Is it safe to update to AE?

walker6625

Hello

So, I've been playing Skyrim SE for years. Then the whole "modpocalypse" thing happened. I've so far avoided the update, but I've been away from the game since AE's release. Recently, I started it up again. I haven't changed anything in my load order, but I'm encountering some issues. So I was wondering, would it be "safe" to just update the game and my mods? Are there any major mods that haven't been updated yet? And is it true that the AE update really only broke SKSE and mods dependent on it?

Cheers

Considering that a large number of mods are SKSE dependent, for anyone who isn't simply using vanilla Skyrim, I wouldn't trivialize that change as "only", but I can see how some people would do so. Some people also think it's great to dump-install 20 or 30 mods back to back without any intermediary testing and then holler for others to hand hold them through fixing the mess they've made of their game. And others (often the same as in the previous example) who believe in their heart of hearts that slicing their primary harddrive into 1990s-style partitions is required (an like totally like leet like) ,and that one should never ever ever never install anything to root, in fact often going so far as to stupidly partition a root drive with only the bare minimum of space to hold the OS and a ~30% padding on that space....in a day and age where one can purchase a 1TB drive for a figurative song.

In any case, it's technically "safe", ie, it's not going to infect your computer with a virus or burn out your CPU or GPU.

There will be some work involved. How much I can't say. You mod list is your mod list, so that could mean very little work, or a significant amount of work on your part.

Not all mods are compatible with AE (just as many LE mods are incompatible for use with SE) . Many have been "converted" or replaced with ~equivalents. Some mods are only suitable for "AE" (1.6x).

There is an SKSE for "AE"

In addition to the post above:

That list may help:

https://modding.wiki/en/skyrim/users/skse-plugins

Originally, it was made to show, which mods are already updated to AE and which aren't. But you could also use it as a guide to show you, which of your mods might need an update for AE.

Regarding "safety": As anjethedog said, AE won't destroy your computer, kill cute kitties or eat your dog. Since updating probably means you have to change / update sveral mods though, I wouldn't recommend updating during a playthrough. It's basically the old rule: Don't change your mod setup during a playthrough...

If you logged on to Steam then you are probably already playing SSE AE as Steam automatically updates SSE as soon as you open the site if you have SSE in your games. Which could be why you are encountering some issues now.

Your approach is probably best, just pay particular attention to the mod authors description of the mod, they will usually tell you what version of SSE the mod is for if it is different than the original SSE. I would also recommend using the link that Algabar posted as it is quite useful when first modding the AE version of SSE.

You may want to go to your Skyrim Special Edition folder and check for exactly what version of SSE you are playing.