Weapons that use more than one skill (Energy + Big Guns)

youreviltwinSA

I was wondering if perhaps someone could make a mod that makes the damage and accuracy etc of a weapon dependent on two weapon skills simultaniously. For instance, make gatling lasers use both energy weapons and big guns skill. I was thinking that although this may be impossible in Vanilla Fallout 3, perhaps something like FOSE could be used to make a weapon affected by multiple weapon skills.

That way, you can use a gattling laser quite well if you have high energy skill, or high big guns skill, but to get full 100% performance you'd need 100% skill in both.

All the Fallout games have problems with putting certain weapons in categories... Gatling Lasers should need energy weapons skill, but they are also undeniably "big" guns. In Fallout 1 and 2 they used energy skill while in Fallout 3 they made it use Big Guns skill. And then there's the Tesla Cannon from Broken Steel, an anti-aircraft energy weapon the size of a missile launcher, yet it uses energy weapons skill rather than big guns skil.

Also, the Operation Anchorage gauss rifle... it would be great it if it could use both energy weapons skill and small guns skill. Bethesda made it an energy weapon, because it is a high-tech weapon with a power source, while Fallout 2 had it as a Small Gun, because it had a magazine of 2mm projectiles. Logically, it should use both skills, since it is a high-tech powered small gun.

I'm not sure you could do that. You may be able to add a special effect for when you have a higher skill in the extra dependency. For example, maybe you have high Big Gun and Energy Weapon skills. When you use the Gatling Laser, the high Big Gun gives you the control and accuracy benefits and the high Energy Weapons gives you a higher chance to crit and get the disintegration.

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good compromise.

Also, I'd imagine it should be possible to have it so that having a certain energy weapons skill would add an extra point of damage. Could set the "normal" damage of the weapon lower than in the vanilla game, but then have it add an extra point of damage for each 10 points in energy weapons skill. Perhaps try and balance it so that having 100 in Big Guns and 100 in Energy Weapons would do 150% normal damage.

Time for me to do some research I think! Unless someone else fancies giving it a go?

If you know what you're doing, I say go for it! If you don't know what you're doing I'd be happy to be the creator of your idea. However, you would need to come up with the values for everything, as I am a little busy on some other things.

I know a LITTLE bit about what I'm doing, heh, but not much when it comes to scripts. ;) At the moment I'm actually working on rebalancing the gatling lasers anyway (rate of fire, ammo consumption, accuracy, etc), as part of a larger "Energy Weapon Are Serious Business" mod, which increases the variety and usefulness of energy weapons. Once I've got a balanced gatling laser I'm happy with, I'll come up with some figures.

I'm thinking of having the old Fallout 1 and 2 Gatling Lasers in the game, and renaming Bethesda's Fallout 3 gatling lasers into "Tri-Laser Cannons" or something (since they have three barrels, which don't rotate). I really like the Fallout 3 model, it just doesn't seem right for a "Gatling" weapon, since it has no spinning parts!

Archived