Return to Shady Sands

BadPenney

Finished a play test on the new LT with transferred files and it looks good. There were still some small bugginess, but no more than I see on unmodded Fallout 3, and so nothing that persisted past a reload. There was one CTD and a couple of incidents where a town guard was carrying his weapon in a weird way.

Kept in mind the thought about NPCs going idle as the player gains distance from them, then becoming active again as he gets closer. I had placed a fast travel map marker right in the center of town, and I wondered if the sudden appearance of a player character in the midst of idle NPCs might actually cause some of the failures that I was witnessing. So I did not fast travel to the town map marker during any of this last play test, and the NPCs seemed much more fluid in their routines, no stalled NPCs. The few times where an NPC was not where I expected him to be at a certain time were very minor and recoverable, such that it might not even be noticeable to a player who was not already aware of their package schedules.

I could not figure out a way to have a map marker have visible date and not have fast travel enabled, so I just moved the map marker out the front gate and down the road a bit. If it gives the NPCs time to get up to speed and keeps the routines running more smoothly then I think it's not too much of an inconvenience. Maybe it is my imagination, but I 'd be rather overly cautious. I'm keeping the other scripted failsafes in place as well.

So this Saturday, August 1 is looking like a good target for release.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just noticed it was up on Nexus and got my copy, woohoo!

I can't begin to thank you enough for all your hard work BadPenney; this mod has shown to have lots of focus, direction and consideration. I am amazed that you have accomplished so much virtually by yourself. Congratulations on your release and I truly hope that you can enjoy playing your own mod as much as we will.

I'm definately giving you a kudos for such outstandig work. If I find any bugs or detect conflicts with anything I'll drop you a line if only so you can put it in your readme.

I look forward to seeing this mod in action! :thumbsup:

I just found this on Nexus' latest releases, and it sounds amazing! I watched all the videos.

I've read through the 11 pages of the WIP thread, and if I missed this info, I do apologize.

Does Return to Shady Sands require any DLCs, or anything other than Fallout 3? I'm patiently/impatiently waiting for it to download now.

Hey the forums are back! Yayy! Thanks Admin!

I'm glad to have gotten RTSS uploaded finally and see that some of you are enjoying it.

The only requirements for running it are the ones mentioned on the mod page: Fallout 3 and ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated! FOMM will make it easier to install and much easier to uninstall, but is not required. No DLCs are needed and FOSE is not required.

I have received only one pm so far wherein a player did not get the front gate greeting from Lars at the beginning of the mod. That has been a reliable dialogue trigger for me, so I hope that it is not a common problem. I would like to get bug reports to see if the same one is recorded by multiple people. Those are the ones that I am most likely to be able to address.

I did not disable the Recommendations or Comments for the mod, I think that was a side effect of the Nexus server problems. Until there is a need to update the .esp, I will probably leave it as it is.

Thanks to you all again for your advice and encouragement. Now maybe I will have time to play some mods made by other folks for a change.

Cheers.

the thing about modding is picking a good location. & as the whole wastland has certin sections for random creature spawns i think i notices a problem.

i never got a shady sands mapmarker & on the quests there were no markers so i spent ages looking for he doctor. went north & ended up out of the map haha.

back to creatures.

i was talking to some japan guy & then a yuigai jumps out & eats the f"ckr & the rest of the town lol.

i had a couple of good looking locations picked but thare unusable i think as i dont want allsorts of poo spawning in my town.

i think theres an option thought to deselect worldspace encounter or something.

anyway i liked it. good job.

A scavenger spawned in the middle of the town and went to war with the citizens.

When I killed the radscorpion queen the quest did not advance. I used console to complete the objective and start the next one.

In the Cave of Death the Super Mutant did not have the required items on him. Again, I used console to give myself the missing items.

Those are the only issues I've had so far. The last one may be something to do with mods I'm running, the middle one, I don't think so.

Also, after completing those quests, there's nothing really going on. The readme said it takes time for some things to happen, so I can wait.

Overall great work.

Thanks