Increase amount of followers

Revan770

AFT or Nether's Follower Framework come to mind

Nether's is more recent and afaik more fully featured than the older AFT, although they'll both allow addition of multiple followers.

Use the file search tool in the main Skyrim SE page to search for "Amazing Follower Tweaks" or "Nethers Follower Framework". Again, Nether's is often cited by users as being "better", so even though I'm still living in prehistoric times and use AFT, I'd recommend Nethers

Nether's, (NFF), which we use, allows you to bring up the SKSE Mod menu while in game and tweak followers' behaviors. Tone them down if they're too-aggro, or getting in your way, as you are trying to level up skills, or if they're following too close, for example.

You can have up to ten followers, but if you only need to recruit 3, you can likely just select 3.

What we don't know, despite using it for three years, is if it allows you to recruit NPC's from the game that are not designated by the game to ever be followers for the player. The mod does ask you, when you click on some NPC's, if you want to "import" them into the follower network.

The Mod also jumps over the Serana restriction, where she wants to be your only follower, and lets you recruit her, no matter the stage of her quest, while you have another follower or two or three. But most follower mods manage Serana well.

I have no idea how or who you can recruit using NFF, but with the addition of certain other mods, you can make almost anyone a follower (presuming you have a follower manager like AFT or NFF). At least you can with AFT (again with the addition of certain other mods, like The Manipulator or BOSSE)

I added Serana as a follower as soon as she left her crypt, on multiple occasions, using AFT. So either is fine for that.

NFF allows more followers and it allows finer control over follower behaviors than AFT. It's better... But it's not exclusively usable.

Again I'd recommend NFF for someone new.

For some old schlock like me who until recently had a base of followers, And had installed AFT to manage them, and didn't/doesn't want to disrupt their follower assignments, AFT was/is fine