Rorshach sound files?

Ubersama

Recently I stumbled upon this mod (

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4438 ) where you get the Rorshach outfit. After a little punching, slashing, shooting and killing with the Watchmen vigilante, it was a little disappointing to me that the attackmove audio wasn't Rorshach at all, obviously. Just Vanilla Fallout 3 manly grunts. Since I've seen several mods that change the voice of the player's character, I thought it shouldn't be that hard to add Rorshach's grunts in from the game Watchmen: The End Is Nigh (Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSjT1nYSJHk )

Figured I'd turn off music and effects, and have the masked menace wail around while recording with Magix Music Maker. Unfortunately my recording hardware is a simple headset and thus the quality simply... blows, and sounds very midi-like. Also, I haven't the faintest idea what MMM is capable of other than record and save, and getting to know the program would take me a hell of a long time, which I don't have. Even then, I wouldn't know what type of file is required for Fallout 3 to recognize the audio.

There are no audio files in the game's folder itself, and ripping it isn't possible I think. There aren't any Rorshach audio files to be found without movie/game music playing in the background. But I might have missed a website, I'm not sure. So yeah, all I'm really asking for is someone willing to create/rip/record these sound files, or to help me getting them. If you think it's not possible to pull this off, you might just be right. But it would be damn cool if it would work.

Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Ubs

Please note that we can't help by redistributing content from another game(eg, noone here can get what your after and give it to you), that'd be a copyright violation. However, for purely hypothetical and educational purposes, you can certianly ask around as to how it might be possible. :wink:

First up, forget about recording the sounds, even with the best possible equipment it just isn't gonna work all that well. Your best bet is to get the sound files themselves, which is gonna be a bit complicated. Not having a copy of that game, I can't say this with any certianty, but I'd suspect that the audio files are buried within a compressed archive file of some sort or another(Fallout hides it's voice files in a BSA, Source engine games like Half-Life 2 put everything into .pak files, ect). Just look for the biggest files you can find and start by seeing if you can open them with 7zip or a simmilar utility. If it doesn't, there's still hope, but it won't be easy.

At any rate, once you can extract the files, it's just a matter of renaming them(to match the files in the sound replacer) and dumping them in the proper folders(odds are the files themselves are standard .wav files).

@sevekah: just out of curiosity, why would recording the sounds not work?

@ubersama: you may also want to look into something more along the lines of total recorder, which can capture the audio passing through your system, rather than magix. if thats the route you plan on going.

its an interesting thought, and if i knew anyone that could do a rorschach voice i would be tempted to record it myself.

Thanks for the heads up Sevekah. Although I have no experience with file-extraction whatsoever, I'll take a look.

Neunen this 'total recorder' you spoke of, is it a program? As soon as I get home I'll google it and look things up. Lastly, I can do a Rorschach voice, never really thought of recording it myself. I might just give it a try :P

Appreciate the help, I'll update progress later today!

http://totalrecorder.com

its essentially the audio version of fraps, you can record the audio from any application. im not entirely sure how limited the demo version is though. there may be free alternatives, if i can recall any ill let you know.

but remember that if you do take the sounds from the game, you cant upload them here, as it would be illegal to share them.

edit: heres an example of a free one

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Sound-Record...4-10698910.html

but im not 100% certain that it allows you to record directly from any program, it might work though

@neunen, I'd forgotten about recorders that can pull the audio directly from the system, so that'll make for a good plan B if he can't get straight to the files themselves.

Also, it turns out there's a demo of the game on steam, so I'll get that installed and take a look at the file structure myself, see if I can learn something usefull.

Neunen, you're a genius. I used Sound Recorder, tested it after changing a few settings, and the sound quality is near-perfect! But, we're (I am) not there yet. Next step is to cut the files up into seperate pieces with the appropriate names so Fallout detects them. They should be .wav, if I'm not mistaken? I currently have a player voice change mod installed so I might check that for reference. I'll try mp3Cutter to chop 'em up. I'll let you know here if it's worked.

Update: Alright, so far I've managed to do every step but one. Record, cap the grunts/shouts, convert them from .mp3 to .Ogg (seems to be compatible) and insert them in the mod's files that changes the PC voice. However it doesn't work in-game, unfortunately. Just silence when I use power attacks.

I'm thinking this is because I replaced the voice files from this mod's folder, instead of somehow implementing them in FO3 itself. Perhaps create a separate folder? I don't know. This is probably a simple matter involving the G.E.C.K., but I could use your advice on this.

as for me, im afraid i havent looked at sound files in the geck yet, but if i get some spare time i can try to take a look. someone who has already poked around might be able to give you advice in the meantime though

Archived