need help finding a good lighting mod + a possible noobish question

ulvemann43

Hi. this is, if my memory serves me right, my first post here on the forums.

After a few months i wanted to reinstall skyrim and start anew with new mods etc, however, its one thing i never was happy about, and that is when it comes to various visual mods, like ENB and the various lighting mods around.

What i'm looking for, is something that makes the game very vibrant and colorful in the daytime, like most ENB series do, however, i'm also looking for something that makes the nights truly dark, something i've yet to see many visual mods do. So what i want to ask first is if there are any mods that would suit what i'm looking for.

The second thing i wonder about is more related to compability between mods. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27043/?

is something i have tried before on my first attempt at installing lighting mods after the reinstall (i did a lot of noob misstakes so i needed to reinstall the whole game again since i took no backups), but i never went around with it for long since it doesent change the lighting outside much. But i see that it suggests things like RCRN (which i can never get to work properly (i think)) which made me curious to which lighting based mods that are compatible with eachother.

I'm a complete brainless noob at the subject, and the answer is probably very easy to find, but i wished to ask it openly here, since i also wondered about the first question.

Edited by ulvemann43

SweetFX can be an awesome method of lighting, much like ENB but without the glitchiness or being a resource hog. I personally have a SweetFX mod designed to overhaul the outdoor lighting, as well as the night sky you might want to check out! if you don't like the night sky part, I have detialed instructions in the read me how to only install the SweetFX part of the mod! Since my mod focuses on the night sky, it makes nights very dark, something I personally like that most other mods do not seem to have an option for.

I also HIGHLY suggest using the mod you linked to (enhanced lights and FX) along with Climates of Tamriel! I personally dont suggest using RCRN, it's very glitchy and finicky, and in my opinion is rendered basically obsolete by CoT aesthetic wise anyways! CoT even has multiple levels of darkness for the nights, if you select the darkest and use them with a sweetFX or ENB mod that makes the world dark, you can get some insanely dark nights. ^_^

I use those three mods together for lighting in my game, and it's quite gorgeous, and quite dark during the night time as well! ^_^

Edited by ArtMurder

i think some of my mods don't work with CoT, but enhanced lights and FX should work with most lighting mods? i'l give sweet FX a look in a second.

edit: i suppose its best to show what mods i have, il write them up here in a sec, just putting this here so youl know im writing them up.

the unoffical patches

supreme storms

randomthunder

roosteratdawn

mintylightning

improved skill and quest books

mark books as read

skyUI

immersive armors

immersive weapons

the paarthurnax dilemma

rich merchants

skyfalls

sounds of skyrim - the wilds and dungeons

WATER

dragonfire

dragoncombatoverhaul

no spinning death anim

height adjusted races and true giants

realistic ragdolls and force

crimson tide

TTYM

blacksmith forge water fix

skyrim flora overhaul

static mesh improvement

race menu

i also got the files for real clouds but it conflicts with the flora overhaul. but out of these, i don't know if any of them conflict with CoT. most of these i got from skyrim GEMS

edit 2: ive tried around with the game and i cant get lighting mods to work, will make athread about it in the troubleshooting

Edited by ulvemann43

All the mods should be compatible, with patches. I don't know what 'random thunder' is, but I suggest uninstalling if it just adds lighting or thunder sounds, it as it's likely whats making your lighting mod not work right, and between it, supreme storms, and COT, you will have plenty of lighting and thunder without it! CoT needs a patch for both supreme storms and mintyslighting, as well as sounds of skyrim, all of these patches can be found on the page of their respective mod (all the other mods have CoT patches, I don't believe any patches are placed on CoT's page itself) I also use skyrim flora overhaul, it requires no patch for any of these weather mods! ^_^

Also, real clouds is another mod I suggest avoiding, just because it's not quite 'perfected' yet(like RCRN), and skyrims weath system is very finicky(just like it's lighting system), so it's best to stick to the 'mastered' mods. I personally use Enhanced lighting, CoT, supreme storms, and mintyslighting for my weather/lighting set up (plus the sweetfx from my own mod) and it looks pretty amazing, and I experience no bugs!

here's a screenshot.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1555ruu.jpg

Since i have a lot of mods you do, here is my load order if you want to see how to order the weather mods!

Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
SPIKE.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Isharas_HearthfireLogUpdatePatch.esp
Chesko_Frostfall.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
AOS.esp
Thundering Shouts.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
MintyLightningMod_COT_Patch.esp
FantasySoundtrackProject.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
fine goods from morrowind.esp
Economics of Skyrim.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
Dragonborn HD Ultra.esp
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Climates of Tamriel - lvl-2.esp
Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons v2.0 non glow.esp
ShootingStars.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
Dragon Soul Relinquishment.esp
More Alien Skyrim.esp
Footprints.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
SkyUI.esp
iHUD.esp
Cloaks.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
Daedric Dawnbreaker.esp
DragonbornArmorFix.esp
hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
ImmersiveArmorsNPCs.esp
konahrik_accoutrements.esp
konahrik_accoutrements_db.esp
konahrik_accoutrements_dpe.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
SkyRe_Main_Fix.esp
SkyRe_Combat.esp
SkyRe_CraftingFix.esp
SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp
SkyRe_EnemyScaling_Fix.esp
SkyRe_StandingStones.esp
SkyRe_StandingStones_Fix.esp
SkyRe_Survivalism.esp
SkyRe_SIC Crossbowfix.esp
MzarkWonders.esp
BetterRiften.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
Default Teammate Weapon Draw Distance.esp
FireAndIceOverhaul.esp
dD-No Twitching Dragon Death Animation.esp
SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
EBT- Dg - Db - SIC.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
ETaC - Villages Complete.esp
ExpandedWinterholdRuinsExterior.esp
Better Windhelm.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
SoS - The Wilds.esp
SoS - Civilization.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
AOS_CoT 3.1 compatibility patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dungeons-Hardcore.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-VanillaNights-Lvl-2.esp
Supreme Storms - Cot Version.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
NoEyeAdaptation - Climates of Tamriel.esp
SoS - The Dungeons-PatchCoTHardcore.esp
SoS - The Wilds-PatchCoT.esp
SoS - Civilization-PatchCoT.esp
DenserGrass.esp
SkyFalls - Distant Waterfall Overhaul.esp
DVA - Dynamic Vampire Appearance.esp
Better Vampires.esp
Brevi_MoonlightTales.esp
MidasSkyrim.esp
BFSEffects.esp
Enchanting Freedom.esp
The Dance of Death - Dawnguard Edition.esp
Improved Dragon Shouts.esp
Improved Dragon Shouts - Dawnguard.esp
Improved Dragon Shouts - Dragonborn.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp
Beards.esp
Brows.esp
3DNPC.esp
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
RND_Dawnguard-Patch.esp
RND_HearthFires-Patch.esp
RND_Dragonborn-Patch.esp
RND_ETaC-Patch.esp
RND_USKP-Patch.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Gri_BeastFeet.esp
SkyRe_Races.esp
SkyRe_Races_Fix.esp
Spells Cast Light.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Dawnguard.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Dawnguard.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Dragonborn.esp
ReProccer.esp
ReProccerNONPLAYERfix.esp
ReProccerDragonborn.esp
Warburg's 3D Paper World Map - Texture 2.esp
warburg's 3d paper world map - dawnguard.esp
Warburg's 3D Paper World Map - Dragonborn.esp

By the way, in the future, for posting big long lists like your load order, use spoiler tags! ^_^ Like this;

[spoiler][/spoiler]

sure, i'l give it a shot. randomthunder just adds random thunder sounds in the background when its a rainstorm. it works well overall. i'l try tinkering around a bit and trying lighting mods if i can get them to work.

edit: out of curiosity, how excactly can i know which mods work together? of course two ENB mods won't work alongside eachother, not that i can get any to work lately anyways, but from my experience, CoT doesent make the colors at daytime very vibrant (i think i used it once, back on my laptop).

edit: managed to install it all now. used ENBcustomizer to get an ENB preset to nearly pitch black nights. it feels just like a walk through a night time forest in norway now, great

Edited by ulvemann43

I also HIGHLY suggest using the mod you linked to (enhanced lights and FX) along with Climates of Tamriel! I personally dont suggest using RCRN, it's very glitchy and finicky, and in my opinion is rendered basically obsolete by CoT aesthetic wise anyways! CoT even has multiple levels of darkness for the nights, if you select the darkest and use them with a sweetFX or ENB mod that makes the world dark, you can get some insanely dark nights. ^_^

RCRN first release was 2 years ago, and latest is dated just a couple of weeks ago (exposed here), and the mod is rock solid since about an year. I don't know which version did you try out, but the informations you posted are quite inaccurate. Also because it's RCRN which introduced for first the multiple darkness levels for nights & dungeons, and this happened way before CoT first release. I don't even know how can you call it "Obsolete" since it uses the latest postprocessing technologies available and a fresh flat UI.

Not liking a mod is fine, but spreading around wrong stuff is not fine.

Cheers.