VATS Non-Living Target Options....?

timping1

Don't know if anyone has submitted this idea yet, but if one could target objects like cars, fire extinguishers, oxygen tanks etc. through vats for new, interesting strategy/dramatic options. Close range and far range, depending on current skill. An alternate color highlight for that option apart from from organic targets while in vats?

Of course we've all shot out a generator controlling a Behemoth's cage and watched in dark glee from afar, but could this be made more fun? Could a better cascading/domino effect be made more entertaining with expanded vats targeting?

VATS is.....tricky to tinker with. It's been hardcoded to not do stuff, and non-NPC/Creature targets might be one of those.

Rofl, 'its been hardcoded to not do stuff' thats perhaps the funniest way of phrasing a fact that I have ever heard.

If there is perhaps a way to make a version of a fire extinguisher to be a living character... then its possible.

Like maybe you could make a fire extinguisher that is actually a mirelurk, but it behaves the same way a normal fire extinguisher does, it might be possible like that, idk tho.

It's not just the VATS that's hardcoded.

It's also the designations in GECK and Fallout.

VATS work on actors such as NPCs or creatures. But since a fire extinguisher or a generator is a world object (static, if I'm not mistaken), VATS won't recognize it.

An item needs to have Body Part Data to be targetable in VATS. Only actors and creatures can have body part data. It would be easy to make a fire extinguisher a creature and then replace all normal fire extinguishers with it. Care must be taken to make the creature immobile, otherwise it'll move around when you're not looking...

An item needs to have Body Part Data to be targetable in VATS. Only actors and creatures can have body part data. It would be easy to make a fire extinguisher a creature and then replace all normal fire extinguishers with it. Care must be taken to make the creature immobile, otherwise it'll move around when you're not looking...
I see.

I think if the fire extinguisher mesh doesn't have animations and such, it won't move.

And can you add Body Part Data to a static?

Perhaps FO3Edit can do so. I'm just assuming..

Animations shouldn't be a problem, but walking would be. Maybe the extinguisher-creatures could have a travel package which targets themselves? I'm afraid the VATS won't check if the static has PartData or not but loses interest to the object once it sees it's a static. That is even if there was some way to hack PartData to statics (I don't know if there is).

I see. I get it.

You're saying the fire extinguisher creatures can just move. Can a creature move without a package?

Anyhow, getting VATS to work on non-living targets seem to be a lot of work.

I'm not sure, but I was fearing they would do some random wandering even without a package, or appear in some other location when you go away for some time and come back. Even if they don't do that I think they will either flee or charge if you attack them if they have no packages.

"Creatures" without animations won't move, but the immobile checkbox needs to be ticked in the animation tab, otherwise the game will always automatically place the creature in a "valid position" as soon as the "creature" is loaded (when the player enters the area).

Archived