Stolen items get un-stolen (placed in containers)

Nocturne2542

...and vice versa. I am going to start by saying that I'm unsure if this is caused by a mod or not; it seems to be a vanilla bug BUT that it was fixed by the 1.2 patch...apparently this fix isn't working for my game and I am wondering if anyone has an idea as to why? The only thing that I can think of is that I have some mod that overwrites the vanilla patch changes, but I'm no modder. Is that even possible? If yes, then what kind of mod(s) may be causing this and if "no" then do you have any idea why this is happening?

I've tried making a brand new clean install and creating a brand new character but the problem persists. Stolen items randomly gets unflagged, usually after some time. I've also discoevered another major bug: taking back confiscated items does not count as stealing - i.e. I can walk right up to the evidence chest and take back my items while the guards are staring at me WITHOUT incurring a bounty... I have been trying to resolve this issue for weeks now but noone seems to have encountered this problem and or is able to provide any assistance. I've tripple-checked that all my mods are the correct version and that I have no known conflicts. I am at a total loss.

Please help!

Edited by Nocturne2542

There *are* afaik mods that change the stolen status. Whether they work automatically in the background or not, idk. Possibly. While some mods start their lives" disabled (requiring enabling in their respective MCMs), some mods start off enabled by default. And if you don't modify those settings, they're going to do whatever they do. And whether or not you're using any of those mods, idk. Apparently so, since vanilla doesn't auto-strip the "stolen" flag.

There *are* afaik mods that change the stolen status. Whether they work automatically in the background or not, idk. Possibly. While some mods start their lives" disabled (requiring enabling in their respective MCMs), some mods start off enabled by default. And if you don't modify those settings, they're going to do whatever they do. And whether or not you're using any of those mods, idk. Apparently so, since vanilla doesn't auto-strip the "stolen" flag.

So you think that it IS mod-related? Do you happen to know what any of these mods are?

EDIT

I just now noticed that stolen keys immediately turn legitimate in my inventory...

Edited by Nocturne2542

Well, I think it's not normal. and anything not normal I usually associate with some mod or another.

No I don't know any mods in particular (by name etc). I just saw or read about it/them in passing. A widenet search might produce results, or start scanning the Nexus "mod categories" pages.

good luck.

PS> AFAIK, any cheat/hack/fix/tweaks/etc mod might have settings for something like this too...ex: those ones with ini files.

Well, I think it's not normal. and anything not normal I usually associate with some mod or another.

No I don't know any mods in particular (by name etc). I just saw or read about it/them in passing. A widenet search might produce results, or start scanning the Nexus "mod categories" pages.

good luck.

PS> AFAIK, any cheat/hack/fix/tweaks/etc mod might have settings for something like this too...ex: those ones with ini files.

I'll keep searching, thanks alot for your reply!

Edited by Nocturne2542

Okay, I just completed the "Golden Claw" quest and noticed that as soon as the Claw is given back to Lucan, my Miner's Clothes becomes unstolen... It seems that as soon as a script that edits my character's inventory is run (which mostly means giving away or receiving quest items) the game chooses one of my stolen items and reverses the flag... I tried putting the Miners Clothes on Faendal before turning in the Claw but when I went bacdk to recieve the clothes they were once again flagged as perfectly legal...

I tried disabling all plugins in Vortex and yet the bug still persists. What the hell is causing this?!

EDIT

Figured I'd post my load order incase there is something wierd with it.

Active Plugins:

00 Skyrim.esm
01 Update.esm
02 Dawnguard.esm
03 HearthFires.esm
04 Dragonborn.esm
05 ccBGSSSE001-Fish.esm
06 ccQDRSSE001-SurvivalMode.esl
07 ccBGSSSE037-Curios.esl
08 ccBGSSSE025-AdvDSGS.esm
09 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp [Version 4.2.8]
0A FlowerGirls SE.esm [Version 3.0.2]