animated sacks possible?

jackmorris21

Things like this exist for a lot of things, but as that sort of animation would be very hard I don't see it happening to soon. You would need to basically build an entirely new mesh from scratch of the opened sack. I think the open barrel animations for SMIM work by making the barrel and the lid two separate meshes, and just moving the lid mesh, but something like this would not be possible with the sack mesh as it would have to involve changing the entire shape and look of the mesh itself.

I know, I’ve never seen a mesh deform for any of the static object animations. I don’t have a problem in creating new meshes, just the animating mesh deform part. I’ll do some more experimenting

well, from what I know a mesh has to be designed to deform. If you tried to open the current sack mesh you'd be left looking into a see through hole, even if you could get the mesh to be deformed right, you would probably have to build a new mesh, or edit the existing one so there is an interior to the sack for your to see when you open it. ^_^

If you wanted a true animation you would have to come up with a skeleton for the bag and rig the mesh to the skeleton and then animate the skeleton. The only alternative (that I'm aware of) is to do some old school sprite type animations where you would have multiple meshes, one with the bag closed and one with the bag opened and there would be no in between frames. The first I don't believe is possible because I don't think anyone has figured out how to add new skeletons, only replace existing ones. The second is very possible, since this is exactly what is done with plant animations. Snowberries for example have only two meshes. One for the bush with berries on them, and one with no berries. When you pick the berries, the game automatically changes to the second mesh. This would probably be pretty easy to do in the creation kit for your sack idea. The part that would take time would be creating the new open sack mesh and then getting it in game. Since the .nif exporters often cause problems, a detailed knowledge of nifskope is necessary.

I have a mod in my L/O called Stash Sacks that does something much like what the user above describes, you can drop a folded up sack, and on activation it turns into a normal sack for you to store stuff in. I really don't think there is any way around having to make a totally new mesh for this idea though. ^-^; Well, a new mesh for every type of bag you wanted to add the animation for.