[POLL] AVP? Is it really a good idea?

thePhilanthropy

AVP - in Oblivion  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see it in Oblivion?

• Hell, yeah!
    • Sounds cool, but I don't 'really' care.
    • It's a bad idea! Tamriel has enough problems already.
    • Forget it! It will never get finished.
    • Hell, NO! The movies were bad already! Don't embarrass yourself!

OK, so I made that Xenomorph (Alien) race and Divine Avenger (plus Co-Authors) the Yautja (Predators) race.

The idea of a AVP mod is not very hard to imagine, thus.

I'm really unsure whether this is a good or a bad idea to attempt to realize. I haven't even contacted Divine Avenger about this yet...

Whatever....

I think the AVP movies got it all wrong. They are good action movies, but fail to deliver the feeling of the originals. Aliens aren't "spooky" anymore and predators were never meant to be body-builders....

And yet...

AVP is an old franchise, but not as old as either ALIEN or Predator, naturally, but older than the movies anyway. Most people have only seen the AVP movies, but the franchise existed way before, in the form of comics by DC and other stuff (There are all kinds of "Alien/Predator VS. ???" things out there. I have even seen "Judge Dredd VS. Predator" and "The Green Lantern VS. ALIEN" comic-covers once.). The idea is classic. In the movie "Predator 2" there even was an Alien skull on the 'tapestry' of the predator spaceship. So, before you dismiss this idea as being cheap, consider the above.

I'm not that eager to see AVP in Oblivion. Both creatures can do without the other and still kick major a$$.

What I'm really unsure about though, are the technical possibilities of the GameBryo (Oblivion) engine. Some things I just can't accomplish, e.g. wall-walking, real acid-blood, brain eating, etc...

But, I'm curious how you feel about all this. Is the idea even worth the trouble?

PS: I hope I got the whole poll thing right. Never done it before...

I don't think it would be possible to get that right; Sure, it would be better than the Movies, place some Xenomorphs in a dungeon with the Dungeon music and they will be more spooky then the Aliens in AvP.

The Oblivion engine, as you well know, has some Limitations that will make it incredibly difficult to really get the proper "feel" over here.

There are some Issues with the practicality; You will have to make Face Huggers. They would have to be able to attach themselves to NPCs who then will be paralyzed for a day or so until their Chest bursts open and you know the rest...

There are some Issues with the practicality; You will have to make Face Huggers. They would have to be able to attach themselves to NPCs who then will be paralyzed for a day or so until their Chest bursts open and you know the rest...
Seems to me that would be a piece of cake.

We've already got an awesome "Find" package for NPCs to track the player down. Given a suitably labyrinthine area and an alert player, that alone makes predators scary and challenging. I kind of hope the project is more simulation than a scripted plot, particularly if you can play as the aliens/predators, but I'm sure it could be made very cool either way.

Chose the Don't Really Care due to the fact that I can't use OBSE and this would need it to have any hope of working. I think the technical limitations of the engine will force you to make too many sacrifices for it to reach its true potential.

• 4 months later...