need reminding please

pawzseven

Thank you surg. Won't do any more tonight, but think all OK so far - just been in for a quick play. Still didn't see anything about gun-oil though - you sure that is part of FWE? I saw a mod for that on Nexus.

Anyway, all looks good. Will do Iron-sight tomorrow. Also want to put 'mini-hideout' on so I have a bed to kip in, 'no more gore' (which is a must for fainthearts like me - I couldn't play Oblivion without it), something to make the world greener (!) and your blue sky mod.

I shall come back to you for help if I get in a pickle ( big grin).

Nighty-night now, and yes, groan, I didn't get Zeta 'cos it looked a bit weird at the time, to have space-ships.. my mistake it seems! Ho-hum.

I'll leave you in peace now to get back to your shapely companions. :laugh:

Edited by pawzseven

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, no problem at all.

The Gun oil is a part of RH Iron sights, I think I referred to it in that context because I assumed you had installed both FWE and RH before.

If you can refrain from installing any addition mods for now, and just install all core mods, including texture packs - Fellout etc, we can conclude that everything essential up to this point is working well together. You can sleep in the "Common house" in Megaton in the meantime, there are safe containers in there as well. Though this shouldn't be the start of your proper play through, we just need to stress-test at the moment. That and things are more likely to be stable when you start a new game with all core mods already installed.

So don't be fussy with this session, just quickly and thoughtlessly put the game through it's paces. RH is a major mod so we want to install that plus any mods that effect game play and more specifically weapons because we want to make sure Vanilla-DLC-FWE and RH are playing nicely together.

The DC interiors mod which I highly recommend would be classified as a core mod, so if you wish to use it, install before you start your proper play through.

It should be safe to add the other miscellaneous mods on an existing play through. But try adding one mod at a time followed by a short test game. Repeating until you have most/all desired mods then start your proper game. I know this might sound extreme or silly, but this way we know what is stable and what is not.

As for the texture packs, we will still want to make a FOMOD - there shouldn't be any reason to be dropping raw files into your Data folder. If there are updates to any existing mods you have installed via FOMOD, then I suggest rebuilding the FOMOD with the update included. This will keep things nice and organized. Additionally it's probably a good idea that when you name your FOMOD you give it details to signify what it contains.

For example, when you combine all archives from NMC's texture pack it's now a full package and you name it "NMC-Full-Texture-pack" or something to that effect.

Hehe, well I know you're not fond of companions, and neither am I for the most part, but the use of Brisa is entirely situational at the moment. I have MMM maxed out on very hard so my game is rather hostile to say the least, and with me not being a big fan of God-items, I can die pretty much instantly even to a pesky raider. Prancing around in nothing but skimpy leather that only gives 20 DR probably isn't helping. So the use of Brisa doesn't really negate much of the difficulty, but she serves as more of a role playing enhancement. She is fully voice acted and has one of the best AI packages I've seen. She actually levels up with you and you can distribute her skill points and give her books to read, but more importantly she is balanced. She consumes ammo so you have to keep her stocked and has different weapon slots and a very in-depth configuration system. Probably the only companion I would recommend.

There is another one I tried out (still installed for the moment) called Jessie companion, though it was decent, Brisa has a better system and isn't such a tart. :smile:

About the "Arwen_Reduced_XPR" mod I mentioned before, this is great for adding longevity to your game and ensures you don't over-level. I recommend installing it once you reach level 10. I found combining the 75% reduced XP with FWE's slowest leveling option works well, and you can enjoy a long and prosperous game. Configured like this I have 143 hours down at level 12.

So I know now you're not into all the bloodthirsty stuff, but you could still use MMM for its many other features and/or tweak it so there are less monsters but a higher probability of Raiders and neutral creatures. I feel there is not nearly enough activity in the wastes, and if for nothing else the wildlife is worth it on its own. Just something to think about before you start your real game.

Remember, since we install everything using FOMOD, you can safely uninstall anything at the click of a button if it causes issues.

Edited by surg23

you're a star surg, using up your game time to help me. This is A.M. in sunny (ish) Petersfield, and I have a a number of routine obligations to meet, plus a computer job before I can get back to F3 - hopefully this afternoon for a brief session, long enough to put iron-sights on and check it out. I DID put it on before, but saw no sign of it in the game, so obviously did not do it right.

I will abide by your advice, and not load mini-hideout yet, and hope this time around there will be a bed for me in Common Room; whenever I tried to climb onto an empty bed before ( no sheets - yuk!) I was told I couldn't, in red. Keepin' me eyes open with matchsticks I was... will report back when have something useful to say :geek:

That's quite alright, I understand you have stuff to do and family to attend to. Sorry if I'm being too persistent or demanding, it's only that I'm in a bit of a jam at the moment and this month may be the end of my internet access for some time. I just wanted to get your game running nicely before any of that happens. But your family and job should come first, so I'll try to be more patient and less demanding. :)

surg, just come on here between jobs ( two ladies need computer help now) and am dismayed that you are possibly going to lose net - my heart goes out to you, truly. You are not in the least demanding - I feel that you are doing your best to help me and I greatly appreciate it. Oh-oh, being called. Be back later...

It's good that you have so many customers especially in the day where there is so much competition in the IT world. Takes me back to the day when I actually knew something about PC's, but I've become so complacent that if my PC blew up I would probably sit in the corner and suck my thumb. Well, good luck fixin those troublesome machines, and thank you for the kind words. :)

well, Iron-sights appears to be on. Can I ask, when I drag the contents of the FOMOD folder over to the right pane, do I need to expand the tree first and put each module in one-by-one, or do i simply put the Data folder which holds them in, and then expand the tree so they show, or what? I did the latter with iron-sights

As with FWE, in the mod list which appears after you have activated, I assume I should untick everything to do with expansion as I have not put any on yet, that right?.

I began a new game and went for the alternative start, and found myself in a little shed, but when I went to access the console, presumably to open the door, the game froze. I restarted and went to 'Continue' and everything behaved as it should. I still had the expansion iron-sight mods for PLticked at the time, not having seen it, which I unticked when I came out of the frozen game, so maybe that was it.

There is some guy ( in the game) who seems to have it in for me. He first appeared in the previous game while I was looking for the Outcast base, and in that I was successful in killing him, but he is appearing very early on in the current game, and much better armed than I am, so kills me each time, and all I am doing is walking along with a trader party minding me own business. Name like 'Steve Ferrill', do you know what that is about? I ain't dun nuffink to him!!

Right.... what next O Wise One...Fellout you mention as a biggy I think, and DC Interiors. I'll have to download them.

ps yes I now have gun-oil, but I was expecting something in-game to give me a scope view or similar when aiming my rather ancient shot-gun, but nothing different seems to be there. Is that as it should be?

PS tried new game again (after toggling Archive Invalidation off and on) and all fine this time, so I think that's a 'yes'. Still can't get a bed in Common room though... (sigh). Off to feed critturs now..in real life that is :)

Edited by pawzseven

h'okay... what have I got on...

all the expansions bar Zeta

FWE

RH Ironsights

DC Interiors

Fellout

Mini Hideout

and everything seems to be working as it should, except that the outside views look a bit too bright; suddenly, the reds are too red, the rust too orange and the sky a bit too light though blue is welcome. Fiddled with settings but did not make much difference.Fellout maybe.

Not ready for MMM yet, and I was going to put full NMC mod on, but as it decrunched into a folder it was telling me some files were broken, so have not pursued that. I have downloaded those files again, will see if I can get it on tomorrow........ night-night world

Edited by pawzseven

well, Iron-sights appears to be on. Can I ask, when I drag the contents of the FOMOD folder over to the right pane, do I need to expand the tree first and put each module in one-by-one, or do i simply put the Data folder which holds them in, and then expand the tree so they show, or what? I did the latter with iron-sights

FOMM reads and installs FOMOD's in two ways - If the package doesn't have a FOMOD Script you need to set up the folder structure to match that of Fallout's folder structure so when the FOMOD is activated it follows a system of placing files/folder in a particular way. You only need to look into your Fallout folder to see the structure. If your package has a script, the script tells where to put its respective files and folders.

You need to expand until you have the proper folder hierarchy for FOMM to use. In this case:

http://i.imgur.com/N9gLe6L.jpg

As with FWE, in the mod list which appears after you have activated, I assume I should untick everything to do with expansion as I have not put any on yet, that right?.

I began a new game and went for the alternative start, and found myself in a little shed, but when I went to access the console, presumably to open the door, the game froze. I restarted and went to 'Continue' and everything behaved as it should. I still had the expansion iron-sight mods for PLticked at the time, not having seen it, which I unticked when I came out of the frozen game, so maybe that was it.

I had assumed you installed all DLC content already - The best way considered by most people is that you install the base game - patches + all DLC content before you even start installing mods. If you have to, deactivate all mods, install DLC then reactivate your mods.

There is some guy ( in the game) who seems to have it in for me. He first appeared in the previous game while I was looking for the Outcast base, and in that I was successful in killing him, but he is appearing very early on in the current game, and much better armed than I am, so kills me each time, and all I am doing is walking along with a trader party minding me own business. Name like 'Steve Ferrill', do you know what that is about? I ain't dun nuffink to him!!

I have never heard of that Steve guy before, nothing turned up in my searches online for him either. I'm sorry I don't know what is going on with that. Hopefully it is part of a quest line or script and not the FWE mod breaking.

Right.... what next O Wise One...Fellout you mention as a biggy I think, and DC Interiors. I'll have to download them.

ps yes I now have gun-oil, but I was expecting something in-game to give me a scope view or similar when aiming my rather ancient shot-gun, but nothing different seems to be there. Is that as it should be?

RH supports roughly 95% of weapons (it will only work with weapons that are supported by your mod configuration) In this case all FWE-Vanilla-DLC integrated weapons. If you install or have other 3rd party weapons installed they won't be supported unless there is a support patch for that particular mod. Most shotguns don't use Iron sights.

If you have installed it correctly, almost all weapons should give you an Iron sight view and remove the aiming reticule when doing so.

PS tried new game again (after toggling Archive Invalidation off and on) and all fine this time, so I think that's a 'yes'. Still can't get a bed in Common room though... (sigh). Off to feed critturs now..in real life that is :smile:

I used the common house for quite some time as my base of operations in this play through, though I might have just sneak slept in a bed there and took the small Karma hits. I just needed the storage facility as the locker there seems to be safe.

h'okay... what have I got on...

all the expansions bar Zeta

FWE

RH Ironsights

DC Interiors

Fellout

Mini Hideout

and everything seems to be working as it should, except that the outside views look a bit too bright; suddenly, the reds are too red, the rust too orange and the sky a bit too light though blue is welcome. Fiddled with settings but did not make much difference.Fellout maybe.

I was actually going to walk you through the installation of all these mods in detail, just to make sure everything was done right. I am a little worried about the methods you used and what your packages actually look like. If possible could you post a screen of your DC-interiors and Fellout packages, and your load order and package list.

On the topic of screen shots, I noticed your last one was rather small. The best way I found is to go to your Fallout folder (or where your screens are stored) and click edit > save as J-peg then upload to http://imgur.com/ and paste the BB code in your post. Or if you want to capture out of game, simply hit PrintScreen then open Paint and click Ctrl+V to paste, then use method above.

Fellout has dynamic weather, it will change erratically from deep blue skies to sunsets and sunrises that soak everything in orange light. It's strange that you say it's too bright, Fellout is usually known to darken the world significantly. In my game, the nights are so dark that I can only see 5 feet in front of me. I have actually used Imaginator to increase the brightness and various adjustments in contrast and saturation, maybe you could give that a try. It might also be related to your Brightness settings of your monitor and/or the brightness setting in Fallout 3. Posting a screen would give me a better idea of what is going on.

Not ready for MMM yet, and I was going to put full NMC mod on, but as it decrunched into a folder it was telling me some files were broken, so have not pursued that. I have downloaded those files again, will see if I can get it on tomorrow........ night-night world

Hmm, that's very unlucky to get a damaged archive on such a big file. Hopefully that won't happen again.

It's kind of hard for me to keep track of how everything looks on your end at the moment. But if everything seems fine to you, then maybe everything is as it should be.

Edited by surg23

surg, I feel I might be wearing you out. You are worrying ( it sounds like). You have helped me so much - I don't want to be a burden. Everything looks good and if I think something is awry I can take it off and try again can't I. I will try to do these screen-shots as described to ease your mind, but it may be a bit disjointed as I am working on a computer, the gas-man cometh to fix our broken cooker ( I hate having visitors), and all the usual tasks of the day have to be met -dog-walking, shed-building, housework, cooking, husband cuddling...... it's a hard life!! :blush: