Sudden Skill Diminishing

Adipose

New tactic. Normally I go for heavy armor, big two handed weapon, everything maxed out...including crossbow. This time I thought I'd try something a bit different. Went light armor, maxed out archery, alchemy, destruction magic and enchantment. Everything was just fine. By level forty I had everything double enchanted. Archery was up to four twelve with glass bow and arrows. Had anti magic enchantments on everything enchantable up to 25. Archery enchantments on everything enchantable with that. Was playing dragons as very tough dragons through the tough dragon mod. Finally went up to High Hrothgar and started the main quest. Archery dropped from 412 down to 106 and everything was back to killing me with ease. What happened? Does it have something to do with the early stages of the main quest? Btw, got destruction up to 82 and it's still not worth anything to speak of. I've played the game for a very large number of hours and I'm about to toss it in the furnace and go back to living a real life.