HTPC-gaming rig planning stages

I guess so, but the first with a heatsink rad combo in that particular order-make and model. :geek:

Incorrect again, but let's just ignore that.

What I forgot to say is - make sure that the H100i can fit in there. Your mobo has a lot of heatsinks, the case is a bit crammed, and the H100i isn't exactly thin, it may interfere with the mobo. If that's the case, you can put smaller fans on the radiator so it doesn't make problems with the mobo. Problem is, you can't know anything until you get the case, you have to get the case first and choose the rest later, or you may end up with a system that can't fit inside. :confused:

Here is a inside look with the fans in place. I would be placing it above the motherboard if possible. the two 80mm fans.

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/164911/5/fractal_design_node_605.jpg

Edited by Thor.

Here is a inside look with the fans in place. I would be placing it above the motherboard if possible. the two 80mm fans.

That won't work. The H100i radiator is 240x120mm in size, those two 80mm vents are 160x80mm in size. And looking at the 240x120mm mount, by putting the radiator with the fans there you can't insert the mobo, and if you mount the mobo, you can't insert the radiator with the fans. *sigh* Stupid small cases...

Unless you want to pay a bunch of money for a low-profile cooler that can "maybe" cool your CPU (or maybe fit inside the case), I advise some thinking. The radiator itself can fit since it's as wide as the fan, but it's too big once fans are mounted on it. This is why I said go Intel if you want a silent, small form-factor PC, cooling an FX 8350 in something that small is damn near impossible without a lot of investments!

Anyway... Reversing all system fans to blow out and installing a bare radiator is out of the question, too many holes, too many air leaks, the radiator wouldn't have enough air flowing through it unless you hermetically seal the entire case. Getting two slimline 120mm fans to replace the stock ones "might" be a solution, would be better if you were to mount them on the outside of the case but I'm not sure how much you'd like that. Re-purposing the top panel is also a bit problematic, wouldn't be as pretty and too many things could go wrong.

Hmm, as I said, first get the case, then take the pics of it's guts with the components laid out in it, and then we can think about what to fit where. I can't calculate how large everything is in an empty case, working with measurements alone was never my strong suit.

Edited by Werne

I may just get that heatsink instead. If you say that Nontua heatsink will fit i might get get that instead.

List so far

Noctua heatsink

Fractal Design case

two noctua custom fans

and two 80mm fans above the motherboard for more cooling 15fb noise ratio.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1148921&CatId=5399

Also that cd drive bay can be a problem but there is adopters out there that the atcx Mobos can use.

Slim line blu ray drives are cheap for laptops so can still use that as well.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slimline-Mini-SATA-Laptop-DVD-Bluray-ROM-RW-to-Desktop-Power-SATA-Adapter-Cable-/370886186181?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item565a8a14c5

Why would you go Microatx even with that setback which isn't much of a setback that can be easily worked around.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-BT20N-Blu-Ray-Optical/dp/B007HO546C/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

Edited by Thor.