Setting up player for jslot override?

anjenthedog

Is there a preferred bodyslide or settings (original height) or race, etc when applying a New Racemenu preset to alter one's appearance?

I know that presets often come with a list of used mods(makeup, har, tats, etc) but I mean the more fundamental values... race, weight, height, etc.

Like is it better to use an elven starting point when applying an elven racemenu preset, and a breton, for a breton racemnu preset, etc?

My character is a nord, and when I apply recemenu presets, they sometimes don't come out quite like they're meant to, or after fast-travel and cell transitions like doors, when the player is re-rendered, various scales are f-ed up.

But its also quite heavily modified already in Racemenu. So I'm not sure if that plays any part.

Am I just making a rookie mistake by leaving my race to its default? (or otherwise not using the "best" body for racemenu presets...)

You always need to select the race a preset was made for before applying the preset. The reason is that different races have different head geometries. A Breton head for example is very different from an Altmer one.

There are also other things to consider: If a preset was made for High Poly Head, you also need to have High Poly Head installed. To get exactly the same look as "advertised", you might also need to download other mods. Check the "requirements" section on the preset's mod page. Usually the list is quite long...

TBH, I don't know much about the body settings of Racemenu presets. I never used them much. I'd assume, that you need to have at least the correct body type (e.g. CBBE or BHUNP). I always use bodyslide for the body, since otherwise body and clothes might differ...

A Breton head for example is very different from an Altmer one.

TBH, not sure why, but I didn't really consider the very obvious difference in head models.

High poly is one I'm aware of.

As far as Racemenu alterations, the player I was/am working on has extensive adjustments, including changes to her skeleton via the Scales submenu. I think that might also mess with applied Racemenu Presets.

Also, afaik at least one adaptation via applying a Breton preset with ECE origins a while back (which I then heavily modified some more via Racemenu)

And then finally, the source of, or driver for asking this question, applying a third character geometry (using CCA) that resulted in a weird amalgam of the character I was copying and my own Racemenu adjustments that I "fixed" at least to some degree with various muttering curses and incantations from the real world, swapping out the meshes and editing the source to point to a "human" skeleton (source uses an astronach skeleton by default, for some reason...on a "Breton", go figure), plus more Racemenu fiddling.

Anyway, thanks for confirming I need to pay more attention. Changing my player race to Breton helped. It didn't completely "solve it" by itself, but it definitely helped. (and to be clear, it's not "solved", but it's handled "enough" that I'm satisfied with the results for this one)