ESO or any Online Game, how does it work

daventry

01. Im looking at ESO and it looks Amazing, but i Hate Online Gaming and i Seriously Hope this kind of stuff and Animation is in TES6

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/media/videos/567

02. Do we have a Main Forum Section or Thread Section about ESO

03. How does Online Gaming work, must you pay every month for some kind of fee even though you Bought the Game.

04. How long do MMO Games last if a Company doesent support it no more.

05. How do you start or stop playing if the Game goes on and People finish the MQ, yet your just a Noob at the Beginning of everything since its not like your average Single Player Game.

06. Is MMO safe and how does the screen look like, or is there constant text with People typing.

07. How Rude can People get if you can avoid it somehow.

08. What is the general reason on Hating ESO in particular

09. Can you Only play a MMO Game when someone is Online aswell, like i have to wait for just 1 Person to be Online so i can play. How does MMO Games work in terms of Multiplayer Games, because i know in Multiiplayer Games, there has to be a Person so you can play aswell in witch i Hate Multiplayer Games.

Edited by daventry

1. As far as reports go, yes you pay for a subscription every month. Some other MMOs are for free, others are paid upfront only, with you paying for items with real world cash. Kind of like the freemium games on iOS and Android.

2. Well they don't. MMOs need an active server for you to play it. If the server doesn't exist (if the company stops paying for it, or uses it for something else), the MMO launcher will just say "cannot connect to server", and you can't play.

3. Well, it doesn't matter if other people completed the quest or not. Your character won't be affected because the quests remain open. It only closes or is labeled complete for people who have already done it. In some games like WoW, you can do the quest over and over to get better chances of getting valuable loot from the boss monsters. Even if a hundred players has already finished the main quest, if you talk to the quest giver, you'll still receive the quest and be able to do it. For example in WoW, I was doing a quest that was described as to look for a certain artifact to lift the curse from the orc village. Yet a friend of mine had already finished the quest, and there were some other players with me on various stages of the quest.

The main difference in MMO playing is that your companions in your adventures are real people and you can coordinate with them on how to go about certain things. Although like in real life, you may get disagreements and look for other companions. For example, one guy is a support mage, who's skills are based on buffs and healing, so he stays back and heals and gives your character buffs while you attack. Usually a team in MMOs may consist of a tank, a support character, and a damage dealer, in varying numbers of each type.

4. The screen can look like as you want it to look like. In WoW I turned off the global chatterbox for example, and only see messages from GMs and those in my immediate surroundings. Or those who send me a private message. All MMO's I've seen have this controllable. Usually people limit their chat to those within their parties. It helps latency when the game doesn't load too many messages.

5. In my experience in MMOs, people aren't usually rude. The rude gamers often comes from the competition based games like DoTA, LoL, Halo, etc, where you go around killing other people. In fantasy based MMOs, people are more usually nice and approaching, with the lower level players often asking for help and guidance from higher tier players who either do help or snob them. But that's the limit. There are instances of kill stealing though and annoying players but that's like real life I suppose. But mostly it's not very bad since MMOs like ESO and WoW and Guild Wars are more commonly coop games, and not competition games.

As for starting and stopping, well entering the world and leaving it completely won't affect the game very much at all. Entering the world you start an adventure, meet new friends, see people weaker or stronger than you and stuff. If you leave for say, 6 months, you come back and you will see the world moved on. Your old friends who had the same level as you when you left could be maybe 30 levels higher than you now, and so on.

6. What I hate about MMOs is the artificial economy and the fact that it's not very friendly for the casual gamer IMO. The economy is a real economy in a sense that when a player finds a valuable loot, say a rare staff, but can't use it because he's an archer not a mage, he can sell it to another player who is a mage and wants it. However as this is rare, the archer can set the price he wants. At the initial stages of the game, prices can reach in the billions. I remember in Ragnarok during the first year it was available in my country, the slotted guard shield was a very rare item and buying it from a Merchant-class player would cost up to 10 million gold. 5 years later, it costs about 1million because a lot have been found over that time and have saturated the market a bit.

As for the casual gamer reference, well when you play less time than other people, you tend to get left behind and it may cause some annoyance for some. Also it requires a constant internet connection with decent speed to always work properly. So if you're someone who just plays for a past time when bored, and constant reliable connection isn't always available, well, that's too bad. Plus the fact that there is an actual in game economy means your player has to work to get enough cash to acquire good items. Unlike single player games, where certain items are always dropped by certain bosses, powerful items are rare. For example, Miraak if set in an MMO will not always drop his mask. Usually such items have a 1% chance or less of dropping from bosses. So if you want to achieve a certain set of equipment, it's not always viable to hunt for them.

1. Have you ever tried any MMOs? I just wonder since you hate it, but doesn't know about it.

2. I doubt TheNexusForums would get it, seing as ESO got nothing to do with mods. But ESO got a official forum.

3. You pay a small monthly fee. This pays for: Server uptime, patches and anti-hacking softwares. It's worth it.

4. If the company stops they usually die out. By that I mean you might get 1 server online, with minimal people playing. That said, about every MMO made is still active, even though most can be considered "dead".

5. A MMO usually don't build around a "MQ". It builds around end-game content. Which is most likely raids. That means you will never really be affected by others. The only effect if you start late is that you got little people to level up with. And even that is not too bad. Don't worry about that. You make friends quite easily, and will always have help. You join some sort of guilds and have plenty of people there.

6. MMO is safe, of course. The screen consist of many familiar elements: A minimap, toolbars for action skills, toolbars for stuff like inventory and journal, and a chat box. In the chat there will be different kind of chats that you can filter through. Whispers are personal to you, you get a general area chat, for everybody in the zone.

7. People are not really rude. At least not in the start. It's when a MMO goes F2P, and when things get competetive( WoW ) people start getting rude.

But in general people are all right.

8. I see none. Why hate something before we've tried it out? If anything, you can hate MMO and how they work, but not a specific game. If that's the case: You spend a lot of time developing your character. You invest a LOT of time, and might get attached. That leads to the big "addicted to X game" hysteria. Though that is a luxury problem really. You spend as much time as you want to yourself.

9. You can play as much as you want. If you want to do dungeons and/or raids, you must group up with other people.

Chances are there will be thousand of thousand of people online at every single moment. So you are never really alone.

You should google, or watch some WoW on youtube, if you are really afraid of MMOs.

EDIT, to above poster:

You make it sound like a bad thing. The economy is made by the people, and it makes sense. A rare item costs a lot. And chances to drop items will make it feel like you achieve something when you get it. Say there is a 0,3% chance to get a super awesome weapon from Miraak. Wouldn't you feel awesome getting it? Feeling better than the next dude who uses another, lame, sword that got a 25% chance to drop?

And "casual" gamer rant is such a weird thing to bring up. People just recently started using it. Why?

You spend less time, you are behind those who spend more time. ... How is that a bad thing? If you and I got the same job, and I work overtime as much as possible, should we get equal pay? Should we be equal good after a year?

The economy is as friendly to casual as hardcore, and everything in between. If you spend time crafting, and working on your character, you get just as far as you want. It might mean you won't get that sweet staff the first week, while some others will. But you will get it. I hardly see the problem in it.

TL;DR: Casual is a word flinged around too much. Every MMO out there are TOO casual friendly by now, so I don't understand the complaint. It takes no effort in any MMO these days, compared to.. say... Everquest.

Oh, and the economy is player-made. So "Hardcore" and "Casual" can not be used there. It is only "Human".

Matth

Edited by Matth85

- LOL. The OP got edited and my number answers are out of wonk. Anyway.

To Matth85

- Yeah it seems I didn't convey myself properly in the economy thing. Although mostly it's because for some reason, my last edit did not go through (wonky internet connection a while ago). There was supposed to be a statement regarding that when MMOs grow big, an "outside economy" begins to form, wherein items are sold for real world money and stuff. This becomes unfair for some gamers, especially kids or students who don't have access to bigger amounts of money. I've seen deals where in-game items were being sold for a few hundred dollars (equivalents). This breaks the in game economy. I've no problems with the in game economy. Sorry if I made it sound like that.

- Also on casual gamers, I meant it breaks the part where you "pick up where you left off" IMO. I've been parts of guilds and all that, and it seems that if you aren't always online, you're going to get out of the loop because no one waits for you. An exaggerated example would be Leroy Jenkins. LOL. He was AFK, and then suddenly he was out of the loop on the whole battle plan. It feels like I'm being forced to be online regularly. Being offline a week can surprise you with so many changes. It sort of forces you into a scheduled online time at least once every other day. It's not something that you can do after say, 2 weeks of hellish work/exams and kick back and play. Things change. The game world leaves you behind. For the OP who seems to have never played MMOs before, this CAN be a bad thing. Although it's actually a mirror of real life in a way. You don;t show up often, people will go "who's he again?".

Besides, the question was a bit personal (what do I not like about MMOs).

Chanchano05:

As far as reports go, yes you pay for a subscription every month. Some other MMOs are for free, others are paid upfront only, with you paying for items with real world cash. Kind of like the freemium games on iOS and Android.

Well they don't. MMOs need an active server for you to play it. If the server doesn't exist (if the company stops paying for it, or uses it for something else), the MMO launcher will just say "cannot connect to server", and you can't play

As for the casual gamer reference, well when you play less time than other people, you tend to get left behind and it may cause some annoyance for some. Also it requires a constant internet connection with decent speed to always work properly.

Three of the reasons why i cant play and afford MMO Games, plus its a Waste of Money when some Noob comes to Buy such Game only to find out the Company doesent support the Game nomore and your one of those that doesent have a Strong Internet Service.

Matth5:

Have you ever tried any MMOs? I just wonder since you hate it, but doesn't know about it.

You pay a small monthly fee. This pays for: Server uptime, patches and anti-hacking softwares. It's worth it.

If the company stops they usually die out. By that I mean you might get 1 server online, with minimal people playing. That said, about every MMO made is still active, even though most can be considered "dead"

Well its a Online Game and im not gonna lend my Bank Account to the Company to pay Monthly if i decide to quit the Game, yet im still paying them for a Game i dont have nomore. Plus, why wait for someone to be Online if i want to play my Game. I prefer Single Player Games and would rather Pay Modders that makes my Experience more fun.

Chanchano05:

When MMOs grow big, an "outside economy" begins to form, wherein items are sold for real world money and stuff. This becomes unfair for some gamers, especially kids or students who don't have access to bigger amounts of money. I've seen deals where in-game items were being sold for a few hundred dollars (equivalents). This breaks the in game economy. I've no problems with the in game economy. Sorry if I made it sound like that.

Also on casual gamers, I meant it breaks the part where you "pick up where you left off" IMO. I've been parts of guilds and all that, and it seems that if you aren't always online, you're going to get out of the loop because no one waits for you. An exaggerated example would be Leroy Jenkins. LOL. He was AFK, and then suddenly he was out of the loop on the whole battle plan. It feels like I'm being forced to be online regularly. Being offline a week can surprise you with so many changes. It sort of forces you into a scheduled online time at least once every other day. It's not something that you can do after say, 2 weeks of hellish work/exams and kick back and play. Things change. The game world leaves you behind. For the OP who seems to have never played MMOs before, this CAN be a bad thing. Although it's actually a mirror of real life in a way. You don;t show up often, people will go "who's he again?".

So you use Real Money to Buy or Sell things in a MMO Game and thanks for making me understand to stick with Single Player Games where i like to relax and come back when i feel like it.

Edited by daventry

01. Im looking at ESO and it looks Amazing, but i Hate Online Gaming and i Seriously Hope this kind of stuff and Animation is in TES6

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/media/videos/567

02. Do we have a Main Forum Section or Thread Section about ESO

03. How does Online Gaming work, must you pay every month for some kind of fee even though you Bought the Game.

04. How long do MMO Games last if a Company doesent support it no more.

05. How do you start or stop playing if the Game goes on and People finish the MQ, yet your just a Noob at the Beginning of everything since its not like your average Single Player Game.

06. Is MMO safe and how does the screen look like, or is there constant text with People typing.

07. How Rude can People get if you can avoid it somehow.

08. What is the general reason on Hating ESO in particular

09. Can you Only play a MMO Game when someone is Online aswell, like i have to wait for just 1 Person to be Online so i can play. How does MMO Games work in terms of Multiplayer Games, because i know in Multiiplayer Games, there has to be a Person so you can play aswell in witch i Hate Multiplayer Games.

i Hate to dissapoint you but that video is not what you will get when they release it eventually

my advice stay away from ESO it has nothing to do with the ES series and not even made by bethesda it is made by zenimax they only bought thr license on the name everything else they claim to betrue ES is basicly a pire lie and a marketing gimmick like i said there is nothing ES on it except its name

Basicly ESO is a remake of a older MMO that called dark age of camelot that while fun for a few hours eventually failed because it places yoo much limitations on the player actions ibecause of its game concepts almost impossible to expand

game is marketed with the idea that all ES fans will buy anything with the TES name printed on it even when it is completely fake

Three of the reasons why i cant play and afford MMO Games, plus its a Waste of Money when some Noob comes to Buy such Game only to find out the Company doesent support the Game nomore and your one of those that doesent have a Strong Internet Service.

It is your choice. I don't see the problem to be honest?

ESO will not run dry any time soon. At least a year will pass before anything might happen.

And if your internet connection is bad, I feel for you. That said, you are not forced to play with anybody. You can play a MMO perfectly fine alone, as long as you got a connection.

Well its a Online Game and im not gonna lend my Bank Account to the Company to pay Monthly if i decide to quit the Game, yet im still paying them for a Game i dont have nomore. Plus, why wait for someone to be Online if i want to play my Game. I prefer Single Player Games and would rather Pay Modders that makes my Experience more fun.

Again, it is your choice.
That said, you pay very little, and you are not forced to sign any kind of "Play minimum 1 year!" deal. You pay monthly, so if you quit, you stop the supscription.
Again, you do not need to wait for people to get online. You can play solo. And you ARE never the only one wanting to go online. Even if you logg on in the dead of the night, there will be people there.
To the other poster:
It feels like I'm being forced to be online regularly. Being offline a week can surprise you with so many changes.

I hear people say that. I just never understood it. If you are in a good guild, in any MMO, it matters little if you are gone a week -- or a year. You'll get back, and you'll progress.
MMOs are progressive games. So yes, you will be left behind if you stop playing. it's is a matter of perspective. What are you left behind of? Getting the best of the best?
If you play for story, or for fun, there is no problems in being "behind":
If you play hardcore, then yes -- 1 week off is bad. But plying hardcore is like being a proffesional gamer ( ew...) -- you need to prioritize gaming.
But yes, it is a personal question you answered too. So I will not argue around it. It is your opiniom after all.
@Kleinstaff:
What? Are you high or something?
You are right that it is not made by Bethesda, but it contains areas of TES, story of TES and is just as much a TES game as anything else. The only different is the time period and game-type.
You don't lose anything if you don't play it. It is not the "next TES game".
But spreading lies all around is lame, Kleinstaff.
Edited by Matth85

Thanks for making it more clear Kleinstaff, i shall wait for TES6 :D

well i am not saying you shpuldn(t try it

but a MMO is something you either like doing or not

my experience with the beta ESO was pretty negative , to keep it short it has nothing of the epicness , openended game of my sigle player modded skyrim, it is even pretty dull

back to MMO s i pretty much dislije the more populair mmos where you need to grind endless levels just so you can play with the bigboys like most MMOs today it is boring and they are full od teenagers running around screaming they owned your mom

another style of MMO is the open ended sandbox games where the developers provide only the tools and it is the players who make the stories

at first sign they seem harsh and open to griefing but actually there is more griefing in WoW than there is in EVE online by the way and if you get griefed in the latter it is mostly your own fault

Umm you only pay per month, if you decide to quit they don't just keep taking your money lol that would be illegal.

Some MMO's you can choose to pay for entire year or 6 months at a time, but if you decide to quit before that time is up they won't refund you because you chose to pay for X months.

But majority offer buy per month. Also that only applys to SUBSCRIPTION based MMO's. A lot of MMO's are Free to play, but you can put Real money in to speed up the time required to do certain things.

"Waste of Money when some Noob comes to Buy such Game only to find out the Company doesent support the Game nomore"

The above never happens, say if Guild Wars 2 company stopped support the game they wouldn't be selling it in stores or online

"So you use Real Money to Buy or Sell things in a MMO Game and thanks for making me understand to stick with Single Player Games where i like to relax and come back when i feel like it."

you CAN do that yes, but you can also play free ( depending on the MMO )

Plus, why wait for someone to be Online if i want to play my Game. I prefer Single Player Games and would rather Pay Modders that makes my Experience more fun.

Well that's just because you don't have any experience in playing them, you wouldn't understand the joys of having real people doing things around you. a "community"

Like when you join your first guild in that game and make new friends who you enjoy chatting too, and then you get a raid call/w/e voice chat service you want.

It's a lot different being able to play with real people then it's playing a single player ( obviously ). No matter how much you Mod Skyrim or Fallout it's not a thriving "community" in the game, no one besides you can do anything besides what they are coded to do.