Perryman [WIP]

Leadpipe

Popping in for an update:

A trend I'm noticing while working on this is that while I try to shape what exists in terms of tilesets and objects into what I had envisioned, new shapes start to form and things get out of hand very quickly.

What I mean by this is that what had originally started as a plan for 1 worldspace and 3 major interiors has quickly turned into 3 worldspaces and 6 major interiors (so far). As such, I'm beginning to be extremely efficient at navmeshing and fairly efficient at creating non-specific interiors. This should serve me well, as this mod has ballooned into something that will be (hopefully) smaller than the official expansions out there, but comparable in size. As such, don't hold your breath, waiting for this. I fully intend to finish it, but it's going to be a long time coming.

I don't think I'm going to post a whole lot more in terms of pictures, to keep a sense of exploration about it. The exception will be, of course, when there are problems that I can't figure out. Those are (thankfully) coming fewer and further between, but I'm sure will flare up again when I around to questing, scripting and AI, though I'm not sure how 'visible' those will necessarily be.

I've got the water thing figured out - turned out to be fairly simple (though tedious), but it pays off when you're done. I never used to understand developers jerking themselves off about how good their water looks, but now I have some sympathy for it.

I'm currently fighting a CTD problem with that exterior metro station cell seen in my last set of screenshots. It would seem that a cell adjacent to it is approaching the memory threshold for exterior cells, which must be based on objects that it has to render in adjacent cells, so I'm converting that to its own worldspace to try to work that out. If anyone reads this and has any experience with CTDs in an exterior, please let me know what your pitfalls were.

Anyway, if nothing else, this is just to inform you all that I'm still sloughing away at it.

And, as always, if anyone has anything they'd like to contribute/see in this mod, let me know.

I think I'm going to end up having to request graffiti and signs somewhere down the line, so, if you've got nothing else going on, check back in a month or two. I'll probably have more specifics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic