Need scripting advice

MorielAtta

This may not be the best forum for this question, but I don't see one that is obviously about making mods. Admins: feel free to move this post if there is a better place for it.

Is there a way to use a script or other in game mechanism to change the name of an item? Not the object ID of course, just the display name. In particular I want to be able to let the player enter a new name and have that show in the pop-up box when the item (a creature in this case) is focussed under the crosshairs.

I've been looking through the construction set and other sources (Morrowind Scripting for Dummies, Morrowind Mod Maker Manual, and Morrowind Script Library) but I haven't seen anything and I suspect that what I want to do is just impossible. Is that the case, or is there a way to change names in game?

Might not be the best way to do it, but if everything else fails you can always make a copy of the item (a new item of exact same properties) and give it a different name. Then use the script to replace the old item with the new (as in disable the old, enable the new if it is in the world somewhere or remove the old, give the new if it is in your inventory).

Edited by kkk122