Perryman [WIP]

Leadpipe

Thank you Baelkin. That's the sort of thing I've been looking for. I know this because when I read it I thought "I should have thought of that!" Even though it adds one more thing to my to-do list, I think the perk(s) approach is the appropriate approach for what I'm trying to achieve.

Traditional BoS would likely just move in and retrieve their Initiate by force. If these are Lyons' BoS, perhaps they're starting to rethink their general benevolence toward "locals". Maybe you're already thinking of including this as part of your storyline.

Sorta exactly. Another small problem I had with vanilla Fallout 3 is that there never seemed to be any conflict between anyone and the BoS in Fallout 3. I found the Fallout Tactics interpretation of the BoS to be somewhat more realistic, something more than just a boy scout troupe in power armor. Militants with guns making demands on local populations will come into conflict with them, I'm afraid. But yeah, the threat of force on the part of the brotherhood is real.

As to where I currently am:

I've been seeing a strange problem with this map. You'll see in the picture above how its laid out, and you'll be able to note how nothing overlaps or passes over or under anything. But when I enter the map through the game, the map seems to think I've got two tiles in the same place even though they're nowhere near each other. (see screencaps)

What I've done to try to fix this is to split the map into two separate cells, then move the conflicting map tiles to the opposite side. This seems to have fixed it, but my question is why was this happening? Does anyone have any ideas?

As well, I'm having that sideways hat thing with a Lincoln's Hat item that I changed only slightly. I didn't do any model/texture work, just renamed and removed enchantments to create a mundane top hat. Any ideas there? (Edit: I see this has been answered a few dozen times. Mea Culpa. I know better.)

Anyway, I'm stoked to see people interested in this mod. Thanks for your comments/questions/suggestions so far.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As well, I'm having that sideways hat thing with a Lincoln's Hat item that I changed only slightly. I didn't do any model/texture work, just renamed and removed enchantments to create a mundane top hat. Any ideas there?

Anyway, I'm stoked to see people interested in this mod. Thanks for your comments/questions/suggestions so far.

I can't help you with the issue you are having with duplicate environments, but to solve the issue with the hat turning up sideways, enter the character menu and pick "Update Facegen Compatibility" - this should align the new item properly to the character's head. It's a pretty common problem though, so a quick search here on "sideways" would have yielded a solution. :whistling:

Yeah, about the hat thing. My naughty. I found it. I know better than to ask before searching.

As to the duplicate environments, to clarify: it wasn't duplicating the tiles, it was moving them wholesale. I've got the suspicion that it has to do with occlusion planes. I'll screw around with that some tonight.

Can I get the Plague Doctor outfit meshes and textures?

if so, I'd like them if you can get them to me.

Of course, I'll play your mod when it comes out as well.

This looks cool, I'd like to see it in action.

The only other comment I have is that You probably shouldn't use a subway station mesh. It gets a certain degree of ire from me since it's used so often. I wouldn't care if you used the Vault mesh or something similar, though. Just don't want to have to explore more subway stations, you know what I mean?

As to the plague doctor meshes and textures, that's up to nuenen. I don't believe that it's done yet, though. When it is, I imagine he'll put it up for download.

About the tiles thing, I've figured it out. It seems that I'd run into an invisible wall or limit of the workable area and anything I placed outside of that would appear in the geck correctly, but would stack up at the coc marker.

Current problem I'm facing is light FX not showing up properly. I haven't done a search on it yet, so if you know it's out there, cool. I don't mean to be giving you cause for irritation. Preemptive defense: I'm trying to use this thread as a dev diary of sorts as well. At this point, I'm mentioning it for tracking purposes, but it does give me the opportunity to post one of the creepiest screenshots I've taken so far.

There's supposed to be lighting effects in there. Well, that's tomorrow's troubleshooting project.

Oh, and @gerazzi. As I was building the map in the first place I had a similar thought. "Oh, god. What am I doing putting another subway line in here?" It was my intention to make it a cave structure, but I got a bit carried away with the metro tile set. I promise that this will be the only metro interior I use in this package. As well, with my current plan, it's conceivable that you won't have to go there at all.

Lastly, thanks again for any comments/criticism/suggestions. It's good to to get feedback/input.

i like that screenshot, its rather... unnerving.

yeah i can put the outfit up before hand, if thats cool with everyone.. its almost done, but im in the process of trying to rerig the whole thing in hopes that it will fix a small hole in the mesh. also im not 100% done the textures because i havent had much time to be in photoshop lately. but ill keep you guys updated.

its sounding good so far Leadpipe, let me know if theres anything else i can do to help.. i can usually work on models slowly while im at my day job, so if there are any little things you can think of that would help with the setting/story ill try to do it.

cheers

About the unnerving, at this point it all looks really creepy as its not properly lit, but there's always something particularly unnerving about posed statues lit from below in an otherwise dark room.

So, the way it's looking, I should be done with clutter this weekend and on to lighting the place. Depending on how that goes, I should be so lucky as to be on to the glorious drudgery that is navmesh by Monday. The only caveat there is that I might have to make time to dig around in Point Lookout for a little while. Depending on how engaging I find that (or how many cool objects I can steal) might kibosh some of my modding time. Apart from that, this interior should be done with the mapping part in a week or two.

I haven't been able to find an answer to the lighting FX issue I'm having, so I'm open to input. What's happening specifically is that the light effects aren't showing up when I'm in the room, but they show clearly when I'm outside it. The pictures below were taken when there was an issue with a room-marker (thus why you won't see the tiles in the room), but I've since moved it to a new cell and removed all room markers and I'm still getting the same type of results.

With this interior nearing completion, I've got to think about what to move on to and debating whether to work on other interiors, the tools for which I'm a bit more comfortable, or whether to start in on the Worldspace that I'll inevitably have to tinker with. Decisions!

@Nuenen, I appreciate the support. I'll let you know if there's anything that's make-or-break that I can't work without. The only thing I'm really aching for is a mirror image of that guy-holding-a-hoop statue that peppers the Capital Wasteland, but it's not a necessity. Generally speaking, though, the things that flip my switch are usually the most mundane, if they're well done. I'm in to simple stuff, like a shovel melee weapon, or a lantern that can be carried by an NPC. A general request I'll make is for statuary as that's one of the visual motifs I'm aiming for with this. There's already loads of it in the vanilla build, though, so I can probably make due with that.

If anyone sees something I'm doing and they think of something that they could do to add to it, by all means, bring it up! Unless it works directly against what my intentions are, I'll probably be pretty receptive to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found precious little time to dig around in the forums lately (actually have had work to do at work). So, how to catch up...

I've gotten through lighting and I'm in the middle of Navmesh. I should be done with that tonight, if all goes well. By the end of the week, I hope to be done with optimization and population, which will leave this map done, mostly. I'm sure I'll come back and make little adjustments and drop effects here and there as the notion strikes me.

Next, I think I'll start digging around in the worldspace creation, as that's probably going to be the next biggest pain to deal with, but also probably the most rewarding part of it.

Just thought I'd pop in with an update. Sorry I haven't had a chance to take any screenshots, but there's not a whole lot to see at this point. It looks pretty good all lit up.