Modifying Morrowind.exe causes instant CTD (Morrowind Overhaul issue)

rinoaff33

I am attempting to install the latest version of the Morrowind Overhaul onto a fresh install of Morrowind Steam GOTY Edition. As the title suggests, using a modded version of Morrowind.exe causes the game to crash. By "crash", I mean the game launches to a black screen, hangs for a few seconds, and closes. Both the launcher and the game then refuse to close their process, requiring me to restart the computer. This seems to be a complex issue, and I have tried many possible solutions with no positive results, so I'm going to organize the post into sections. I would appreciate any help on the subject.

I should mention that the game was previously working with Morrowind Overhaul 2.0, but I have now only encountered issues with the newest version (3.0).

System Specs

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8 GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6850

8 GB of RAM

Things That Trigger the Crash

- Using the Morrowind Code Patcher

- Using the EXE optimizer (exeOpt.exe)

Scenarios In Which the Game Works

- Vanilla installation

- Morrowind Overhaul assets installed without a modified Morrowind.exe, all data files enabled, MGE enabled

Errors Encountered

- Game instantly crashes upon clicking Play in launcher, both game and launcher freeze and require computer restart

- Game crashes with "Application Error 5:[random numbers]" and again requires computer restart to close

- EXE optimizer sometimes gives error about "sse.exe" being in use by another process

Things I Have Tried

- Reinstalling the game, verifying integrity of the game cache (multiple times)

- Launching Steam.exe, Morrowind.exe, and Morrowind Launcher.exe as administrator

- Launching Morrowind in compatibility mode

- Launching Morrowind with the Morrowind FPS Optimizer running

- Launching Morrowind by directly opening Morrowind.exe

- Disabling the Steam overlay

- Disabling all non-essential data files (aka all except Morrowind, Bloodmoon, and Tribunal)

- Installing game patches outside of Steam (resulted in game requiring disk)

- Running the Code Patcher and not the EXE optimizer, and vice versa

- Installing Morrowind into a different folder

- Running the Code Patcher and EXE Optimizer on the Morrowind.exe outside of its normal folder and copying the updated exe back into the Morrowind installation folder

• 3 weeks later...

I am having this EXACT same issue. I haven been able to play with the Overhaul just fine for about a year or so. Then suddenly this happens. I have re-installed Morrowind, and re-installed MGO several times, and all being failures. All of which also force me to restart my computer.

What is weird is that whenever I try to start Morrowind, be it just clicking the launcher, or Morrowind.exe with admin, or through Steam -- it always opens up the Steam store before causing Windows Explorer to be put on an unresponsive loop, thus forcing a restart.

I often get Steam "Error 53" when attempting to start Morrowind with the overhaul through Steam.

• 2 weeks later...

Rino, I figured out what the issue was, at least from my end. If you still read this board, I hope this helps. I randomly turned off Avast! silent mode and it popped up, saying it was scanning a file in Morrowind when I launched the Morrowind.exe. Add an exception to Avast! to the whole Morrowind folder, and it worked flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...