SayToDone block doesn't fire on dialogue package topic

Belthan

NPC1 has dialogue package to start a conversation with NPC2. The rest of the conversation is scripted via SayToDone blocks in the object scripts of the two NPCs. NPC1 speaks the dialogue package topic, but the SayToDone block does not fire when it is complete (verified with a showmessage command). Same thing happens whether Dialogue Type is set to Conversation or Say To.

However, if I change the dialogue package to a travel package with same target & flags, and put a sayto command in the On End result script for the package using the same topic as the dialog package, the whole conversation proceeds as expected (and the showmessage popup appears), so I know it isn't a problem with the topic conditions or such.

Google didn't turn up any similar reports, so I thought someone here might know if this is a known issue / feature (in which case I have a workaround, no biggie), or if it's more likely a symptom of something I need to worry about (e.g. corrupted save or esp). Thanks~

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. Maybe it's just me, but conversations using the Link To & Link From fields in the Conversation window seem to have awkward pauses. I use that method for background "atmosphere" dialog between NPCs because it's easier, but I script conversations for crucial cutscenes with SayToDone because they seem snappier and more immersive.