Return to Shady Sands

BadPenney

1.7 will probably be released a few days before or the day that Mothership Zeta is released, it isn't out yet.

You should try to make a clean save; I remember in the old days of Oblivion there would be problems when I updated a currently running mod, sometimes breaking the mod (Though I can't exactly recall my save getting corrupted but could have happened also). So I would have to unclick the older mod, save without the mod and then click the updated mod to have it work.

You might also benefit by recruiting a beta tester or two, particularly people who might have different setups such as fakepatch, pre-1.5 games (1.1-1.4), and current 1.6 installed with no fakepatch.

There may be a conflict if you are using FO3Edit to make it a master and fakepatch at the same time as FO3Edit was developed as an alternative to not use fakepatch. If you use FO3Edit, fakepatch is completely unecessary as fakepatch tries to use the same 1.4 exe adding the new scripts, etc that were implemented in 1.5; but some of the changes cannot be carried over such as the purified water of Broken Steel and the Tesla Cannon (They are simulated by other means), I'm also unsure but I don;t think all the fixes to the AI were implemented successfully by fakepatch. Fakepatch also had some other bugs which weren't really fixed because once FO3Edit was released with the Masterupdate mode, it fixed all the problems and did what fakepatch did with all the things fakepatch couldn't implement. Then once 1.6 came out, FO3Edit was no longer really necessary as it fixed most things, except maybe the skin problem (Some people say it's fixed, others no). I could definately be wrong with some of this info as I know nothing about this.

I've never used fakepatch and I never got to use FO3Edit, so I updated directly to 1.6 when I got Point Lookout. You should take everything I've said with a grain of salt as all the info I provided is from what I saw in the forums so it could be incomplete or flat out mistaken. :ermm:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used FO3Edit to make a masterfile just as an experiment, then reverted to using an .esp so that I could continue to edit with the GECK. So there should be no conflict between FO3Edit and the FakePatch at this point. I was only prepared to use the masterfile method to get rid of the skintone problem. Maybe I should wait until patch 1.7 is available before releasing RTSS, since Mothership Zeta is supposed to be released about the same time as I had anticipated uploading anyway. Maybe 1.7 will fix the flesh issue, making the masterfile thing unnecessary. Interest in mods may flag about the time a new DLC is released, as well.

Others are recommending the Unofficial Patch, so I will experiment with that.

You may be right about the clean save. I'll need to start all the quests over again (sigh).

I might be interested in using Beta testers if anyone would volunteer. Not sure how to get all the files needed to anyone without using the Nexus datafile system, unless there is a betatest section that has download access restricted to certain testers.

You mean you used FO3 Plugin Utility to make a master, right? How do you do it with FO3edit? I didn't know you could.

Make a copy of FO3Edit.exe and rename the copy as FO3masterUpdate.exe. Run FO3masterUpdate. There a more detailed instructions available, but it is very simple really.

That turns all of your enabled plugins into masters.

FO3 Plugin Util has a 'toggle master' option that lets you do it for a single file.

Since I only have 2 .esp files in my data directory, enabling only the one that I wanted to turn into a masterfile was not a problem. If I recall correctly, the FO3Edit method has some advantages. At least I remember TGBlank recommending it, so I took that option.

BTW, while play testing my mod again today I saw Enclave Soldiers show up near the front gate of Shady Sands for the first time. It was the first totally random real test of the town defenses that I have seen. The gate turrets and guard wasted them, but poor Lars was close to death when it was over. If he dies then 2 of the main quests cannot be completed. I guess I should give him an after combat health regen protocol like companions have.

It gave me a perverse sort of pleasure knowing that a player could possibly fail a quest through no fault of their own, though. I like the arbitrary nature of it; sort of like real life. But then, that is why you have savegemes, unlike real life.

The unofficial patch deals with a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with the problems you are having, in fact the unofficial patch hasn't been updated since patch 1.2-1.3 was released. Quarn is currently working on an update which fixes a bunch of new stuff all the way to Point Lookout; however Quarn has expressed the desire to release his next update once Mothership Zeta is released so he can have the latest patch to work from. Given that he hasn't updated yet, I'm guessing he's waiting for 1.7.

I do not recommend you make the file dependent of the unofficial patch however as many people don't use it.

As for beta testers, you could upload to rapidshare or some domain like that. You can then accept a couple of beta testers via PM and send them the link in a PM. Once you get confirmation they have the file, you can then take it down. You can also upload the file to Nexus in an agreed time with your testers, let them download it from there and then block it so that no one else can get it.

I haven't a clue what 1.7 will have, I hope it fixes the skin issue. However some patches only add the new achivements for the new DLC, but we should wait for the patch notes to see what it does.

I'm sure you can get plenty of beta testers, just announce it here and pick and choose. However if you do decide to wait until 1.7 then don't begin beta tests until then. If not, then you can send for testers now. If you can't find any testers send me a PM and I'll help beta test for you.

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when I make it available for testing. If anyone else that is following this thread would like to help test it, please send me a pm. I could especially use input from folks with good knowledge of scripts and AI packages.

Right now I'm testing it again without unofficial patches; just the official 1.6, updated GECK and unmastered .esp. Watching closely for errors that might trigger failures. Sometimes it seems that NPCs lose sight of their AI packages but then recover, other times it seems that one NPC stalls on its package and either causes a cascade failure or is a symptom of the beginning of one. I've included some evaluate package commands in scripts to help jumpstart NPCs that get confused. Hope I haven't overdone it with that. I'm a little unclear about the difference between evp and resetai. Resetai seems more drastic, so I haven't made much use of it.

Currently on this test, things are looking good. If I can make it to the end without anything serious happening, then it would seem ready for testing. Don't see much point in an upload for testing if the mod is obvious glitched, unless the testers are really good mod doctors who might see something I have missed. Even to my eyes my processes can seem convoluted, involving an interplay between scripts, packages and result scipts of dialogue to keep the thing moving along. It would probably be a challenge for anyone not as familiar with its build as I am to see the flow and spot the interruptions. Hopefully I already have them sorted out.

Finally got to the bottom of the NPC dialogue glitch. :D

It was self-inflicted. In trying to exclude one NPC from shared dialogue by setting a quest variable after a certain incident, I ended up restricting nearly all of the NPCs from the shared Greetings. Removed that restrictive condition from the Greetings and everybody can access the custom dialogue again. Quite a relief. That was one of my major roadblocks to uploading.