Mod Hypothetical - Doubling Skyrim Landmass

TheFinalTier

Although it would be a huge pain, it occured to me we could double Skyrim's landmass (or more, I suppose) by halving characters and buildings. In theory, we could do this for everything but the landscape; all the trees, all the npcs and enemies, all the buildings and clutter throughout the world etc. As long as you readjusted the camera, skeleton and movespeedmult for everyone, it'd probably still work I imagine, and look the same.

There are mods that have readjusted race skeletons very well. You could leave certain enemy-types at their regular scale for a more fantastical feel, such as Giants and Dragons, or include them too. But it occured to me the other day that technically we could double the Tamriel exterior worldspace. It's just be a pain in the arse.

There's not really a point to this. Just thought it was a cool image; making the whiterun tundra twice as long to trek across; more space to add in more villages and whatnot without things being cramped. Obviously we haven't actually added any additional space but we'd have twice the space to work with. High Hrothgar and the Throat of the World would feel more imposing and out of reach etc.

Just a cool thought, if a stupid one.

A few problems I can see with this just off the top of my head:

1. The huge pain in the butt you mention is so vast it would be impractical. EVERYTHING would have to be redone. That includes all mods that place things.
  2. Height physics would be completely messed up (you could fall quite a distance without getting hurt). See #5 for a related issue.
  3. Grass quantity and height would be another major problem. Since grass isn't as simple as placing objects, the limitations of the grass system would be a huge problem.
  4. Water... ripple size and spacing would be messed up.
  5. This (water scaling) also brings up another scaling problem: View scale. While changing the size of a person would make them "smaller", the camera scale would be a major problem. I don't think the FOV (field of view) is that cut and dry. You would be a small person looking through a giant's eyes. I have already tested the opposite of this before by setting the player scale to something huge to see how it would work (player.setscale 200). The world doesn't look right.
  6. Changing scale as mentioned in #5 above also messes up havok physics when dealing with objects around you.
Edited by primem0ver

Ah damn that sucks but yeah I see what you're saying. I thought the only issue would be the herculean work effort. I was under the assumption that the camera issues and what not could be fixed. Oh well. My fantasy of using a complete tamriel worldspace and halving everything's scale will have to remain a fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, you can already *effectively* double its land mass by adding Beyond Skyrim Bruma, Beyond Skyrim Reach, and a couple more that are small additions to the existing map which each utilize a small portion of "the-land-behind -the-invisible-wall", one along the sea on the far west running away from Solitude, one South of Falkreath.