Engine dependency on PC performance?

South8028

How much do you think PC performance in fo4 depends on the number of processor cores? Is there a real difference in game between a 10 core system and a 32 core system? How much does the engine support multi-core? I saw a video where Epyc 64 cores +64 cores was processing ~60k characters in Boston. But there was probably a bunch of video cards in sli. In general... Multi-core architecture vs CPU frequency and manufacturability?

How much do you think PC performance in fo4 depends on the number of processor cores? Is there a real difference in game between a 10 core system and a 32 core system? How much does the engine support multi-core? I saw a video where Epyc 64 cores +64 cores was processing ~60k characters in Boston. But there was probably a bunch of video cards in sli. In general... Multi-core architecture vs CPU frequency and manufacturability?

i dont think the game uses more than 4 cores... Hence core speed is the factor that helps game performance and not more cores..

Also note the other obvious factor is the GPU and its vram (speed and size )...

The further up you go from 1080p the less the graphics depend on the CPU and more of the GPU...

Again this all is for this game...not newer titles...

Edited by greekrage

i dont think the game uses more than 4 cores... Hence core speed is the factor that helps game performance and not more cores..

Also note the other obvious factor is the GPU and its vram (speed and size )...

The further up you go from 1080p the less the graphics depend on the CPU and more of the GPU...

Again this all is for this game...not newer titles...

I never thought of playing fo4 in 2k or 4k. In my understanding, this is the act of converting fps to garbage. It's just that there are a lot of very cheap Epyc's 24-64 cores. I'm thinking about what to give preference to... Regular ryzen 6-8 cores, or less technologically advanced and slow, but very powerful server, maybe also on zen cores. If the fo4 engine depends on multitasking, then theoretically, 32 cores should affect the speed of calculations. ai will calculate navmesh paths faster, and it will be possible, for example, to spawn huge crowds of ghouls. ) I would like to know from people the experience of playing fo4 on servers with a huge number of cores.

How the game engine is coded is unknown because it's not open source but given by the fact that the Creation Engine wasn't known of being the most advanced engine in 2015, I doubt it can utilize that many cores efficiently. And if the developers would like to make the game truly Next-Gen, they need to update the engine anyway so probably it won't remain in its current state much longer.

Edited by LarannKiar

How the game engine is coded is unknown because it's not open source but given by the fact that the Creation Engine wasn't known of being the most advanced engine in 2015, I doubt it can utilize that many cores efficiently. And if the developers would like to make the game truly Next-Gen, they need to update the engine anyway so probably it won't remain in its current state much longer.

True...

Given the fact that the so called "update" were expecting will utilize some newer technologies it may include multicore/multithread fixes as well.....

lol look at this for example...

This is obviously in the CK... Where its dragging its feet while moving around in a location mod... ONLY ONE core doing the work... The others are handling background tasks that are running in the OS...Imagine if all cores and threads were active...

v6E5gi.jpg

I just last week had to LIMIT Fallout 76 CreationEngine to only using 4 pysical cores due to constant freezes with all 8 physical core (no HT) affinity on Windows 11.

OK looks like Windows 11 caused it, but only FO76 is affected cant see any issue with FO4 ... yet.

True...

Given the fact that the so called "update" were expecting will utilize some newer technologies it may include multicore/multithread fixes as well.....

lol look at this for example...

This is obviously in the CK... Where its dragging its feet while moving around in a location mod... ONLY ONE core doing the work... The others are handling background tasks that are running in the OS...Imagine if all cores and threads were active...

v6E5gi.jpg

For ck, I came across some kind of fix package. It replaces some c++ libraries, it is unstable according to reviews, so I was afraid to use it. But he makes ck fly. There are stable 60 or more fps, as in the game. But I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the number of cores involved. It is necessary to read somewhere on this topic ... I mean about ck.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/51165

https://gamer-mods.ru/load/fallout_4/fiksy/f4ck_creationkit_fixes/138-1-0-11319

All in all. As far as I understand... The first link + the second link gives ck game fps in the render.

Edited by South8028