need reminding please

pawzseven

hello, have just installed F3 again, on win7 64bit. All is fine, patched, Live disabled, and the game runs. I have installed the Mod manager and have a few mods I want to put back on, for greener landscape and a couple of user homes outside of Megaton - and would like to get some more mods - but can't quite bring to mind what to do with the mod when unzipped. Am I looking for a data file to put into a mods folder or what? If you could point me to a how-to so I can refresh my memory, I would appreciate it.

Ah, coming back to me; .esp into the data folder in the game, and then tick the box in mod manager - zat right? I bet there is a wrinkle or two I have forgotten though.

Edited by pawzseven

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I recommend making all your mods into FOMOD's using the manager tools. This way you can uninstall any mod independently and not mess up your installation directory with old/obsolete/conflicting files.

So no matter what you do or screw around with, you can always revert it back to a clean install.

If you have forgotten, all you do is open up FOMM and choose "Package Manager" > create Fomod > Add files > select Zip > open zip > drag contents to the files pane > enter file name and set save location to "Create FOMOD"

Also, if you are working with just a mod folder (no archive) just select "Add Folder" in the manager instead of Files.

Best of luck, and I should recommend playing with FWE and Ironsights mods. Makes the game a trillion times better.

ooh, wow, thank you surg23. I shall follow your advice and go look for those mods later today - sound exciting! I am outside Vault 101 now, and have got meself a home, but wondering what to do next as have previously done the plot and don't want to go through all that again. Trouble is I quite liked having that big guy around, the one you rescue, though he can be a bit in the way sometimes. Ho-hum

ps, have put your directions on notepad - very helpful, ta :smile:

pps, just been on NexusMods (couldnt wait) and there are quite a few mods to do with Ironsights, and some as patches to enable FWE and Ironsights to work together - could you point me to the one(s) I need to focus on please?

ppps, got all the files for FWE down..... yay.

Edited by pawzseven

Hey, no problem buddy.

I know what you mean by "being in the way" I got tired of Dogmeat killing me by standing between me and cover all the time, so I have been traveling alone for some time now. I did however just install a Mod that lets you tame wild animals, but am still in the testing phase.

About FWE, I set this installation up a long time ago and have been adding to it for over two years or more. So I doubt I can give you all the up-to-date details. But hopefully I can illustrate using this screen shot.

http://i.imgur.com/fI9Q0KR.jpg?1

To my knowledge, you will need the Core files of both mods plus the ESP's for any DLC content you have. In addition you also need RH_FWE_Bridge.esp which lets RH (Iron sights) support FWE integrated weapons.

thank you -awesome list of mods there. I shall come back to this when I have sussed better how to use FOMOD. I have tried to install mods as a list, like you would with Silent Hunter mods using JSGME, but that didn't work, perhaps because you have to enter the specific name of each mod ( so why does it give you the option to bring the folder over I wonder), and after I loaded one part of FWE, I couldn't get the other part on - and neither appeared in the .esp list in Fallout, so clearly I am doing something wrong, but I shall keep at it. I have Broken Steel, Point Lookout and The Pitt, but not yet installed. I ought to do that first I spose. Many thank you's for your help.

Edited by pawzseven

Oh yeah, I probably should have gone into more detail about using FOMOD's.

The reason behind the two "panes" is so you can load only the files you want from an archive/folder. If you want to create your own custom FOMOD using all the updated files you have, simply create a folder somewhere and copy all the content you wish to use for that mod into that folder and load that folder using the Package manager. This way its a stand-alone full package.

Be careful though, as you do still need to maintain the proper directory structure.

http://i.imgur.com/6pnaDU4.jpg?1

In this instance I copied all esp's and merged some mesh and texture folders into one folder that is configured and FOMOD ready. One other reason I do this is because I can backup that folder and archive it. Also be wary that some update archives don't have the right hierarchy set for FOMOD use, so sometimes you need to pay strict attention to the directory structure that FOMOD files use.

sounds a bit techy, but will give it a go, thanks.

...'kay, got the main elements of FWE on now. Downloaded and added a script util which seems to have helped. I now have a motorbike to fast travel with ! Going to find a couple of homes now. then my joy will be complete!

Edited by pawzseven

Good stuff, how are you finding FWE and Iron sights so far ? I have found both mods to make the game much more challenging and rewarding. For me the game was never rewarding because of the constant cheese-mode that was vanilla settings and VATS. Now the thought of VATS makes me sick, but with FWE and Iron-sights you are a true survivor and actually put some effort into being the protagonist and not the equivalent of a spoiled little biatch with god-mode enabled. Such is my analogy anyway.

If you set FWE up right, levels will come very slow, caps are hard to come by, ammo is scarce, enemies are everywhere, this is where Fallout really becomes Fallout and the true reward is the feeling of overcoming the harsh reality of the wastes and the perils you face.

For a truly great experience I recommend Existence 2.0, which is a Radio station with quests that adds some very macabre ambient music that gives you the feeling of despair at all times. It really feels like you're there and will enhance your immersion as it meshes so well with the fallout world.

If you are feeling a bit bloodthirsty, I'de recommend MMM (Mertigen's Mutant Mod) Add all kinds of creepy crawlies to the world that have increased spawn rates. Should keep you on your toes.

Edited by surg23

surg, you are made of sterner stuff than me. I sometimes wonder why I play these games as I get scared out of my seat sometimes - though I do not find Fallout as scary as the STALKER series. Still I note what you say about the ambient music mod. I will give MMM a miss though!

At present I have not loaded Iron-sights. Still on my to do list. First thing I wanted was a bolt-hole, and though I have Captain Darwins house installed, that is a bit drafty. I prefer the mini-hideout at Springvale for staying in, so downloaded that - but there is a car over the place where the entry button used to be, in both versions. I don't think that was there before. How am I supposed to get in with THAT in the way I wonder; am I to blow it up first? I have the key, and am keen to get in, but... ggrrr.

Well, past my bedtime - haven't got the stamina of youth anymore, so I will resume tomorrow, hopefully - best beloved wants me to help him with his shed-building project tomorrow (sigh).

I'm not actually sure about the Hideout place, I wasn't aware of any place like that in Springvale. Perhaps I've been playing FWE so long that I forgot about it being there in vanilla. There is the abandoned ranch, but I'm guessing that's not it. The only thing I can think of is loading the cell in GECK and check if the entrance is still there and accessible, if it is you could actually move the car quite easily by clicking on it and dragging in the cell view window.

If you need any basic help with GECK just ask, though I am not very proficient at using it yet, I can still help with basic stuff. Most of the time people won't enjoy or approve of every aspect of major overhaul mods like FWE, so some tinkering may be required. I didn't particularly like the FWE skill-book system so I changed it back to vanilla, stuff like that.

There's also an awesome texture pack that I use called NMCS-Texture pack which makes the game look absolutely stunning. It's roughly 1gb in size, but well worth the download, you can get it here: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/12056/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D12056%26preview%3D&pUp=1

This is another great mod that adds more explorable buildings throughout the game, which is great if you like scavenging, you can get it here: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/5573/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D5573&pUp=1

Another mod I recommend is Imaginator which lets you adjust every aspect of how the game looks, like tints, contrast, film grain and various other enhancements, you can get it here: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/16875/?

Back to housing, I have been wanting to find a new home for a long time, but haven't found anything suitable yet. You seem like you know a lot more about houses and hideouts than me, so if you could recommend something that would be great too.

Hope you enjoyed your shed building adventure today hehe.

Edited by surg23