A few questions from a new user. Any help would be so appreciated!

kcdrums79

Hi!!

Ok, just to catch you all up. I just got through an initial play test for about a day of around 90 mods. II added everything by simply manual download, dropping it into vortex, deploying, refreshing it on LOOT. It was sloppy, some bugs, but mostly it ran playable and super fun and definitely an upgrade to vanilla. Then i added one mod and a bunch disabled and in trying to figure it out it just went down hill from there. SO. I watched the 350 mods video, and decided to do a fresh restart, following the step by step in the video.

So basically, at this point i just have one main question to start.

More than anything im concerned that its a large amount of diskspace needed, but if i say want a slightly smaller mod list active....can i switch between modlsts without worry? For example, i make a list that ends up not working well, can i switch over to another modlist cleanly so i can keep playing or do i have to uninstall and reinstall the game again for a fresh mod start?

More over, because i wanted a totally fresh restart, i deleted vortex as well. When i reinstalled SSE, and redownloaded Vortex, it showed the mods i had before as active. So i deleted all of them manually from the modlist before initiating the download of the 350 mods list. I dont know if thats necessary or not, ie the list reflects the actual mod files in a folder or if just the archived list?

Maybe very stupid questions but hopefully i can receive a litte advice! Thanks so much.

Hi!!

More than anything im concerned that its a large amount of diskspace needed, but if i say want a slightly smaller mod list active....can i switch between modlsts without worry? For example, i make a list that ends up not working well, can i switch over to another modlist cleanly so i can keep playing or do i have to uninstall and reinstall the game again for a fresh mod start?

You can use Vortex profiles for that. For example, when I build up a new load order, I create "fallback" profiles at certain points. In case something goes wrong further down the road, I can always return to these previous setups. You can use profiles for whatever you want.

Changing mod setups during a playthrough is not recommended though. Basic rule: Don't change your mod setup during a playthrough. Adding mods is less problematic, but you shouldn't remove mods and play on. This is especially important with large and complex mods or with mods, that contain a lot of scripts. You can ruin your savegame, if you change too much.

More over, because i wanted a totally fresh restart, i deleted vortex as well. When i reinstalled SSE, and redownloaded Vortex, it showed the mods i had before as active. So i deleted all of them manually from the modlist before initiating the download of the 350 mods list. I dont know if thats necessary or not, ie the list reflects the actual mod files in a folder or if just the archived list?

Vortex uses a backup folder, where copies of all of your mods are stored. Probably you didn't delete that folder, so Vortex still "knows" your mods. That's nothing to worry about though. Vortex only installs mods you "enabled" in the "mods" tab. During the "deployment" process, these mods are copied into your Skyrim SE folders. Other mods, that were uninstalled or deleted, are removed. Vortex does that reliably and safe.

So, no need to uninstall or delete Vortex, if you want to start modding from scratch.