3dsmax and splines orlines ..starting point.

greekrage

OK...imagine im making a boat and want to add rails to it.

I made the posts using tubes etc and want to add the top of the rail where i use lines.

My issue is that the model (the ship ) obviously isnt flat and sitting at zero "Z "... and when i start my line trying to select the top of the first post the verts go to the bottom of the model .

Is there any way to "snap to the point im selecting ?

This was a real headache because i had 2 lines with about 20 verts each that i had to lift and re-adjust on a model that isnt flat or square ...

Ive noticed this when adding any shape that they never go where you want them but start at the bottom... ( yes i know i can clone the second shape etc.. and move it but this model has an oval shaped railing so imagine that it only makes it harder... )

this is the model in question.....

GYRUwy.jpg

Sorry. I want to help, but I did not understand anything from your description of the problem. I make almost all models from a plane. I just pull out the edges in edit poly. The ship too. If I need a big hi poly, then I pull out the primitive, then turbosmootch, or meshsmooch (I use it), add (cut) and remove the edges. When you need to make a pirilla... I also draw out one section of the railing, shape it, then clone it, butt it and attach it. Docking is simple by pivot and shifted by the size of the boundary vertex coordinates. To avoid gaps, the vertices are welded. All sections of one side are cloned, reflected, then the normal modifier (reverse the normals after mirroring).In general, the figure is a very simple model.

Sorry. I want to help, but I did not understand anything from your description of the problem. I make almost all models from a plane. I just pull out the edges in edit poly. The ship too. If I need a big hi poly, then I pull out the primitive, then turbosmootch, or meshsmooch (I use it), add (cut) and remove the edges. When you need to make a pirilla... I also draw out one section of the railing, shape it, then clone it, butt it and attach it. Docking is simple by pivot and shifted by the size of the boundary vertex coordinates. To avoid gaps, the vertices are welded. All sections of one side are cloned, reflected, then the normal modifier (reverse the normals after mirroring).In general, the figure is a very simple model.

today was my first day using line/spline..but i found mostly everything i needed to know from tutorials..

as this picture explains.... I was working on a preexisting model i made from bits a pieces and wanted to add the rails .

I couldnt make the model separately because the rail as you see is curved but what you cant see is that the surface also tilted from from front to back and each post had to be adjusted on the z axis... SO i had to make it ON the model surface to get it right...

dkzraD.jpg

Edited by greekrage

As the easiest option. Make straight railings. Attach all railing sections to each other. Capture the upper vertices. By scaling, tilt the railing edge by edge along the z-axis. All at the same time. There is no need to clone a corner for each section.

in the end i had all posts collapsed into one object and did scaling and tilting for all and then dropped it onto the "floor" at zero Z axis and did the lines there which was much easier..

I had to learn the hard way :P