File "" Not found and CTD on fresh installs

Ashlander80

Im completely stumped here. Just got a new laptop with Windows, installed Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon, and the Morrowind Overhaul. Had no problems except for some issue with saving over games in the usual directory, but saving and overwriting saves into a virtual directory in My Documents was fine. It would not however, overwrite the autosave save file in the Morrowind directory, which prevented my from leveling up because i would get an error after resting. I thought a simple reinstall might fix the problem.

Now when i install Morrowind, with or without expansions doesnt matter, I get an error "File "" cannot be found" when its loading to the main menu. When starting a new game it'll sometimes CTD, sometimes run normally, i've reinstalled it about 10 times now and its varied whether it crashed or not each time. Installing or running as administrator has no effect. I cleaned out the registry for anything relating to Morrowind or its expansions, and still no change.

Also, occasionally nothing will happen the first time running the launcher after an install, which brings up an error when uninstalling because there is a second process going in the background that I have to end manually. And the last couple times i've done an uninstall, everything in the Morrowind folder has been able to be deleted, but it wont let me delete the morrowind folder itself, because it apparently being used, even though there are no processes or programs running that would be using it. Not sure if this issue is related or not.

Im at my wits end. what the f*** is going on?

Edited by Ashlander80

• 5 years later...

Found a solution, I had the same problem when I installed the game via steam, fresh install.

You have to re-verify the files and it will grab 2 extra files, this will fix the bug.

To re-verify files:

1. Right click morrowind in your steam games list
  2. Clicks properties
  3. Go to the "Local Files" tab
  4. Click "Verify integrity of game files"

This should fix the bug