Anyway to reduce colour banding in DDS?

iqoniq

I created a texture (fully opaque) in Photoshop, and saved it as BC7. The texture isn't anything complicated, mainly green, and has a glow (Photoshop added - not anything in the material file) around it (similar to this, but without the scanline effect). In the CK it looks as intended, but in the game you can see a lot of colour banding (very similar to the first image in this example) , and weird artifacts (caused by the mipmap filter?).

I had a look at what could be wrong, and I figured it was using a 24-bit mode on something that's going to display it as 8-bit. I then recreated the graphic as in 8-bit, and it didn't look too bad (or at least better than it did in the game). Once again I try it and there's colour banding and artifacting again.

I spent ages going through various combinations and trying stuff, searching the net, and I'm having no joy. I'm literally learning as I go with this, and I'm really stepping out my comfort zone, and I'd really appreciate any help (or even just tips to minimise it would be great).

Thanks in advance.

I created a texture (fully opaque) in Photoshop, and saved it as BC7. The texture isn't anything complicated, mainly green, and has a glow (Photoshop added - not anything in the material file) around it (similar to this, but without the scanline effect). In the CK it looks as intended, but in the game you can see a lot of colour banding (very similar to the first image in this example) , and weird artifacts (caused by the mipmap filter?).

I had a look at what could be wrong, and I figured it was using a 24-bit mode on something that's going to display it as 8-bit. I then recreated the graphic as in 8-bit, and it didn't look too bad (or at least better than it did in the game). Once again I try it and there's colour banding and artifacting again.

I spent ages going through various combinations and trying stuff, searching the net, and I'm having no joy. I'm literally learning as I go with this, and I'm really stepping out my comfort zone, and I'd really appreciate any help (or even just tips to minimise it would be great).

Thanks in advance.

I assume problem is in material file and nif. You need configure material file and texture need mach the material file transparency options. Or you just simple can made texture colour transparency and change alpha property in nif to made nif fully transparent. Note: material file needs mach transparency options too.

In nifscope you need modify flag in Nialphaproperty as 237

Edited by Elsidia1