Return to Shady Sands

BadPenney

hello

i downloaded the mod and played it and i have a problem

i started the quest with the deathclaw and the caravan, but when i enter the cave and try to loot the super mutant

there is no notable loot to advance the quest. Maybe it's because i use FOOK and MMM?

can you give me a solution or mb or console command to add the item, or advancing this part of the quest?

:thanks:

btw. great mod

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My data usage has not refreshed yet, but I will spend a few bad pennies to advance a notion that just occurred to me. One that I wish I had thought of before beginning this mod.

Whenever you create something and place it in the FO3 world, the GECK assigns it an 8 digit hexidecimal code. Early on I found that referring to this code in scripts was much more reliable than using a reference name that I created, which ultimately would refer to the same hex number anyway. As you create more units, the reference number is advanced to signify a unique reference.

It occurs to me now that the GECK is set up to begin that sequence at a set number above the ones already assigned to units created by Bethesda. But since the GECK has no way to crosstalk with users creating mods independently from each other then EVERYONE STARTS WITH THE SAME HEX REFERENCE NUMBERS. That means that people who are running existing mods created before RTSS that are higher in priority in their load order will have conflicts while playing it. If FOOk or MMM tells a certain hex reference to be disabled and it happens to be the same one that Summer shares then she will never tend bar.

There may have been a tutorial or thread that I missed that would have made this more clear to me, and in hindsight it is appallingly obvious, but it simply did not occur to me when I began working on this mod. If I were to start again knowing this I suppose that the first thing that I would do would be to create a dummy cell and generate a few hundred thousand items in it just so that I could jack up the reference numbers, then delete the cell and everything in it. That way reference numbers in my mod would not be getting calls from multiple mods that were running at the same time as mine. At this point though, I would have to regenerate everything that I have made in the last several months to achieve that.

So unless someone can tell me that I am wrong about this idea, or recommend a simpler way to resolve it than reassembling my mod, I can only suggest to people who experience bad glitches that they either disable other mods while playing RTSS or place it higher in priority than other mods. The latter would likely mess up the other mods.

Sorry for my shortsightedness in this matter.

Is the bartender summer reference different than the one in her bus? Because she's in there.

I'm not an expert by far, but couldn't you just replace all of your IDs in your scripts with their ref names? If an object doesn't have one, you can just give it one. Or did I miss an important part of the issue there? It couldn't take that long, could it? :)

I really do like the effort put into this mod.

I completed the first quest and then my training. I do not know what the trigger is for the next quest (nor do I know what it is, but I have tried all your tricks and I have not been given a new quest.

Can you help?

(i used NO other mods other than the official DLCs, patch 1.6 and the Type V female body replacer(no male body replacers) when i test out this mod, )

Ok, I've just completed most of the town quest. I manage to converse Summer the second time by waiting outside her bus home in which she does some naughty bits with my pc. Also manage to initiate the ending movie by waiting a few days after the final rescue Tandi quest.

Here's a list of bugs(some mentioned before and some not):

- two flesh tone for both male and female NPCs: normal heads with raider body or pale skin with different skin tone(Summer is the only one that seems okay though) :mellow:

- if you killed the Radscorpion Queen before finding Razlo's body, the quest will be broken and you can't continue.

- Master Huo refuses to train even when you ask him in the morning like he ask you to(though manage to initiate the training by accident after more than 3 days) :wallbash:

- If you enter Khan's private quarter by pickpocketing the raider who holds the key, your character will freeze forever(Khan never appeared) unless you bribe the raider twice and let him unlock the door. :blink:

- Summer never went to the bar. She just stands outside her bus at night or never appears at all!!!

- After initiating the Yankee Trader quest, the trader never move at all. She just stay there so I'm unable to start the quest(this is the only quest i couldn't play)

- A couple of NPCs spawning outside the town for no reason. :mellow:

- character will sometimes stand in the same spot day and night especially the Huo family(they never sleep!) :confused:

- minor framerate drop at times.

I'm sure there are many more bugs that others are experiencing too but this is my bug list for now, using the most basic Fallout plug-ins.

This already great town mod(actually the best one so far) will be even better if it's a little more polish. Keep up the great work Badpenney. I hope to see more of this type of outstanding mod in the future. :thumbsup:

Well I didn't use any mods at all, only the official DLCs, and got the problems I got so I don't think it has anything to do with load orders, especially since none of the DLCs seem to add anything in this area. Also forgive my ignorance but from what I recalled of using Oblivion's Mod Manager, isn't it the lower on the list the esp is then it overwrites the mods above? Of course if this is flagged as an esm it should be loaded before esps because that might cause problems. But again I had no other mods so that wasn't the issue for me at least.

The main problems seem to be from AI packages not working properlly, missing loot, and spawns outside the city limits. You mentioned something about moving the city marker outside the fence before, could this be the reason for the outside spawns?

As leeonheart said, all this needs is a little polish to certain areas. Hope you can fix these issues soon :thumbsup:

I'm sure there are many more bugs that others are experiencing too but this is my bug list for now, using the most basic Fallout plug-ins.[This already great town mod(actually the best one so far) will be even better if it's a little more polish. Keep up the great work Badpenney. I hope to see more of this type of outstanding mod in the future. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that. I may end up needing experienced help at this point if there are bugs people are finding that I can't squash. I did not want to be one of those guys who shows up on the forums with big plans asking for people to make it happen for me, but nothing concrete to start off with. Now RTSS is at a point where I would feel more comfortable asking for help.

I am uploading a modified version 1.1 as I type here which will hopefully cure some of these issues. I do not see Summer standing outside her bus all day, but I modified the script on her bus door in case it was part of the problem. I also made an adjustment to prevent players from entering her bus without an invitation. I realized that script was a litte sloppy.

The two tone bug was introduced into the game after the official 1.6 patch and is not peculiar to RTSS. I have made the .esp into a mastefile to clear this bug from RTSS and on my computers it works. I do not know why yours still has the two tone.

I had enabled the door into the radscorpion den at the same time as Razslo's body. Now the door will not enable until you get the satchel charge from Killian. That won't happen until after you find Razslo.

Master Huo refusing to train after conditions have been met doesn't happen for me and never has. I cannot address a bug that I cannot reproduce.

The key has been removed from Stewarty, so you can no longer pick it from his pocket. You may still have to bribe him twice, because he is a jerk.

I don't see Summer shirking her job, though I had seen her do that at one time and thought it was resolved. A script on her door may have prevented her from entering, so I changed it. Hopefully that will allow her free access. Why she would never show up to the bar at all I cannot say. She is punctual on my computer. I even started a new character and travelled to Shady Sands to watch the characters and noticed that she was prompt.

Normally the caravan will leave a location within 2 hours of arrival. I did see the situation that you describe one time outside though. I waited repeatedly for one hour each time until they were gone, then reloaded the last autosave.

Can you tell me which NPCs spawned outside and did they stand still or move about? I used to see this problem occasionally and placed scripts on several that would rubberband them back home if they get too far afield. I have no idea what causes this, but I do remember finding Shrapnel wandering around the Wasteland far from Rivet City back when I had no mods at all. I think it may be inherent to the game so I just try to compensate for it.

I'm not seeing idle NPCs with my copy either. For me the Huos keep a regular routine in the garden and at home.

I'm not seeing framerate drops, but I have plenty of video RAM so that might be cushioning the blow a bit. I have some continously running scripts that might contribute to this and quite a number of non-vanilla textures that take up a lot of memory. I thought that my sound files would be the largest memory block, but found out that textures were larger in the end.

I wonder if the savegames that you used were completely clean or whether they might have any residuals left over from mods that you had running but turned off before starting RTSS?

BTW, I had to delete the old RTSS file page in order to re-enable comments on it, as per Buddah's instructions. Uploading version 1.1 seemed like a good time for that. I've also created an HTML walkthrough that is included with the big zipfile. If possible, I would like to upload the walkthrough and the revised .esp as separate additional files. They are the only files that are different from the initial upload and would be much quicker to download them apart from the same nif, lip, ogg, and dds files.

Well I didn't use any mods at all, only the official DLCs, and got the problems I got so I don't think it has anything to do with load orders, especially since none of the DLCs seem to add anything in this area. Also forgive my ignorance but from what I recalled of using Oblivion's Mod Manager, isn't it the lower on the list the esp is then it overwrites the mods above? Of course if this is flagged as an esm it should be loaded before esps because that might cause problems. But again I had no other mods so that wasn't the issue for me at least.

The main problems seem to be from AI packages not working properlly, missing loot, and spawns outside the city limits. You mentioned something about moving the city marker outside the fence before, could this be the reason for the outside spawns?

As leeonheart said, all this needs is a little polish to certain areas. Hope you can fix these issues soon :thumbsup:

I saw your earlier post and that you had applied the 1.7 patch. Checking with the thread about that patch on the Bethesda Forums made me decide to stick with 1.6. The new 1.7 patch sounds like a real can of worms from what I read. I don't know if that has anything to do with problems that you are experiencing.

I don't think that moving the teleport marker outside the city would cause spawns outside, since no NPCs are linked to it. I have seem that sort of thing though, and have scripted most NPCs that travel outdoors to teleport back to certain places with the own if they get to far away. It doesn't seem to affect NPCs that always stay indoors.

The supermutant scout in the cave of death should have a holotape recording that advances the questline. He should also have a set of night vision goggles plus weapon and ammo. In my game he always does. Unsure about the descrepancies at this point.

Hey BadPenney,

As far as I understand it patch 1.7 doesn't introduce any new bugs into the game. 1.7 simply adds the achievements for Mothership Zeta and fixes the crash on exit when you have Broken Steel.

The two npcs I saw outside were Mama Thorton and Jay Hawkins. They did not spawn out there the first time I reached Shady Sands but when I reloaded the game nearby the town after my freeze they were standing nearby the area where the teleport marker is but off the road to the side next to the big pillar from the overhead monorail.

A few minutes after noticing them Mama Thorton turned around and reentered the town through the front gates. As soon as I approached the gates I noticed my crosshairs were blue (As in I was allowed into the town) instead of red, which it should be since I hadn't talked to Lars and had no permission to enter the town. Lars wasn't there, he was sitting in a small chair off to the side and walking around a small patrol route.

My theory is since Mama Thorton spawned outside when she reentered the town through the gate somehow she broke the conversation with Lars. I could never actually get that conversation after that when I reloaded since I was near the town with the save. I think I am going to try a cell reload and see if they spawn inside the town and I can get Lars' initial conversation to happen so I have permission to enter the town and not have them always go hostile on me.

As far as Jay Hawkins, he never moved from the outside spot where he was spawned. It was like his AI packege never started or stopped flat after he spawned outside of town.

Btw I never started any quests at all since I could never enter town without them going hostile. When I sneaked in to talk to Lars, trying to force the first conversation where he gives me permission to enter town, it still didn't appear. But I noticed I had a topic which mentioned Razlo dead by radscorpions but since I hadn't been on that quest, never entered the radscorpion cave or saw/knew who Razlo was at that point I thought I should let you know.

I got 1.1 and will test it out in a clean saver and see if any of the problems persist. Nonetheless I suggest you look at Mama Thorton and Jay Hawkins because those are the two npcs I saw outside and may need some kind of fix.

I'll give you additional reports as I test 1.1.