Can i add audio and FX to a model in nifskope like we add light nodes ?

greekrage

Whatever the engine can or can't handle, I don't know (the limits)

BUT I do now the 'triangle count' is used for how much you can buid in any settlement.

Adding an object with 100000 tri's can eat up your entire allowed build space. (The number of tri's allowed is different for each settlement). Best to not use it for a new settlement (it can be disabled / set to 'infinite'), but that comes with the risk of people buiding to much and performance dropping to a crawl. (but then again, that's their problem)

I'm having similar issues with my own 'vault' settlement. The pieces (walls, floors, rocks etc) I use for my cave are way higher in triangle count. So are some of my workshop pieces. While the build area is bigger as vault 88's. Meanwhile my textures are all 4K (at least for now, I probably release it with 2K and an optional 4K texture patch)

I'm actually hoping for some serious performance upgrade with the announced 'next gen update', so I can stop worrying :wink:

The situation with high poly rendering is especially visible in the situation with clothes. For fo4, people have made a lot of clothes like Poser and Daz. I laugh every time I open clothing meshes. A fully equipped settler sometimes reaches ~3-4 million polygons. Haha. Clothing creators also like to elegantly complement these high poly meshes with dozens of 4k-8k textures for complete happiness, since the bgs export limit is only 66k polygons, such outfit need a lot of materials.

I ran away when a mod author listed 32 GB of ram as a minimum requirement for a clothing mod :laugh: (they look really good but, come on).

Edited by lee3310

Whatever the engine can or can't handle, I don't know (the limits)

BUT I do now the 'triangle count' is used for how much you can buid in any settlement.

Adding an object with 100000 tri's can eat up your entire allowed build space. (The number of tri's allowed is different for each settlement). Best to not use it for a new settlement (it can be disabled / set to 'infinite'), but that comes with the risk of people buiding to much and performance dropping to a crawl. (but then again, that's their problem)

I'm having similar issues with my own 'vault' settlement. The pieces (walls, floors, rocks etc) I use for my cave are way higher in triangle count. So are some of my workshop pieces. While the build area is bigger as vault 88's. Meanwhile my textures are all 4K (at least for now, I probably release it with 2K and an optional 4K texture patch)

I'm actually hoping for some serious performance upgrade with the announced 'next gen update', so I can stop worrying :wink:

The situation with high poly rendering is especially visible in the situation with clothes. For fo4, people have made a lot of clothes like Poser and Daz. I laugh every time I open clothing meshes. A fully equipped settler sometimes reaches ~3-4 million polygons. Haha. Clothing creators also like to elegantly complement these high poly meshes with dozens of 4k-8k textures for complete happiness, since the bgs export limit is only 66k polygons, such outfit need a lot of materials.

:laugh: Yeah, that's actually the reason why I don't worry too much. If the engine can handle a settlement full of that, it should have no problem with my meshes having 2-3x as many triangles as the vanilla ones ;).

Especially since the average GPU can handle a lot more as it could 7 years ago.

...but I won't know until I'm 'done' & build myself a huge vault into my huge cave. (At which point it just might be a matter of 'back to the drawing board' & reduce the lot of it to ugly meshes, as I did decimate them as much as I could, without loosing too much detail. Which is still a lot for stalagmites for example (& only a handfull for stalactites), and I will (want to) add a lot of those).

• 11 months later...

I'm still curious as to whether its possible to somehow add any looping sound to a static workshop item.

Preferably I use a static. The activator route with a 'animation' sequence where the sound is played might work, however I would like to create a scol with some of them too. For which you need statics.

I've created some stuff for wastewater treatment, which together make up an entire plant. To each I would like to add some humming machinery & rushing water sounds and stuff like that.

Worst case I could create the combined version(s) separately (as activator) but then it would be nice to be able to position the sounds (source location) as well. (this thing will be huge / you can walk around on it)

Any info on this would be appreciated as I haven't found much while searching the net.

1 hour ago, RoNin1971 said:

I'm still curious as to whether its possible to somehow add any looping sound to a static workshop item.

Preferably I use a static. The activator route with a 'animation' sequence where the sound is played might work, however I would like to create a scol with some of them too. For which you need statics.

I've created some stuff for wastewater treatment, which together make up an entire plant. To each I would like to add some humming machinery & rushing water sounds and stuff like that.

Worst case I could create the combined version(s) separately (as activator) but then it would be nice to be able to position the sounds (source location) as well. (this thing will be huge / you can walk around on it)

Any info on this would be appreciated as I haven't found much while searching the net.

Here're two approaches you can try, both have pros/cons:

- Scripted way: create a Sound Descriptor, call SoundForm.Play(BuiltStaticItemRef) for example OnLoad and handle special cases like OnWorkshopObjectMoved. (Note: you can use place Sound Marker reference instead and MoveTo it to the built workshop item ref).

- Use a Form like Activator that supports looping sound natively and let the game code handle the sound. (Note: I mean Creation Kit >> Activator >> Sounds >> Looping which sould be more convenient than adding a sound to every .nif).

Edited by LarannKiar

I still have to learn scripting papyrus, so that way might be out of my league for now.

& the activator + looping sound has the downside that only one 'sound' can be selected for looping. For 2 of my objects I would need at least 2. For one of them there is a "pump" on one side of a three tile long object.

Where the rest has rushing water. The ability to 'position' the pump's sound would therefor be nice.

(I'm aware I could mix the sounds and create a new sound file, but I'm trying to use he vanilla stuff, not to add too much beyond my new meshes, unless I really must (same for textures, as they add a lot of MB's to the mod)

edit:

The combined object would need between 4 and 10 preferably positioned sounds to loop.

Edited by RoNin1971

1 hour ago, RoNin1971 said:

I still have to learn scripting papyrus, so that way might be out of my league for now.

& the activator + looping sound has the downside that only one 'sound' can be selected for looping. For 2 of my objects I would need at least 2. For one of them there is a "pump" on one side of a three tile long object.

Where the rest has rushing water. The ability to 'position' the pump's sound would therefor be nice.

(I'm aware I could mix the sounds and create a new sound file, but I'm trying to use he vanilla stuff, not to add too much beyond my new meshes, unless I really must (same for textures, as they add a lot of MB's to the mod)

edit:

The combined object would need between 4 and 10 preferably positioned sounds to loop.

Examples of running audio descriptors in nif. The sound is positioned in the SoundNode space. SoundNode can be copied in nifscop, or created in 3ds (as a child bone). Sounds do not need to be looped in ck. The animation sequence itself is looped, or not looped at will. You can place any number of handles along the timeline in one sequence. You can, for example, voice the work of an entire plant in one sequence. I had no need to do this, but I am sure that one nif can accommodate any number of SoundNodes and all sounds will be positioned as indicated at the end of the tags SoundNode01, 02, etc.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/hDAbzoy46egj-A

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South8028 said:

Examples of running audio descriptors in nif. The sound is positioned in the SoundNode space. SoundNode can be copied in nifscop, or created in 3ds (as a child bone). Sounds do not need to be looped in ck. The animation sequence itself is looped, or not looped at will. You can place any number of handles along the timeline in one sequence. You can, for example, voice the work of an entire plant in one sequence. I had no need to do this, but I am sure that one nif can accommodate any number of SoundNodes and all sounds will be positioned as indicated at the end of the tags SoundNode01, 02, etc.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/hDAbzoy46egj-A

That sounds perfect. Thanks!