Working TV

K00L

I just had another thought....

As far as the TV shows, the mod could be created to allow for modders to add their own TV shows.... These could range from interviews to comedy skits.

A website would need to be started to house the library of TV shows. and All shows would stream over the internet straight to the games TV. A screening proccess would ne needed to prevent the wrong kind of TV shows. :)

/Sigh .. The more I write down the more I think of. This mod could easily become a huge endevor. Making it work with other modders' added content (like TERMINATOR) and Current and future DLC, will be the biggest challenge.

And yet another thought that just popped in my head.... A MTV station for user submitted music videos. They would stream from the same website.

dont want to break it to you but thats quite unfeasible... making a simple animation like those in vanilla fallout is no problem and theoretically it would even be possible to put a whole show on tv using the animated texture thingy which allows even avis to be played

BUT

practically thats totally crazy... one thing is the sheer amount hard disk space needed, another is the sheer processor power needed which sadly is not available to the broad public yet...

Thanks for the thoughts.

I dont know enough about resource requirement for stuff so I have no idea if something would be too much for the game engine or computer inself. But in my experience. There is almost always a way to get something done. :)

I would be cool if it had all the videos fallout made. Example: Jimmy and the Fat Man.

Since "Captain Cosmos" is a popular show in fallout, you shoot take short screen shots and people talking. Make up a storyline too. (I could give some some ideas for that) There would be 3 or 4 short videos. About 5 minutes.

I like the quest idea with the TV stations, but why not have Three dog ask you for help? Just him because he wants more views about the "Good Fight". He thinks The Adventures of Herbert Daring Dashwood isn't good enough. (Which would be another good show with short pictures of fallout NPCs.

Quest names could be:

Radiation King

Galaxy News Television

Other ideas?

I would be cool if it had all the videos fallout made. Example: Jimmy and the Fat Man.

Since "Captain Cosmos" is a popular show in fallout, you shoot take short screen shots and people talking. Make up a storyline too. (I could give some some ideas for that) There would be 3 or 4 short videos. About 5 minutes.

I like the quest idea with the TV stations, but why not have Three dog ask you for help? Just him because he wants more views about the "Good Fight". He thinks The Adventures of Herbert Daring Dashwood isn't good enough. (Which would be another good show with short pictures of fallout NPCs.

Quest names could be:

Radiation King

Galaxy News Television

Other ideas?

I was thinking the GNTV quest could start automatically when you first turn on the TV. You would get a message telling you that there are no signals. And that you should set out to one of the local TV stations to see about helping with repairs. When you arrive at the GNTV station (location yet decided) you are greeted by some security. After proving yourself as an ally (maybe a collection quest of sorts for materials), you are allowed to speak with management. You then start "The Defense of GNTV". The Enclave has gotten word about the TV station being repaired and wants to claim it for themselves. For a set period of time, you will have to hold off attacks by the Enclave. This battle will be very crazy and filled with action. If the player dies, the quest fails. If the captain of security dies, you fail. If the Enclave reach a specified floor in the tower, the quest fails. This battle with require tactics and a couple followers. There would be several different routes to climb the tower and all must be protected and/or patrolled. When Enclave soldiers are spotted, a siren sounds and an announcement is made as to where they were seen. The player would then have so much time to get to the spot and finish off the wave.

Hows that for an idea? I just thought it up on the fly after I read your post and started my reply.. So please be gentle. :)

cool idea so far, but

a remote? that would be some scripting extra, why not go with a TV that you can use - the 50s had no remotes...

Games? THAT definitely is not going to work! do you want to map extra keys to play pong inside of f3??? i'd stick with the TV

but i guess the holotapes as Video would be nice- you could add a tape and it plays a "animation"-->a movie or something. Maybe it would be possible to add an animation to the pip-boy, so you can watch tv when youre out in the wastes...

cool idea so far, but

a remote? that would be some scripting extra, why not go with a TV that you can use - the 50s had no remotes...

Games? THAT definitely is not going to work! do you want to map extra keys to play pong inside of f3??? i'd stick with the TV

but i guess the holotapes as Video would be nice- you could add a tape and it plays a "animation"-->a movie or something. Maybe it would be possible to add an animation to the pip-boy, so you can watch tv when youre out in the wastes...

I understand that some people wouldnt put things in a mod that didnt exist in the 50s. You know, to kinda stay within the lore. But I just thought it would be ok anyway... I mean 80% of the clothes in the clothing mods werent in the 50s either. :) And if someone wanted, they could use Z to drop the remote into a trash can and ignore it if they wanted.

I dont understand your comment about games and pong... I never mentioned playing games on the TV.

As for showing the video on the pipboy... I dont think they had CRTs small enough and light enough to carry around on your wrist in the 50s... :) :)

Keep your ideas coming... I think we can put together a great idea for a mod eventually.

my bad i didn't understand what you were talking about there:

Release 1

Working TVs, Video Player, and remote control to play videos on the gamers computer. This would also be an ESM so the items could be placed in housing mods.

Then after thats up and running bug free, we add the quests to repair the Galaxy News and Enclave TV Stations. creating the TV shows would then be a major feat. We would need to make hosts, Guests, animations, and do voice acting. Creating the TV shows would be the fun part.

I dont know the first thing about scripting and modding, but I am creative and could write the quests and TV shows.

Lets hear some of your ideas

"play videos on the gamers computer" i made that to "play videogames.." Sorry( was typing before reading or thinking^^)

But anyway the remote idea... a lot of stuff isn't lore, but most of that stuff is awesome and useful(just look at the weapons category xDDDD) a remote why? how do you want to access the remote while sitting? you could make the remote an aid item, that displays the channels, but i would find it useful to just activate the tv and the next channel starts, i don't think the idea is bad, but i would use the idea for release 2 or 3, for the first release you could stick with the tv only..

Thanks for the thoughts.

I dont know enough about resource requirement for stuff so I have no idea if something would be too much for the game engine or computer inself. But in my experience. There is almost always a way to get something done. :)

There might be.

But it would need a lot of computing power which would be a waste for a novelty such as TV.

Perhaps you would take up the cup of making this a reality? :)

Although videogames might be possible. But maybe not in the form that you're thinking.

Text adventure games like Zork are possible.

Or MUDs.

there could be quests to go find recordings from before the "BOOM". And I love the Family Guy idea. There should be multiple channels all coming from the same station. Example, the FO1 Channel with the videos from FO1 and a short movie about the game for those who never played it. FO2 channel (same as FO1, except from FO2). and the GTV and GNTV Channels. after all, we don't only want to watch news do we? And the TV should be a carryable item with a little battery thing on the back^^. I absolutly love this idea!!!!