Dialog Glitch / Save Corruption

radiusrsatti

Previously, I've never had issues with NPC dialogue that couldn't be resolved by conflict resolution in xEdit... but...

On my latest test playthrough, after what I'm guessin would be an hour or two (haven't timed it, but have seen it on multiple sessions so far) dialog will short out with NPCs... early game... couple NPCs in question that I've had this trouble with would be Lucan and later Belethor, also saw some trouble with Aela but I think that might have been unrelated

specifically, NPCs with multiple reponses seem to be glitching... Belethor would give me 3 choices on dialog start, I'd select one like asking what he has to sell, then the menu would reset to 5 options and the shop option wouldn't be available... exit and reenter the dialog, there's now 5 choices, but selecting one closes the menu... save and reload fixes it, temporarily

Possibly related, after about the same amount of game time, I can go to save and they'll say IMG corrupted... but they're not... on reload of game, they all show and work properly

This has only been going on for this playthrough, and I've made no major changes since game start except for some record corrections between sessions (leveled lists, textures, small stuff)

22 saves so far and I'm only level 6, direct playthrough and haven't even made it to High Hrothgar yet....

I have a massive load order and don't expect anyone to narrow it down to a mod/s for me

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what to look at or might cause these, either or both

Everything else seems fully functional given the amount of time I've spent in-game so far, and neither of those glitches appear to fatal

SSE 1.5.97

Thanks for any assistance you can give

FYI, topics don't autodelete. nor do they get deleted usually.

Since you apparently solved it, it might be better for everyone if you shared a link to the topic in question, in case someone else might see this thread later on, while searching for the same issue. You know, to save them some time instead of leaving a dead end rabbit hole. A "pay forward" gesture", if you will :wink:

glad you figured out your problem.

the thread in question... https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5196990-false-save-corruption-during-gameplay/

this didn't actually resolve anything (I already have Engine Fixes), but a few posts made note of a maximum reference limit, and while the limit is over 1 million for a modlist and save, my modlist count was at 550k... that's not exceeding, but it is rather high considering base game is only like 50k... adding master flag to Summerset Isle reduced this number to 300k total, so I'm restarting since it was early game anyway, see if it recurs... I'll keep updated if resolved

adding master flag to Summerset Isle reduced this number to 300k total

See, now that's interesting for me right there, just on its own merits.

That comment suggests that some mods might be better off not being "light", (ie esl in Vortex parlance), even if they "can be". Which then leads me to conclude that I need to review which plugins I've manually "lightened" previously (about 50 or 60 afaik) in case I may have accidentally gimped my game here or there along the way.

Thanks.

don't be too excited lol, didn't fix it, glitch is unrelated... new game, from camp site, through helgen dungeon, to Riverwood, accepted the quest of golden claw, ran around a bit collecting stuff, went back to Lucan to sell and repeat of original issue... dialogue glitches and save dialog gives false positive of corrupted save again... back to the drawing board

Side note, Summerset Isle wasn't flagged as lite, was just a standard esp, but its reference count was astronomical in relation to every other mod... since it is a new lands mod with a couple child patches, like Bruma and such, it kinda made sense to flag it as master anyway

Edited by radiusrsatti

Engine Fixes logfile shows several errors, including save files and several plugins

F:\skyrim-dev\repos\EngineFixesSkyrim64\src\patches\miscpatches.cpp(125): [warning] Error occurred trying to open file: fopen_s(C:\Users\*\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\__MO_Saves\Save5_FA59023C_0_526164697573_HelgenKeep01_000041_20230205194443_1_1.ess.tmp, r+b), errno 2
F:\skyrim-dev\repos\EngineFixesSkyrim64\src\patches\miscpatches.cpp(125): [warning] Error occurred trying to open file: fopen_s(C:\Users\*\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\__MO_Saves\Autosave1_FA59023C_0_526164697573_Tamriel_000055_20230205195905_1_1.ess.tmp, r+b), errno 2
F:\skyrim-dev\repos\EngineFixesSkyrim64\src\patches\miscpatches.cpp(125): [warning] Error occurred trying to open file: fopen_s(*\DATA/3 UUAMR- BHUNP3rdPartyArmors p5.esp, rb), errno 24

I'm using MO2, on the assumption the F: drive is virtual... there are 2 error numbers listed...

I've read 2 is ignorable, but I can find nothing on errno 24... there are about 150 errno 24s in the log for the aformentioned gametime

kk think I found it... the answer was buried in the previous linked post, but also listed in page 3 of Engine Fixes mod comments...

EngineFixes.toml

MaxStdio = 2048 # Sets the maximum number of open file handles (default 512), preventing the game from running out with large plugin counts (fixes false save corruption)

change it to something higher, 8192 suggest by Wolfpack49