Survival type mod...

ManOfGah

First of all, let me say that this is an idea I am thinking about doing, I want to know peoples thoughts on it, problems with it, how much fun they think it would be (I'm actually not even sure it would be at all fun...) That being said, here it is:

You load the mod, and when fallout 3 starts up, you press new game. Instead of the usual beginning, with dad above you, you start with a boring menu, listing multiple factions (raider, BoS, etc.). More on that part later. you pick one, go through the usual character customization, and then you start in a place (depending on what faction you chose). You will also be given a simple quest: go to X place. However, being a survival mod, it is of course going to be much harder then that. You're going to have to worry about getting enough food, keeping your rads down, and drinking water. All must be done like a normal human must. Instead of point A to Point B, suddenly you will have to map out the best path, one that will get you to your location fast, but also will also visit enough areas so you can keep stocked up on food and supplies. When encountering an enemy, you will have to decide whether or not to fight him, whether you can actually take him on with your knife, and manage to get his nice ammo, without tiring your self out so much that suddenly, you have to have another meal. Also, if karma dictates something important, when you find a merchant, do you kill him for his supplies and deal with the karma loss, or just buy from him? do you raid the town? do do you give the starving guy some of your supplies? so thats the basic idea. At the end, perhaps receive a rank, or some sort of points, after all it would kinda be a more arcade-y type thing, the points could be decided through what you've done, and perhaps heavily affected by the karma choices you make (the journey shouldn't be to hard if you loot every single wandering wastelander you meet). The faction you chose at the beginning will dictate your equipment and skills and such, so if you start off as say a raider, you could have okay skills and perhaps when you take a karma hit, it effects you less, but also have to deal with all of the natural hostilities people have against raiders. If you start off as a BoS member, you will have all the equipment you could ever need, but you would take massive karma hits for doing bad things, and little reward doing the right thing. Perhaps you could be a merchant, using your barter skills to trade those random things you will never need for some cash, and ultimately supplies. Overall however, the game would be the same, nothing changed other then maybe the frequency at which certain items and encounters appear, and the whole hunger thing.

So thats it. I got just randomly got this idea, and the more I thought of it, the less enthusiastic about it I became. I started to wonder whether it would really be as interesting as I think it could be, hence I'm asking some hopefully unbiased sources what they think about the idea.

Archived