Return to Shady Sands

BadPenney

After some feedback from people on the comments thread for RTSS, I have to say that I believe that the only way to get Return to Shady Sands to work for you properly at the present moment is to put it in the load order directly after FALLOUT.ESM.

Early on when I was having difficulty making scripts work, I ran across a post about using the hexidecimal reference number of objects in scripts instead of reference names. I tried it. It seemed to work well, so I used that method. Instead of writing LarsGilgenREF.evp, I would write "01010CCF".evp.

This ends up being a bad idea when stacking mods because the first 2 digits refers to the load order. If RTSS is #7 in line, then Lars' reference number would become "07010CCF" and all of my scripts are now diddling with whatever mod is in slot one.

So my next step is to undo my Great Notion and replace the hex references with reference names. This might take a little while. In the meantime, try placing it in first in the load order if you want to play it, or wait until version 1.2 comes out with revised scripts.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. :wallbash:

This is how it should look.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nvm that somehow I missed the walkthrough link, but umm where exactly is the Khan clubhouse?

It's just down the road from Shady Sands at the Montgomery County Reservoir. Look for a door with a huge KHANS graffiti next to it. The door is locked and the intercom only plays static until the right quest stage puts a raider on the other end of the line.

After some feedback from people on the comments thread for RTSS, I have to say that I believe that the only way to get Return to Shady Sands to work for you properly at the present moment is to put it in the load order directly after FALLOUT.ESM.

Early on when I was having difficulty making scripts work, I ran across a post about using the hexidecimal reference number of objects in scripts instead of reference names. I tried it. It seemed to work well, so I used that method. Instead of writing LarsGilgenREF.evp, I would write "01010CCF".evp.

This ends up being a bad idea when stacking mods because the first 2 digits refers to the load order. If RTSS is #7 in line, then Lars' reference number would become "07010CCF" and all of my scripts are now diddling with whatever mod is in slot one.

So my next step is to undo my Great Notion and replace the hex references with reference names. This might take a little while. In the meantime, try placing it in first in the load order if you want to play it, or wait until version 1.2 comes out with revised scripts.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. :wallbash:

This is how it should look.

I just finished playing through this mod a couple of days ago, and enjoyed it immensely. By comparison,

most of the vanilla cities are flat and uninteresting. This mod will stay on my system for as long as I'm

playing Fallout.

Some key strengths:

1. You have to search for stuff yourself without quest arrows to lead you by the nose.

2. The characters have interaction and connection with each other that goes beyond

just occupying the same physical play ground.

3. The town seems like a real community.

4. It's great to see the assets from the former Fallout games be put to use. The dialogue

is crisp and clear.

5. Some of the little side quests were hilarious. (Like the kung fu teacher)

6. Didn't encounter any bugs.

10 out of 10.

Thank you for that post. It lifts my spirits. Thank God someone didn't experience any bugs!

BTW, uploaded version 1.2 today of the plugin today hoping to resolve some of the bugs that others have experienced. Have only added an updated .esm and walkthrough though. The system has twice rejected attempts to upload a new main file fomod with plugin, meshes, textures, sounds and video files. None of the support files have changed.

well I got into the cave of death, but unfortunately I couldn't get the IR goggles or the Holotape, there was only one Super mutant that had any loot and it was a Super Mutant Brute with a Perforator Minigun (compliments of FOOK), I checked my Apparel for Night Vision Goggles and my Notes for anything new but no luck. RTSS may not be FOOK compatible (I noticed it isn't Sharing and Caring companion mod compatible either, had to disable that mod to avoid frustration)

also, any particular reason why you decided to name him Lars instead of Aradesh? was it just for the Star Wars reference?

OMG the last video is so good!

finally a mod with actually talking NPCs! about time

Tandi sounded very well, I loved her dialogue!

Also, Aaliyah Youngblood with an Obama poster - very nice touch

Max is the most awesome NPC I've ever seen but the voice is a bit too Australianish. I know in his first Mad Max he had a bit of an accent, but this one sounds a bit exaggerated (no offense)

I love your work, tho I can't tell what the Reel did to you :P

keep it up, don't be quitters!

well I got into the cave of death, but unfortunately I couldn't get the IR goggles or the Holotape, there was only one Super mutant that had any loot and it was a Super Mutant Brute with a Perforator Minigun (compliments of FOOK), I checked my Apparel for Night Vision Goggles and my Notes for anything new but no luck. RTSS may not be FOOK compatible (I noticed it isn't Sharing and Caring companion mod compatible either, had to disable that mod to avoid frustration)

also, any particular reason why you decided to name him Lars instead of Aradesh? was it just for the Star Wars reference?

Is there a Lars in Star Wars? I named him Lars because the guard at the front gate of Junktown in Fallout 1 is named Lars. Seth was the gate guard at Shady Sands and he is a bot. Killian was the mayor of Junktown and Aradesh was the mayor of Shady Sands, but there can be only one. I think that Killian could take Aradesh.

I think that the problem that people are having with the holotape is because I didn't save the Supermutant that is carrying the holotape and NV goggles as a unique type, but mistakenly replaced the vanilla Supermutant brute with him ( likely a result of working on my mod when I should have been sleeping ). His inventory could then be easily overwritten by a mod like FOOK, which probably gave you the minigun instead of the holotape quest item.

I've fixed that issue along with many others in the update that I'm working on. Only problem now is the AI Package stalls in Shady Sands that have seemed to have gotten worse in the update. The only lead that I have gotten on that problem is flaky NavMeshes. I am trying to revise them but they are kicking my butt. I'm on my 3rd attempt. Now Seth keeps moving but Lars and Jesse have decided to guard the town from outside the walls.

If I do another mod I think that I will avoid modifying Wasteland exterior cells.