Stupid question.. Nifskope "show collision" button doesnt work

greekrage

Is it just me or are we generally screwed compared to the skyrim community ?

I looked for any reference to this topic but all i found were skyrim vids and topics where the button actually worked...

Is there anyway to see the collision mesh/wire frame without loading up the ck to test ?

collisions visible in nifscop until nif has gone through elrich. After elrich, the collision can be seen in the ck render by pressing F4 (I didn't check, but people have written earlier on the forum). In nifscop, collision is represented as a node. When imported into 3ds, all bs and havok nodes open as bones. The collision is converted to a bone that is the parent of the entire model. Probably, collision is some kind of havok mechanic of rigging a mesh with a specialized bone.

collisions visible in nifscop until nif has gone through elrich. After elrich, the collision can be seen in the ck render by pressing F4 (I didn't check, but people have written earlier on the forum). In nifscop, collision is represented as a node. When imported into 3ds, all bs and havok nodes open as bones. The collision is converted to a bone that is the parent of the entire model. Probably, collision is some kind of havok mechanic of rigging a mesh with a specialized bone.

I take any static from the game like a barrel and still dont see anything like a wireframe that i see in the skyrim vids... Do we even have to pass the vanilla nifs through elrich to see collision ?

Either way i tried even passing a vanilla nif and still cant see anything...

Here is one vid showing the collision mesh in nifskope...(maybe the feature is old or wasnt part of the fallout 4 version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFobDphHdTg

Edited by greekrage

NifSkope doesn't show or handle FO4 collision at all.

The game (havok) uses some proprietary compression or whatever for collision, so the data is treated as a binary blob by NifSkope. It lets you import/export the blob, but that's it.

It uses some proprietary compression or whatever, so it's treaded as a binary blob (which you can import/export), but that's it.

thanks bro....

This was really driving nuts... It made me think that using nifskope for over a year now and not knowing it had this feature made me feel really stupid... :P

It uses some proprietary compression or whatever, so it's treaded as a binary blob (which you can import/export), but that's it.

thanks bro....

This was really driving nuts... It made me think that using nifskope for over a year now and not knowing it had this feature made me feel really stupid... :tongue:

There was a feature which allowed you to actually create collisions by importing an obj as rigid body, but there was some issue as I recall. At least, the 'version' which still needs to be processed by Elrich.

but yeah, you can't see the FO4 havok collisions with nifskope.

Only in CK with F4 as South8028 mentioned. Works for a single object (preview) or an entire cell. Different colors represent different types.

...so to copy and use collisions I usually copied the root node, used that to position it (rotate and move. Scale is ignored ! ) using the original mesh as a reference to know where the collision is, and then delete the mesh (leaving only the collisions data)

edit:

note that CK doesn't handle previewing animated collisions very well. They won't move in the preview during the animation. hitting refresh will show it in the new position. This is true even for animated statics.

However, animating a static (red) collision (rotate, move) doesn't work in-game. It won't move. it has to be an 'anim static' (purple) at least.

Edited by RoNin1971

thanks bro....

This was really driving nuts... It made me think that using nifskope for over a year now and not knowing it had this feature made me feel really stupid... :tongue:

There was a feature which allowed you to actually create collisions by importing an obj, but there was some issue as I recall. At least, the 'version' which still needs to be processed by Elrich.

but yeah, you can't see the FO4 havok collisions with nifskope.

Only in CK with F4 as South8028 mentioned. Works for a single object (preview) or an entire cell. Different colors represent different types.

...so to copy and use collisions I usually copied the root node, used that to position it (rotate and move. Scale is ignored ! ) using the original mesh as a reference to know where the collision is, and then delete the mesh (leaving only the collisions data)

edit:

note that CK doesn't handle previewing animated collisions very well. They won't move in the preview during the animation. hitting refresh will show it in the new position. This is true even for animated statics.

However, animating a static collision (rotate, move) doesn't work in-game. It won't move.

Yeah im aware that we see collisions with F4... and thats how ive been doing it for a while to check models and precombines but was hoping for an easier way to test /see collision without loading up the ck every time...

I take any static from the game like a barrel and still dont see anything like a wireframe that i see in the skyrim vids... Do we even have to pass the vanilla nifs through elrich to see collision ?

Here is one vid showing the collision mesh in nifskope...(maybe the feature is old or wasnt part of the fallout 4 version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFobDphHdTg

nif should not be passed through elrich to see a collision. Your nif created in 3ds won't have collisions at all unless you run it through elrich. When you created a nif in 3ds max and didn't use elrich, you should be able to see your collision in nifscop. After elrich, you will no longer see the collision in nifscop, but the collision will start working in the game.

nif should not be passed through elrich to see a collision. Your nif created in 3ds won't have collisions at all unless you run it through elrich. When you created a nif in 3ds max and didn't use elrich, you should be able to see your collision in nifscop. After elrich, you will no longer see the collision in nifscop, but the collision will start working in the game.

thanks for clearing that up....

Exactly.

& its always wise to check if it looks like it should before passing it to Elrich, as it sometimes does crazy things, or I messed something up myself in the process :tongue:

Edited by RoNin1971