Reilly's Rangers - Who is their employer?

7thsealord

Was thinking about this recently. May have come up in discussion before, but I don't know that.

Reilly's Rangers has this high-paying contract from an unnamed client, to map out the Wastes. So, who is the secret paymaster?

Doubt it's the BOS - not really their style, I think. Unless a map to ALL of DC's high-tech goodies is the end result, I doubt that the Outcasts would lower themselves to dealing with Wasters for so long. Talon Company is openly hostile to RR, so probably wouldn't be handing them any jobs. Slavers might like to know where their best centres of supply and demand might be, but would probably handle the job themselves, their own way. Raiders just wouldn't bother. An underling of Tenpenny's MIGHT organize something like this, in anticipation of possible future orders from their boss. Could be a total unknown with an agenda of their own, sure, but what?

It is possible that RR themselves don't know for certain - the Mystery Paymaster could be using go-betweens and cut-outs to deal with them. OR RR could be sworn to secrecy as part of the contract - they blab, no pay. Entirely plausible for a mercenary group, however principled they are.

My own thought is that maybe the paymaster is someone in the Enclave's intelligence-gathering section (surely it exists, even if badly-run and under-resourced). The aim being to secretly update and improve the Enclave's data for the DC area before their Big Push starts. I've got no proof of this particular theory, unless there is some major detail I've missed someplace.

Other thoughts?

Edited by 7thsealord

I admit, I have often wondered about this myself over the years. I have tended to default to thinking it was related to Tenpenny some how, which I think quite a few of us might also think. The Idea of someone in the Enclave having contracted RR to do the mapping also makes sense to me. Although they may have the "man power" to accomplish this task themselves, it would be in the Enclave's interest to have someone else do the work, so as not to arouse suspition amongst the Wastelanders or the Brotherhood.

Another posibility I recently came up with could be James himself. Once he left Vault 101 and began his quest to resurect the Purifier, he may have had the Rangers begin the mapping with the intention of locating resources for the Purifier, and/or locations that Dr. Braun could be found. I realize I am reaching with this one, but if James had a few hidden stashes of caps, I think it is something he may have concidered doing.

I hadn't considered James as a possibility - that's a good one. Like you, the biggest problem I see there is him having enough cash to pay RR.

If so, he presumably kept instructions to RR very general ("Go out and map the Wastes", as distinct from "Find all the things on this detailed list."), so as to help maintain secrecy.

Also presumably, payments are handled via go-betweens and maybe some kind of escrow thingummy, given that the contract remains in effect even when James is MIA or, later on, dead.

Edited by 7thsealord

Being that we never find out who was responsible for the Rangers getting this contract, I have to wonder if the devs actually had an answer to this question and never bothered to include it for what ever reason, or if they intended it to be the big mystery that it is. *shrugs*

mason as in (stone mason), who is a stone mason in fallout 3? who joined the Military of the NCR....was an escaped slave then migrated to DC and ended up with Hannibal?.

the story as it reads points to only one character. To look in to the story makers mind, the authors all combined, you can only imagine where things may have been going.

The time line, as it's written out there, tells a story, some of the links Tie in, some don't. But, two games were made based on this time line.

yes, fallout3 was release before New Vegas. But as the story reads, New Vegas, southern cal Doctrines were in full force as the story shows before the release of these two games.

I can only imagine how, fallout 4 will fit in? ON the Back of a $1.00 bill....you will see an Emblem on the left side in a circle, its is of a pyramid, above it, at the Top is an EYE. that EYE can Represent (Illuminati) the story between the two factions a motion picture and a book have been written about. a power struggle...to control.

fallout's stories reaks of this struggle, this power struggle. (Illuminati) two factions stone masons and ..(..........) ?

I think it's Celeb Smith.

For the fallout series of games, and the Origins of the stories so made, I am not allowed here to post the tied in links to further explain why and how things are. But, Where is the main publisher of fallout 3 located? England.....? OR Scotland? How about (London).

Build a mod based on the time lines and don't very off course. Builders are Stonemasons. Celeb was a slave and was being controlled. boy, I could really go on and on about this. Apologies. I 'm done.

Edited by Purr4me