(WIP) Fallout 3 Quality Sound Replacement

Pepper26

What type of sound card are you using?

it is a somewhat old sound blaster, audigy 2 SE. I haven't had the money to buy a new one, but I just may have to. it's worked for years now without problems.

it is a somewhat old sound blaster, audigy 2 SE. I haven't had the money to buy a new one, but I just may have to. it's worked for years now without problems.

try adjusting the buffer size. while you are recording you want a small buffer, for playback you want a large buffer.

during mixing and playback, increasing the buffer size will help eliminate jitter. Which is what you are experiencing. I used the Audigy 2 SE about 5 years ago on a portable setup. Depending on how much you have streaming obviously, the card will stress, but the lifespan of these under normal wear and tear audio duress is about 1-2 years. It may be time for a new card.

i'm assuming you have a pc.

check www.sweetwater.com for some audio interfaces, keep your audigy for regular stuff, and use a firewire or USB interface for your work.

try adjusting the buffer size. while you are recording you want a small buffer, for playback you want a large buffer.

during mixing and playback, increasing the buffer size will help eliminate jitter. Which is what you are experiencing. I used the Audigy 2 SE about 5 years ago on a portable setup. Depending on how much you have streaming obviously, the card will stress, but the lifespan of these under normal wear and tear audio duress is about 1-2 years. It may be time for a new card.

i'm assuming you have a pc.

check www.sweetwater.com for some audio interfaces, keep your audigy for regular stuff, and use a firewire or USB interface for your work.

I do have the firewire protools interface, but it really only likes protools which I'm not very good with. some of these are pretty reasonably priced though, I could easily shell out for a $80-$150 one. most of which aren't terribly bad.

• 3 months later...
I haven't had too much trouble with specific sample rates for the sound effects in testing, but things that use an "lpm" loop (gatlings and throwers) do seem to require 32khz to work.

I've tried the minigun and gatling laser with a perfectly timed 44khz sample, and it just doesn't play nice. I've also been keeping a nice duplicate folders structure of the the original, had a few miss-namings but they're fixed now.

What program are you using to edit the sound files? I can't seem to figure out how to create or preserve the loop markers when I edit a lpm.

a lot of reasons,

#1 according to the Nyquist Theory, the audible frequencies of any given sample are roughly half of the sampling rate of the sample, meaning that a 48khz sample will "sound" or be heard by our ears as a sample at 44.1khz, whereas a 44.1khz sample would be heard as a 22050khz range.

#2 there is a long standing debate on whether psychoacoustics (sounds above human hearing range), have any effect whatsoever on the way we perceive sound. I have seen award winning producers mix psychoacoutics into their final mixes, almost all of them do it, and since they are winning grammy's, maybe they are on to something, but it is still all a mystery whether or not is it a fact that we do percieve them, even if we don't hear them.

#3 When you start with a higher sampling rate at the beginning of a recording process, the end product is higher resolution. think of it like a picture, it's easy to imagine, if you took a picture with a camera that only can take .50 megapixel shots, and then tried to blow it up to the size of a billboard, it would have that retarded pixelated effect, but... if you SHRUNK it down to the size of a thumbnail, it would be at a higher resolution. Same goes for sound, the higher the initial sampling rate and bit-rate, the more snapshots or bits will be included in the dumbed down version, there is a process associated with this called Dithering.

there are probably more reasons, but those are three good ones.