free placing snap points

greekrage

Hi all...

Ive made some camouflage nets (used the mutant habitat net )...

My issue is that i want to make them also workshop items but cannot make them placeable .

I used the P-WS-Autoplace like we have for posters,portraits etc... but the object wont even light up in workshop (not even red)

Do they maybe need another type of snap point ?

Also are there any flags i need to add ?

R18hm5.jpg

It doesn't have a collision?

They MUST have one for it to work with workshop & interacting.

so basically i would have to add them as is and specify that they need a placing mod...

Weird thing is i got one to work out of the 10 (5 static and 5 animated) but it orients the wrong way no matter what i do to the transform or snap point rotation (instead of snapping across the surface (like a portrait)... it snaps half in the wall and half out...and you can interact with it...

I even rotated the snap point looking upwards to snap under stuff like a balcony or ceiling and it still kept the original snap orientation...

I would find it really insane if only one has collision.

BRA243.jpg

going to lay them all down in CK and see if they are all the same collision wise..

Ok found 2 solutuions...

a) used a flag (workshop flag) and swapped the trishape and it works but still dont have proper interaction (can be placed but not scrapped/moved once placed.

b) made it into a scol by adding a thin pipe on top (pipe has collision).

Opened the scol in nifskope and added the snap point .

This works 100%

Now i need to figure out why it wont allow placement UNder a surface like a hanging light for example so i can hang it under balconies...

Does it possibly need an origin ?

Btw the ones in the background placed under the surfaces are done in CK....

Here is what i got so far...

Also height is variable but only against a vertical surface like a painting...

NM2b48.jpg

Edited by greekrage

I've done without setting an origin and it doesn't seem to matter. I do usually add one.

The orientation of the connection points matter, on both sides (objects)! as well as having corresponding names.

It will use the P-WS-Autoplace to place it along a collision. (as far as I have noticed)

Without collision you can place the object, but since you need a collision for interacting, you can't move it or scrap it etc. For the actual snapping it doesn't need one though, except for the "autoplace" (afaict)

edit:

It will lighten up when you mouse over the collsion, showing its name and all options.

It turns red when the collisions intersect. (depending on type of collision-type of course)

Edited by RoNin1971

I've done without setting an origin and it doesn't seem to matter. I do usually add one.

The orientation of the connection points matter, on both sides (objects)! as well as having corresponding names.

It will use the P-WS-Autoplace to place it along a collision. (as far as I have noticed)

Without collision you can place the object, but since you need a collision for interacting, you can't move it or scrap it etc. For the actual snapping it doesn't need one though, except for the "autoplace" (afaict)

solution found for snapping at edges...

added a P-Balcony01 point as well (didnt think of adding one with the autoplace )... Now it snaps to walls and floor edges...

Is there a snap point that snaps to all type of edges (example this type doesnt snap to concrete edges unless it needs to be a floor and not a ceiling/roof )...

Edited by greekrage

Is there a snap point that snaps to all type of edges

Not that I am aware off.

The DLC-06 vault floors for example only snap to regular & other floors when/because they have 3 overlapping connection points (one "regular" P-WS-Floor one for the hanging floor & one for vault-floors.)

If it could be done with just one universal connection point, they would probably have used it there.

Its also one of the sources of a lot of frustration while building, as combined roof/floor pieces for example usually only have one set, connecting to ceilings, but not floors and vice versa.

Edited by RoNin1971

Is there a snap point that snaps to all type of edges

Not that I am aware off.

The DLC-06 vault floors for example only snap to regular & other floors when/because they have 3 overlapping connection points (one "regular" P-Floor one for the hanging floor & one for vault-floors.)

If it could be done with just one universal connection point, they would probably have used it there.

Its also one of the sources of a lot of frustration while building, as combined roof/floor pieces for example usually only have one set, connecting to ceilings, but not floors and vice versa.

lol just saw the different types in the ck.... Impossible to cover all the possibilities...(others for floors,others for ceilings,balconies etc... )... The concrete floors have several different types on each side...

Im just gonna leave the balcony01(most common) and the autoplace

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16181

in this mod, objects have the largest interaction bs conect point's. 40-100 points per object. They, respectively, interact with all points in the game in all mods and vanilla. On my models, I copy points from these floors, walls, foundations, etc. All points must necessarily have opposite vectors along the docking axes. In principle, it makes sense to create universal blanks for objects of various sizes, shapes and purposes.

Universal snapping can't be done, since a snap will not only align to the opposite snap point, but to its axis as well.

Also, the more snap points you add, the more potential f*#@ery you create. At one point too much is just too much.