modding virgin needs DESPERATE help

SaadUsmani11

Can someone PLEASE help me out with this cyclic ruling, been trying to fix it and when it seemingly feels fine (just random rule changing so it would work) and game works properly, it crashes everytime I fast-travel or enter/exit an place. pls im dying over here ty. and i hope since these are pretty common mods that someone has a fix for this cus going through the individual mod pages didnt really help me in figuring out which way the cycles should be.

https://imgur.com/cZXe8Dl

Edited by SaadUsmani11

Yeah, cyclic rules can be a bit confusing... Conflicts like these are very common, especially among texture and mesh replacers. What happens here is basically this: Several mods are trying to replace the same objects in game. Obviously, this can't work. A certain lantern or a rope can only have one form (mesh) and one color (texture) at a time. So, you have to resolve these conflicts.

But how? In the end, it's all a matter of personal preference. In cases like yours, where we have to deal with several conflicting mesh and texture replacers, there's technically no "wrong" or "right". YOU have to decide, which mod you want to see in game - and which other mods might get overwritten...

This means, you have to set some priorities for yourself. You case isn't that complicated though:

Blended Roads shoudl have high priority - simply for the sake of consistency. You want your roads to look similar everywhere in the game. The same goes for "Fluffy Snow". You want the same kind of snow everywhere.

The rest is personal preference. I'd suggest the following priorities (descending order - most important mod first):

1. Noble Skyrim

2. Enhanced texture detail

3. SMIM

Indeed, SMIM can be uses as a "fallback" mod. Meanwhile, it's a bit dated. If you have something newer, you should probably use it. On the other hand, it's still good to have - because it's still way better than Vanilla... In doubt, it's the mod, that can be overwritten though.

With these priorities in mind, you can start resolving the "puzzle". The basic principle is simple: The mod the arrow points to gets overwritten. So, that arrow between "Enhanced texture detail" and "Blended Roads" means: "Blended Roads gets overwritten by Enhanced texture details." (BTW, that's something you do NOT want. Definitely a rule to change...)

Now, you can start with the mods you care about most. In your example, this is probably Blended Roads. Make sure, that no arrow points TOWARDS "Blended Roads". You can do that by simply clicking on the arrows and choosing "flip rule". The next one is "Fluffy Snow": Again, try to flip rules in a way, that no arrow points to it. This won't be possible though: You have to decide between "Blended Roads" and "Fluffy Snow". The conflicting files are probably some snowy road textures. This is a clear case of "choose, what you like best". I'd start with "Blended Roads" letting overwrite "Fluffy Snow". Start the game, check, how it looks. If you like it, everything's fine. Else change the rule.

After you've taken care of "Blended Roads" and "Fluffy Snow", deal with the remaining cycles. TBH, it dooesn't matter much what you do here. In doubt, let SMIM be overwritten (arrows pointing TOWARDS SMIM). Basically, simply do what is necessary to make Vortex stop complaining...

I hope, this explanation helps a bit.

Don't worry, we're talking "only" about textures and meshes here. This is only visuals. No decision you make should in any way affect the stability of your game.

This brings me to my last point: I'm pretty sure, that none of these conflicts has anything to do with your crashes. There must be something else going on. Unfortunately troubleshooting crashes is a whole new can of worms...

Basically, all you can do is test: Disable mods in small groups (starting with the mods you added recently) until you find the culprit.

I'd also strongly advice to try nothin really "complicated" for the beginning. Keep it simple...