Can a bashed patch hurt performance?

kcdrums79

HI all, i made a bashed patch, mainly to see what would happen, since i never did one before. Learning new things one at a time. After doing so, i noticed some strange bugs that werent there before. A few T posed bandits, things like that. Also, i think, a weird thing where whenever id pick up an item like a potion, or even sell an item, the game would kind of stall and hitch for half a second. It seems linked to inventory. The hitching has only gotten worse, to where whenever i unsheath my sword or change my weapon via a hotkey, the game will literally freeze for 3-4 seconds. This was never an issue in the past, my game is pretty heavily modded at this point, some FPS drop for sure, but nothing like this hitching which is just unplayable. The only thing i can think of, is that maybe the bash patch did more harm than good. As of now its disabled, but the hitching is still a massive problem.

Any thoughts??

HI all, i made a bashed patch, mainly to see what would happen, since i never did one before. Learning new things one at a time. After doing so, i noticed some strange bugs that werent there before. A few T posed bandits, things like that. Also, i think, a weird thing where whenever id pick up an item like a potion, or even sell an item, the game would kind of stall and hitch for half a second. It seems linked to inventory. The hitching has only gotten worse, to where whenever i unsheath my sword or change my weapon via a hotkey, the game will literally freeze for 3-4 seconds. This was never an issue in the past, my game is pretty heavily modded at this point, some FPS drop for sure, but nothing like this hitching which is just unplayable. The only thing i can think of, is that maybe the bash patch did more harm than good. As of now its disabled, but the hitching is still a massive problem.

Any thoughts??

The purpose of making a bashed patch is letting wrye bash "bash" together all the mods, as to try and correct any potential errors/ conflicts between all the mods you have installed. Which it does a pretty decent job of. However, the more mods you install, the more conflicts are likely. I don't know if you did this, but after creating a bashed patch, you really should check the patch with xEdit and check if Wrye Bash kept the functions you wanted/ expect.

Go through all the edits in the bashed patch and manually correct things if needed (drag and drop the function you want into the bashed patch). And always place the bashed patch as low as possible, but when using LOOT, it should do this automatically.

Any thoughts??

The purpose of making a bashed patch is letting wrye bash "bash" together all the mods, as to try and correct any potential errors/ conflicts between all the mods you have installed. Which it does a pretty decent job of. However, the more mods you install, the more conflicts are likely. I don't know if you did this, but after creating a bashed patch, you really should check the patch with xEdit and check if Wrye Bash kept the functions you wanted/ expect.

Go through all the edits in the bashed patch and manually correct things if needed (drag and drop the function you want into the bashed patch). And always place the bashed patch as low as possible, but when using LOOT, it should do this automatically.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! TRULY APPRECIATED!! So i know what and why for a bash patch, however, i have ZERO idea how to identify what functions i wanted or expected in xEDIT. I also assuming that means SSEdit. I dont know where to look for that or what im really even looking at in when i open it up. Ive looked all over for a beginning tutorial on using SSEdit to fix errors and things like that but have found only tutorials on cleaning dirty plug ins. Could you point me in the direction of somewhere to learn this skill?? Im happy to do the legwork, but it seems the only way to learn is just to start clicking things i have no idea what they do and thats a frightful; proposition! THANKS AGAIN:)

• 2 weeks later...

The Tome of x-edit should have what you need. X-edit is just a way of referring to the various "edits," as it's all basically the same thing. You will hear them used interchangeably, all the time.

Basically, once you do your bashed patch, you want to open your entire load order with xedit. Start from the bottom, at the bashed patch, expand it and start looking at some of the things it has touched. When you expand and click on an item (for example, let's say you have a mod that adds steel boots to whiterun guards, and another mod that adds different gloves) you should see your master(s), then your mods, and finally the bashed patch IF the mods ended up becoming part of it. Viewed from left to right, the extreme right is the conflict winner. Commonly, xedit will combine those outfits so the whiterun guard spawns with their own boots, the mod-added boots, and the mod-added gloves, and inevitably wear the wrong boots. You would need to remove the unwanted boots from the patch, in order to make them spawn with only what you want. If one of the mods has the full outfit, this can be as easy as clicking on the tab and dragging it over to the bashed patch, so it becomes the winner.

This should be under "conflict resolution," or words to that effect, in the tome. Also, when googling and youtubing, try "conflict resolution," as a part of the search term. I remember using one to learn some of this, though it was years ago. Xedit also has the ability to create a second shortcut and add " -VeryQuickShowConflicts " to the target, so you can run conflict resolution with a separate desktop icon, without having to see non-conflict items.

Hope that helps some. Here is one of the youtube tutorials, though there are several you might find useful, even if they're not specifically for Skyrim SE.

• 2 weeks later...