Anorexia?

AzirAphale001

Just something interesting I discovered while writing an essay recently, is that some cultures often manage their bodies as the opposite to what sort of food supply the area has. For most (if not all of Western culture), since there is a lot of food, the ideal body is a thin one as it shows that the person has self control, regulation etc. while some other cultures value larger bodies because it shows of their wealth and ability to access food and resources e.g. some areas of Africa. While I couldn't confirm this is true myself, I found it quite interesting anyway.

back on topic a little more, anorexia is definitely a psychological thing. People might have different reasons for becoming anorexic, but it all comes down to one thing - what your brain is telling you.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my girls thick, chubby, or athletic. but I think anorexia is more based on deep psycological issues than what they think is sexy.

I honestly do not think it is very common. Here in the US we have the thickest girls and I've only seen a few girls in public who I would guess are anorexic. I think the disorder just gets a lot of attention. For every anorexic girl out there, there has to 20-25 morbidly obese, or more.

I like my girls thick, chubby, or athletic. but I think anorexia is more based on deep psycological issues than what they think is sexy.

I honestly do not think it is very common. Here in the US we have the thickest girls and I've only seen a few girls in public who I would guess are anorexic. I think the disorder just gets a lot of attention. For every anorexic girl out there, there has to 20-25 morbidly obese, or more.

i agree, my griflied is short, and slightly chubby... more like bog bones n short. either way, shes hot, i love her, and anorexia is just wrong. after all it is an eating DISORDER as in it shouldnt happen

That site is SO wrong, I mean, she's 14! There was a girl, here in the UK, who was 6 and was anorexic, but she DIDNT post a website/blog about it!

My girlfriend isnt fat, but shes no where near anorexic, and she is THE HOTNESS!

Yeah, I personally think authorities or the Piczo admin should take it down, at least, if there WERE any Piczo Admin...

• 1 month later...

I feel sorry for her, her mind seem so twisted. :confused: I hope for her sake she starts to thinking smart rather than thinking thin.

Makes me wish harder for to pulling on some more weight, which I don't quite

manage with, though I'm happy that I'm not all sticky like.

• 3 weeks later...

Anorexia is the result of a perceived flaw that one is too "fat" - it's a serious mental disorder which requires medication in the most serious cases. Like other mental disorders, it comes from a series of mental abuses and ideologies from ones surroundings, which in turn alters the perception of the individual. In this case, the individual's perceived weight as being too much. And modern Western society has played a major role in fostering this perception...

To make my point, MODERN SOCIETY is broken, with broken values and ideologies. It's the very few people who see through society's thin veil of shattered dreams and broken lives that are made out to be the bad ones, the ones who are wrong in their values and ideologies. I don't aim to change the world, or North America rather, nobody listens ANYWAY - however, there's nothing better than to at least try. But I digress.

What are we to do when we are bombarded with ads and ideas and values everyday by influential people - celebrities. The real pushers of the drug-like values that drive people to have screwed up morals. Forgive my language, but what the f*** happened to common sense!?! Where did the value of life go!? Are we so vain that most people think that looking like a damn toothpick is HOT!? It makes me burn with fiery rage to see this almost everyday.

I can understand the need to lose weight - obesity does entail higher risks for heart disease, diabetes, and other weight-related health issues. But we've gone too far to say the least. Vanity is the norm - there won't be a way to curtail society's obsession with looking "perfect" until WE as HUMAN BEINGS begin to see our own mistakes and DO SOMETHING TO RECTIFY THOSE MISTAKES. START by teaching acceptance at home and in school. STOP instilling the need to be "perfect" - PERFECTIONISM IS WRONG!!!

In our society, largely by the media, we are shown and told what is beautiful and what is not. I often look in the full-length mirror and wish I was thinner, and conversely I often will admit that I have some self-esteem issues. I think that disorders like anorexia stem in part from the way society tells us we should look (though other things can cause them as well, I know). Fortunately I have never suffered from such serious disorders, but I empathize with those who do because I know all too well that as a child crying in the girl's bathroom because someone called you a cow is not a pleasant memory. I am thankful for my mental health, though I still have some issues (as do we all, I believe), and I hope that advancements in the treatments of these disorders will continue.

People, I can speak on this from first hand experience. Eating disorders are a mental illness and an addiction. You can blame the media or society, and maybe they are contributing factors, but if fashion all of a sudden said big girls are in (which I would personally enjoy, yowza) I don't believe it would make a dent in anorexia numbers. It is very easy to judge these people and tell them to "eat a damn sammich" or snap out of it, but the fact that they are mentally ill means they do not see things the same way you do, and the fact that they are addicted to something that they literally cannot live without makes quitting cold turkey unrealistic to say the least. Try to put yourself in the head of someone who would do that to themselves, if you can. I still can't do it and I've been trying for years.

Off Topic:

Back in the old days before North America was found by Columbus being fat was a sign of wealth as one of the posters stated before hand.

More prevalent in England when most kings and queens were on the heavy side due to the access of food was high.

In modern days you can find food around the corner for the Industrialized nations. That turned the opinion of fat being a sign of wealth to a sign of no self control.

On Topic:

Anorexia is a mental illness, they do not just stick their finger down their throat all willy nilly. Th brain is a powerhouse that's hard to rewire after the age of 25. Women below the age of 25 will have a higher chance of overcoming it and returning to "normal" as the brain hasn't cemented its routes. Those that are over the age of 25 can STILL beat it but more determination is required. This ALL depends on how bad the mental state is as well

IceD

I understand that anorexia is a mental illness, which makes it entirely different from simply having one's little feelings hurt. And I admit that I don't understand it. But I can't help but believe that something other than the fickle finger of fate causes it. I believe it isn't a random thing. But, not being a researcher myself, having no schooling in psychology and having done no studies on the matter, I can only state my opinion. Not much of an argument for a debate topic, I know. I never joined the debate team in school, either.

But I can't help but comment on what I have experienced myself and what I see going on around me every day. What happens when a chubby adolescent girl hears all the cute boys saying: "Damn, that Paris Hilton is a fox! I'd f*** her brains out!" ? This is what happens in her heart and mind: she resents the boys for liking the slender girl instead of her, she resents the slender girl for being the slender girl and she resents herself for not being a slender girl. She asks herself: "How can I be like that girl, so boys will like me too?" These are thoughts that take a deep root in the mind, where mental disorders reside.