Vortex not doing well -- plugins not loading, staging folder buggy

Fractalbase
Go to solution Solved by Guest deleted34304850,

I've appreciated using Vortex for my mod managing requirements.

But lately, things haven't been going well.

Firstly, now Vortex is complaining that certain folders can't be removed or deployed. (Sorry for the lack of specific messages.)

I end up deleting the staging folder for the mod I want to remove through windows.

I've noticed SKSE64 detecting updates in the game folder, which is odd to me.

And now my modded skyrim se isn't loading. I'm trying to debug to see the issue.

Yesterday, with all SKSE DLLs temporarily removed except for CrashLogger.dll, EngineFixes.dll, and SSEDisplayTweaks.dll, the game would load, but as if no non-vanilla/native plugins were deployed.

Which is weird, because most plugins are enabled in Vortex. It seemed SKSE wasn't loading loadorder.txt or plugins.txt from C:\Users\crichmond\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition

Then I learn of a profile location for loadorder.txt and plugins.txt at C:\Users\crichmond\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\skyrimse\profiles\rybIzrzw3 which is news to me and I don't know if is used anyway.

Basically, I think I messed up Vortex somehow and SSE isn't loading properly. I'm cleaning my staging folder through the Mods tab of Vortex as much as possible.

But I'm looking for a solution as to why SSE is acting weird and how to return SSE to a "vanilla" state so that I can re-apply the mods I use through Vortex.

Or ANY other nuggets of wisdom for my situation.

• Solution
Guest deleted34304850

well, you've done a number there.

if it was me, i'd purge all my mods, then i'd delete the data folder, then i'd verify game files via steam to get a completely vanilla re-install of the game. then i'd start that game and make sure it starts up clean.

that would give me my base.

then i'd fire up vortex and i'd correctly tell it where my mod staging folder is, i'd set my deployment method, then i'd set my downloads folder.

once i did that, i'd drag a single mod into vortex from my download folder and install it, deploy it, then i'd start the game and make sure that it tells me mods are loaded and the game works as i expect it to.

that's what i'd do.