The mystery of the tolling bell

anjenthedog

Ok, so this has been nibbling away at my (figurative) sanity for quite a while now

There's this big gong/Low church bell sound "Dunnnnnnngggggggg", followed by a choral "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh" that happens occasionally.

My intuitive presumption early on in the game, was that it was some sort of annunciator that one had basically "completed their mission" or something similar.

But over the past ~3 years, I've become more and more perplexed as to what the <blank> it really means, and why it "sounds" when it does. Sometimes after I've fast travelled somewhere, sometimes just out of the blue, sometimes it even repeats 3, 4, 5 times before it stops annoying me

I effectively dropped the normal " game vector a long long time ago, (on the order of a year ago) and am following my own "LAL" path (I don't use LAL), so it doesn't seem to be associated with any game progression thing.

Can anyone clue me in to what it means?

Sounds like the "you have discovered a new...." notification.

At first, I was thinking the Decree of the Arbiter from the Forgotten City, but that is unforgettably epic and prone to glitching, so it becomes the only sound for the rest of the game. >.<

Edited by thumbincubation

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's a new notification, but perhaps I'm not describing it correctly. I'm pretty certain it's part of the vanilla game (SE, don't have LE), as it was sounding occasionally even before I started to mod the game heavily.

it often (although not always) sounds when I arrive back home after being "out for a while" or if I fast-travel somewhere away from the main quest flow, if that sheds any clues.

I do have an xwm converter somewhere, but there are only a small handful of xwms in my /data/music folder (most are from the Beyond skyrim reach mod)

ext_travel_swadian_6.xwm

intromusic1.xwm

intromusic1-old.xwm

Thunder Dreams.xwm

and a few more in a subfolder for Halofarm Radio that I placed myself (ambient music)