Can i add audio and FX to a model in nifskope like we add light nodes ?

greekrage

Example i have made several navy vessels and want these vessels to be workshop items but i want them to have certain things in the model already active like the engine sound and some smoke from its exhaust....I already added light which is easy once youve done it a few times but never done audio or FX...

Update: smoke was easy since its a nif but have to remove the editor marker and obviously add animated to the BSX flags..

I noticed that you can add sound to the FX in CK but is it possible in Nifskope ?

Here is my latest project...

Aside from the jeep and container this whole thing is one nif and i want to keep it that way.... So adding everything possible to the nif is a must...(btw this is a mashup of 5 different models and MANY edits and additions made in 3dsmax...)... I really learned a lot doing this one... :wink:

Dt7T9M.jpg

Edited by greekrage

If it's an animated .nif, so it has NiControllerSequence, then NiNode >> NiControllerManager >> NiControllerSequence (of the sequence you'd like to add a sound to; e.g., "Open" of a door) >> NiTextKeyExtraData.

In the Block Details area, add a Text Key:

- Time: when to play the sound (how many seconds after the sequence has started, accepts floats like 0.01).

- Value: "Sound: [EditorID of sound]" like "Sound: DRSMetalHousePreWarLoadClose".

Notes:

- for some objects (like actors and activators), you can also add a constant looping sound in the editor.

- possible script method: OnOnit >> ShipHorn.Play(BoatRef).

As for the smoke FX, they're simple BSValueNode >> AddOnNode, like MPSSmokeExhaustDirty01.

If it's an animated .nif, so it has NiControllerSequence, then NiNode >> NiControllerManager >> NiControllerSequence (of the sequence you'd like to add a sound to; e.g., "Open" of a door) >> NiTextKeyExtraData.

In the Block Details area, add a Text Key:

- Time: when to play the sound (how many seconds after the sequence has started, accepts floats like 0.01).

- Value: "Sound: [EditorID of sound]" like "Sound: DRSMetalHousePreWarLoadClose".

Notes:

- for some objects (like actors and activators), you can also add a constant looping sound in the editor.

- possible script method: OnOnit >> ShipHorn.Play(BoatRef).

As for the smoke FX, they're simple BSValueNode >> AddOnNode, like MPSSmokeExhaustDirty01.

Yep. I did exactly that for my wide vault door.

There's a sound node too, which (I think) is for positioning the sound (source).

I like the looks of the ship. As you are making it as a workshop object, you might want to keep an eye on your poly count. Placing a lot of these in one area could be taxing. Might be more realistic if you were to make it an activator or you could attach an activator to it via a script. I suppose its a good exercise in kit bashing but at the end of the day, the ship wouldn't be moving and it would be "running" all the time. If you were to make it an activator you could turn on the engine, spin the propeller, turn on the lights, etc., etc.

I like the looks of the ship. As you are making it as a workshop object, you might want to keep an eye on your poly count. Placing a lot of these in one area could be taxing. Might be more realistic if you were to make it an activator or you could attach an activator to it via a script. I suppose its a good exercise in kit bashing but at the end of the day, the ship wouldn't be moving and it would be "running" all the time. If you were to make it an activator you could turn on the engine, spin the propeller, turn on the lights, etc., etc.

cool ideas and believe me i already have stuff like that in my sights...

Yes i tried to keep poly count as low as possible which was a chore in itself trying to keep the shapes simple and as compact as possible but still retain some detail..

Note this boat is going to be a static that players can use as player home ,outpost etc... I might even make the whole thing into a generator so i can have my effects etc..and have it used as a platform to build/place on...

This hull was originally a kids school project and it lacked a lot of detail . So up to now ive put in about 70% of my work to make it look as it is....and to save time grabbed some parts from other models like the mast for example..

Everything else i made from scratch and edited about 50% of the hull to make rooms,access to all surfaces etc.. ( a lot of cutter and boolean was involved :P )

Problem is im having way too much fun making these and forgetting my main task which was to make a settlement :P

Yes, 3D modeling is just as addicting as game modding is, maybe more so. You learn to mod the game, then you rarely if ever play the game you modded. Then you learn 3d modeling to build new stuff for the game but you reach a point where you almost have to choose: do I make settlement mods or do I make mods to add stuff to the settlement building system. Both are mods and the later probably allows you to explore your creativity in other ways.

But getting back to the static verses activator....the activator, while hard to set up, would like give you more flexibility and synch up things a bit easier.

The rendering engine is not very picky about the number of polygons. I was collecting settlements with a lot of high poly objects and noticed that the textures load the render much more than the high poly meshes themselves. From a performance point of view, it is appropriate to do the opposite. Compensate low resolution textures with mesh quality. CE has such a render. Of course, our engine is far from ue5 (the ue5 renderer is able to process 10 billion polygons in the scene). But here are modest millions of polygons and even tens of millions, ce easily drags. Of course, if you have at least an average video card.

Whatever the engine can or can't handle, I don't know (the limits)

BUT I do now the 'triangle count' is used for how much you can buid in any settlement.

Adding an object with 100000 tri's can eat up your entire allowed build space. (The number of tri's allowed is different for each settlement). Best to not use it for a new settlement (it can be disabled / set to 'infinite'), but that comes with the risk of people buiding to much and performance dropping to a crawl. (but then again, that's their problem)

I'm having similar issues with my own 'vault' settlement. The pieces (walls, floors, rocks etc) I use for my cave are way higher in triangle count. So are some of my workshop pieces. While the build area is bigger as vault 88's. Meanwhile my textures are all 4K (at least for now, I probably release it with 2K and an optional 4K texture patch)

I'm actually hoping for some serious performance upgrade with the announced 'next gen update', so I can stop worrying ;)

Whatever the engine can or can't handle, I don't know (the limits)

BUT I do now the 'triangle count' is used for how much you can buid in any settlement.

Adding an object with 100000 tri's can eat up your entire allowed build space. (The number of tri's allowed is different for each settlement). Best to not use it for a new settlement (it can be disabled / set to 'infinite'), but that comes with the risk of people buiding to much and performance dropping to a crawl. (but then again, that's their problem)

I'm having similar issues with my own 'vault' settlement. The pieces (walls, floors, rocks etc) I use for my cave are way higher in triangle count. So are some of my workshop pieces. While the build area is bigger as vault 88's. Meanwhile my textures are all 4K (at least for now, I probably release it with 2K and an optional 4K texture patch)

I'm actually hoping for some serious performance upgrade with the announced 'next gen update', so I can stop worrying ;)

The situation with high poly rendering is especially visible in the situation with clothes. For fo4, people have made a lot of clothes like Poser and Daz. I laugh every time I open clothing meshes. A fully equipped settler sometimes reaches ~3-4 million polygons. Haha. Clothing creators also like to elegantly complement these high poly meshes with dozens of 4k-8k textures for complete happiness, since the bgs export limit is only 66k polygons, such outfit need a lot of materials.