Aren't MOD's illegal?

bluesky200

I apologise if I offended anyone, I honestly didn't mean to

ut what about MOD's that incorporate things like Halo or Star wars into Skyrim..... surely that wouldn't be allowed

But I am sure Lucasfilm for example wouldn't waste their time on getting someone into trouble for it.....

I am finding it fun playing as a Stormtrooper running through Riverwood.....

Lore friendly or not..... but just a thought

There is a difference between a mod that contains your own creations and 3rd party stuff that you've got the permission to use or adding ripped content from another game (like 3D models and textures) or sources (like soundtracks) without permission.

Of course that's not permitted, Nexus bans people for releasing such mods because they COULD get intro troubles with the copyright owner since they host the site.

Creating stuff from scratch based on items/designs/music/story whatever from other franchises is more or less a legal grey area - most companies don't care as long as your modding project is no serious threat to their own games/sales.

Edited by ghosu

I have one other question...... related to MODDING

How comes Batman Arkham City doesn't have MOD's like Skyrim and Fallout?

That is the only game other than Skyrim and Sonic Generations I have played the whol e year

Taking models and textures directly from another game is illegal. So, for example, if I took a blaster rifle from Star Wars Battlefront and stuck it in Skyrim, that would be illegal. Nobody from (the now defunct) Lucasarts would really care, but the Nexus has justified rules against that.

You also can't charge money for mods. All mods made for Skyrim are technically considered Bethesda's property, so if a user charged money for them, that would be illegal (and also against Nexus rules).

Otherwise, mods are all legal. Bethesda (the company that made Skyrim) supports mods and helps modders. They release modding tools and tutorials, and sometimes use mods as inspiration for future games.

In short, 99% of mods are totally legal and are even supported by the developers.

All the mods on the Nexus are legal.

Never played that game but not all game engines are the same...might be too difficult to handle for most people or the tools are not free to use / too expensive. Or developers don't want people to add new content so people have to pay for DLC, don't want to spend money/time on developing user friendly modding tools and so on...some games never had official modding kits from the developers but players found ways to mod it using other programs, really depends on the game.

Edited by ghosu

I have one other question...... related to MODDING

How comes Batman Arkham City doesn't have MOD's like Skyrim and Fallout?

That is the only game other than Skyrim and Sonic Generations I have played the whol e year

Some developers support mods, and some don't. It's really that simple.

Skyrim has mods because the developer (Bethesda) supports mods.

The developers that made Arkham City didn't release mod tools, and they generally don't want people to mod their game. They most likely used tight security and a specific engine to make modding almost impossible.

Edited by Rennn